There are a few better things to do. (This does not come with a warranty, you are responsible for any software issues caused by running any of these scans.) That being said, I work at an MSP and use these tools daily.
1) Download and run rkill: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/
2) Download and run MalwareBytes (note, do not install pro): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/
3) Download and run combofix (note, you will lose internet connection): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/
4) Download and run tdsskiller: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tdsskiller/
5) Scan your PC with your preferred AV software: I use AVG for personal computers and Kaspersky for work PC's.
6) Reboot and type "msconfig" in the run box.
Go to startup then uncheck anything you do not want to automatically start with your PC. Be conservative and see how quickly it starts. I find that 99/100 times it doesn't hurt to uncheck something, but you might have software you want to start with your PC.