Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU overheating strangely

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 12, 2013 6:02:39 AM

Last week I upgraded my graphics card from Asus Geforce 210 1GB DDR2(EN 210 silent) to Gigabyte Geforce GTX 650Ti 2GB GDDR5(Winforce 2X).

Since then my cpu is overheating.Idle temp of CPU is around 50C and while playing games likes BF3,NFS MW 2012,AC 3 it reaches around 80C.But as soon as I minimize the game the temperature falls down rapidly to around 60C.Graphics card temperature when idle is around 32C and under load reaches till 50C which seems perfect.Temp of the cpu during startup itself is around 55-60C and then comes down to 50C.Here are the specs of my pc:

i5 760
gtx 650ti
gigabyte H55M S2H
Transcend 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz ram.(2*2GB)
1 500GB SATA HDD
1 80GB PATA HDD
1 CD-DVD W/RW from LG
X tech 500W PSU.


I know the PSU is a bit crappy but as per the instructions given by the graphics card manual,minimum of a 400W psu is required.And yeah,my pc never crashed or restarted under load or gave any BSODs.So I don't think the PSU is at the fault.
I cleaned the case fans,heatsink and everything but nothing helped.
The cables inside the case are not really well managed.So I tried keeping the case open so that there is sufficient air flow but still there was no significant change(only around 5C).
I even reapplied the thermal paste and reseated the heatsink.Even that didn't help.
The room temperature is around 30C if that really matters.
Tried Y!A but got no helpful replies.This forum is my last hope.Please help.:(  :??: 


P.S. Can low end psu cause overheating of cpu???
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a c 83 à CPUs
March 12, 2013 6:10:39 AM

if it is not your heat sink then it could be the voltage that the CPU is running. check to make sure you are not over volting the CPU. also make sure the CPU fan is spinning up properly. If the fan stays at to low of an rpm this can happen to. the reason for higher temps is because the CPU is working harder because your playing more demanding games.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2013 6:13:54 AM

Assume you looked to make sure the CPU fan is still operational? Can you change the fan speed in the BIOS? I don't think those are unreasonable temperatures given you have a stock fan and hot room. Could try to add another intake in the front and exhaust in the back.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a c 103 à CPUs
March 12, 2013 6:17:08 AM

If all else fails get a better cooler.
m
0
l
March 12, 2013 6:19:03 AM


If all else fails get a better cooler.
m
0
l
March 12, 2013 6:22:17 AM

bgunner said:
if it is not your heat sink then it could be the voltage that the CPU is running. check to make sure you are not over volting the CPU. also make sure the CPU fan is spinning up properly. If the fan stays at to low of an rpm this can happen to. the reason for higher temps is because the CPU is working harder because your playing more demanding games.



I'm using CPUID to check the temperatueres.
In CPU VCORE,the max. voltage is 1.28V and min. is 0.91V.
So are those normal???
Also the cpu fan seems to spin normally at around 65C it spins at around 3000RPM otherwise at 2200RPM.

I know that the high temp is due to the hard work but the earlier the cpu never went above 65C.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a c 83 à CPUs
March 12, 2013 6:22:49 AM

that is a high temp. if the side cover is off the pc does it stay a lot cooler? 80°C is a high temp for the CPU JED. thinking bad air flow through case.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2013 6:23:48 AM

The i5 760 is a 95 watt cpu so they do run hot. But 80 is a bit much. I would check that the heatsink is mounted correctly, it sound like you dont have enough mounting pressure on the heatsink.

Remember with stock heat sinks the arrows on the plastic clips point toward the unlocked position. In this position they will click in but will not lock tight.

To mount the heatsink correctly you turn the plastic clips away form the arrows then click them straight down.
m
0
l
March 12, 2013 6:27:16 AM

bucknutty said:
The i5 760 is a 95 watt cpu so they do run hot. But 80 is a bit much. I would check that the heatsink is mounted correctly, it sound like you dont have enough mounting pressure on the heatsink.

Remember with stock heat sinks the arrows on the plastic clips point toward the unlocked position. In this position they will click in but will not lock tight.

To mount the heatsink correctly you turn the plastic clips away form the arrows then click them straight down.



Okay..I will just check the heatsink again.


m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2013 6:28:13 AM

Restore BIOS to defaults. Uninstall Speedfan or simillar fan controling software.

From mine experience (my rig Quad q6600 @3.0 stock cooler 55 C at full load) there is something that's not right with CPU cooling. Probably to much thermal compound applied or the heatsink legs are not sitting well.It is easy to overlook those kind of things.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a c 83 à CPUs
March 12, 2013 6:35:04 AM

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i5-76...

according to X bits screen shot your voltage is a little high. at stock they have their volts at 1.136 which is way lower than what you have it set for. try setting it for 1.14 and give that a try. i'm willing to bet this is part of if not all of the issue.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2013 7:44:04 AM

Thanks for the info bgunner. I was basing "reasonable" temp off the fact that his CPU has a higher TDP, his room is 10C hotter, and his fan is less effective, than mine and I reach 65C under full load. Didn't seem crazy or anything :)  I didn't take my OC into account tho.
m
0
l
March 12, 2013 9:22:17 AM

bgunner said:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i5-76...

according to X bits screen shot your voltage is a little high. at stock they have their volts at 1.136 which is way lower than what you have it set for. try setting it for 1.14 and give that a try. i'm willing to bet this is part of if not all of the issue.



I installed cpu-z.The core voltage is fluctuating between 1 and 1.3 V.Most of the time its 0.928V.
m
0
l
March 12, 2013 9:29:05 AM

@bucknutty I reseated the heatsink properly and also reapplied the thermal paste.
The idle temperature has come down by around 5C and now its around 46C which is somewhat near to the original temp before upgrading.
The cpu temp under load is now around 77C.


So guys is it safe to play at 77-80C.Or would affect the life???
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a c 83 à CPUs
March 12, 2013 3:13:32 PM

yes it will effect the life of the chip. Heat is a major killer of electronic parts. Like I mentioned lower the core voltage. Unless your overclocking there is no need for that chip to have near 1.28V to run at stock. More volts, more heat and the faster the chip will die. This is the reason for bigger coolers to dissipate the heat. Set your Core Voltage to 1.14V-1.15V and it will cut that heat right down to normal temps and still run fine.

The reason for the .928 volts it the cpu is using the power saving capability it has. This is normal and only happens when the CPU is not in use but the max voltage is what you need to pay attention to. Example: My cpu needs 1.35 to run at stock and max temps of 42°C but at 1.5V at stock speeds it runs 49°C max temps. Then with my overclock I max at 52°-54°C @ 21°C ambient temperature. As you can see Just voltage will increase heat.
m
0
l
March 13, 2013 5:13:37 AM

bgunner said:
yes it will effect the life of the chip. Heat is a major killer of electronic parts. Like I mentioned lower the core voltage. Unless your overclocking there is no need for that chip to have near 1.28V to run at stock. More volts, more heat and the faster the chip will die. This is the reason for bigger coolers to dissipate the heat. Set your Core Voltage to 1.14V-1.15V and it will cut that heat right down to normal temps and still run fine.

The reason for the .928 volts it the cpu is using the power saving capability it has. This is normal and only happens when the CPU is not in use but the max voltage is what you need to pay attention to. Example: My cpu needs 1.35 to run at stock and max temps of 42°C but at 1.5V at stock speeds it runs 49°C max temps. Then with my overclock I max at 52°-54°C @ 21°C ambient temperature. As you can see Just voltage will increase heat.




The max core voltage reached till 1.4V and the temperature was 78C and also the cpu was running at stock speed.So does it mean high voltage is only the factor for overheating of the cpu in my case and not my crap psu??
If so can you please give the name of the good software for voltage tweaking and step by step process for changing the voltage??Any links will also do.
Thanks.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a c 83 à CPUs
March 13, 2013 1:27:44 PM

fatfox said:
bgunner said:
yes it will effect the life of the chip. Heat is a major killer of electronic parts. Like I mentioned lower the core voltage. Unless your overclocking there is no need for that chip to have near 1.28V to run at stock. More volts, more heat and the faster the chip will die. This is the reason for bigger coolers to dissipate the heat. Set your Core Voltage to 1.14V-1.15V and it will cut that heat right down to normal temps and still run fine.

The reason for the .928 volts it the cpu is using the power saving capability it has. This is normal and only happens when the CPU is not in use but the max voltage is what you need to pay attention to. Example: My cpu needs 1.35 to run at stock and max temps of 42°C but at 1.5V at stock speeds it runs 49°C max temps. Then with my overclock I max at 52°-54°C @ 21°C ambient temperature. As you can see Just voltage will increase heat.




The max core voltage reached till 1.4V and the temperature was 78C and also the cpu was running at stock speed.So does it mean high voltage is only the factor for overheating of the cpu in my case and not my crap psu??
If so can you please give the name of the good software for voltage tweaking and step by step process for changing the voltage??Any links will also do.
Thanks.


Yes it is the voltage and NOT the PSU. The max voltage for that CPU is 1.4 and only should be run if overclocking with an aftermarket cooler.

what motherboard do you have?

With out knowing the exact motherboard I can not tell you exactly step by step How to drop the voltage. The voltage control is in the BIOS of the motherboard which is accessed during the POST (Power On Self Test) screen. This is the very first screen that appears after pushing the power button. During this screen repeatedly press Delete or F2, this will access the bios. From here is Why I need to know what mother board you have so I can guide you to the correct setting. There are many settings and if you change the wrong one you can make it unstable or damage your system. Once I know the motherboard I can look up the bios and point you where to go.

"Generally" the setting is under advanced setting or Overclock settings, the name varies from board to board. You should see CPU and a voltage adjustment and most likely is set to auto, many of the settings are most likely also set to auto so make sure you are changing the correct one. Set the voltage to 1.15 then save and reboot the system.

After this you will need to make sure your system is still stable so download Intel burn test and run on maximum memory for 20-30 runs while monitoring temps the Hole time.. This program will cause the CPU to heat up to the max it will hit at that voltage and clock speed while also stress testing. IF it errors up the voltage by 1 setting and so on. the program will stop running and tell you there is an error.

also run CPU-Z to see exact voltage as it can be different than what the Bios is set for.
m
0
l
March 14, 2013 10:12:08 AM

bgunner said:
fatfox said:
bgunner said:
yes it will effect the life of the chip. Heat is a major killer of electronic parts. Like I mentioned lower the core voltage. Unless your overclocking there is no need for that chip to have near 1.28V to run at stock. More volts, more heat and the faster the chip will die. This is the reason for bigger coolers to dissipate the heat. Set your Core Voltage to 1.14V-1.15V and it will cut that heat right down to normal temps and still run fine.

The reason for the .928 volts it the cpu is using the power saving capability it has. This is normal and only happens when the CPU is not in use but the max voltage is what you need to pay attention to. Example: My cpu needs 1.35 to run at stock and max temps of 42°C but at 1.5V at stock speeds it runs 49°C max temps. Then with my overclock I max at 52°-54°C @ 21°C ambient temperature. As you can see Just voltage will increase heat.




The max core voltage reached till 1.4V and the temperature was 78C and also the cpu was running at stock speed.So does it mean high voltage is only the factor for overheating of the cpu in my case and not my crap psu??
If so can you please give the name of the good software for voltage tweaking and step by step process for changing the voltage??Any links will also do.
Thanks.


Yes it is the voltage and NOT the PSU. The max voltage for that CPU is 1.4 and only should be run if overclocking with an aftermarket cooler.

what motherboard do you have?

With out knowing the exact motherboard I can not tell you exactly step by step How to drop the voltage. The voltage control is in the BIOS of the motherboard which is accessed during the POST (Power On Self Test) screen. This is the very first screen that appears after pushing the power button. During this screen repeatedly press Delete or F2, this will access the bios. From here is Why I need to know what mother board you have so I can guide you to the correct setting. There are many settings and if you change the wrong one you can make it unstable or damage your system. Once I know the motherboard I can look up the bios and point you where to go.

"Generally" the setting is under advanced setting or Overclock settings, the name varies from board to board. You should see CPU and a voltage adjustment and most likely is set to auto, many of the settings are most likely also set to auto so make sure you are changing the correct one. Set the voltage to 1.15 then save and reboot the system.

After this you will need to make sure your system is still stable so download Intel burn test and run on maximum memory for 20-30 runs while monitoring temps the Hole time.. This program will cause the CPU to heat up to the max it will hit at that voltage and clock speed while also stress testing. IF it errors up the voltage by 1 setting and so on. the program will stop running and tell you there is an error.

also run CPU-Z to see exact voltage as it can be different than what the Bios is set for.





Its Gigabyte H55M S2H motherboard.
In BIOS the first option is MB INTELLIGENT TWEAKER(M.I.T.)
In M.I.T. it has following options:

MIT Current Status
Advanced frequency settings
Advanced Memory settings
Advanced voltage settings
and Miscellaneous settings.In Misc settings,isochronous support abd virtualization technology are enabled.

If I'm not wrong then I've to select Advanced voltage settings.
In that it has:

Load calibration
CPU Vcore 1.27500V
QPI/Vtt voltage 1.100V
PCH Core 1.050V
CPU PLL 1.800V
DRAM Voltage 1.500V

CH-A Data VRef .750V
CH-B Data VRef .750V
CH-A Address Vref .750V
CH-B Address Vref .750V

All are the set to auto.

In CPU Vcore I can see many voltages that I can set and also 'normal'.So I set it to 1.15V and save it and exit.

But then I got Following error in the bootup screen and the in the BIOS:

"THE SYSTEM HAS EXPERIENCED BOOT FAILURES BECAUSE OF OVERCLOCKING OR CHANGES OF VOLTAGES.
LAST SETTINGS IN THE PAGE MAY NOT COINCIDE WITH THE H/W STATES"

What is it and why am I getting it.
And also even after setting the voltage to 1.15V,the Vcore was showing 1.2698V and the temp was still around 55C.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a c 83 à CPUs
March 14, 2013 10:18:20 AM

Up the Vcore till it will boot with out the error then stability test to make sure it will wont error during running. Like I said go one step at a time to get the voltage. Every part is different as to what it will run stably so you will need to find that voltage. One cpu could be stable at 1.15 but the same exact one may need more voltage to become stable at the same speed.

where are you getting the reading of 1.2698V? The voltage reading you need is when the system is stressed and is done while in the OS.
m
0
l
March 14, 2013 10:31:12 AM

bgunner said:
Up the Vcore till it will boot with out the error then stability test to make sure it will wont error during running. Like I said go one step at a time to get the voltage. Every part is different as to what it will run stably so you will need to find that voltage. One cpu could be stable at 1.15 but the same exact one may need more voltage to become stable at the same speed.

where are you getting the reading of 1.2698V? The voltage reading you need is when the system is stressed and is done while in the OS.




I saw it in the BIOS.

I tried under voltaging it to 1.2685V( the first step itself) and got the same error.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a c 83 à CPUs
March 14, 2013 10:37:32 AM

I'm out of ideas on why you are getting that error. Someone else that has experience with this board should chime in and help.

edit i will look through the owners manual to see if i can figure it out.
m
0
l
March 14, 2013 10:39:41 AM

bgunner said:
I'm out of ideas on why you are getting that error. Someone else that has experience with this board should chime in and help.



What about using a voltage tweaking software??

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a c 83 à CPUs
March 14, 2013 10:50:12 AM

Have you tried to enable Load-Line Calibraton? This should limit the voltage to be closer to what it is set for. Instead of allowing it to go to 1.4 it should keep it closer to the 1.27 that it is set for. At least that is my understanding of it.
m
0
l
March 14, 2013 10:56:37 AM

bgunner said:
Have you tried to enable Load-Line Calibraton? This should limit the voltage to be closer to what it is set for. Instead of allowing it to go to 1.4 it should keep it closer to the 1.27 that it is set for. At least that is my understanding of it.


It is set to auto.I'll try to enable it and check the voltages.
m
0
l
March 14, 2013 11:06:58 AM

bgunner said:
Have you tried to enable Load-Line Calibraton? This should limit the voltage to be closer to what it is set for. Instead of allowing it to go to 1.4 it should keep it closer to the 1.27 that it is set for. At least that is my understanding of it.


fatfox said:
bgunner said:
Have you tried to enable Load-Line Calibraton? This should limit the voltage to be closer to what it is set for. Instead of allowing it to go to 1.4 it should keep it closer to the 1.27 that it is set for. At least that is my understanding of it.


It is set to auto.I'll try to enable it and check the voltages.



The max voltage was 1.33V and under load the temp still goes till 80C
m
0
l
!