Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Cutom Build - Could Use Some General Advice!

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 13, 2013 6:49:20 PM

Hello forums,

I am currently putting together my first custom gaming rig and would like some advice on a few things im having trouble understanding.

First off, this is the build I would like to put together :

--- Mobo --- Maximus v Gene
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

--- CPU --- i5- 3570k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

--- GPU --- Sapphire Radeon HD7850 2GB GDDR5 OC Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

--- RAM --- G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

--- HDD + DVD-Drive --- Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

--- Case --- COOLER MASTER HAF 912
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

--- OS --- Windows 7 64-bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

--- Fans ---
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

--- Current Computers PSU --- Corsair CX500
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My biggest worry right now is that my current Power Supply is not good enough for this build. Also, is there anything 'wrong' with this build? My budget is about
$900. Could I put together something better within my price range? I will be using this PC for gaming and will also be recording gameplay vids with fraps... is this a decent rig for doing so? Lastly, are the fans I have picked out needed or are the stock fans included in the case good enough?

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated!

March 13, 2013 6:55:13 PM

you are ready to go !! very good computer can play BF3 without lag...
m
0
l
March 13, 2013 7:00:29 PM

LiberLogic969 said:

My biggest worry right now is that my current Power Supply is not good enough for this build. Also, is there anything 'wrong' with this build? My budget is about
$900. Could I put together something better within my price range? I will be using this PC for gaming and will also be recording gameplay vids with fraps... is this a decent rig for doing so? Lastly, are the fans I have picked out needed or are the stock fans included in the case good enough?

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated!



Hmm. I do think that the Maximus Gene is a bit too much, especially in $900 rig, you could go with a P8Z77-V board and still be content. The money you save for discarding the Maximus Gene could be allocated to a better card (I'm thinking of those scaled down Tahiti GPUs).

About your PSU, if i remember correctly, your card of choice draws a max of 200w, so I guess you're still good.
And if your budget permits, why not get an SSD? You'd notice significant improvements on boot up and loading times.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 13, 2013 7:03:51 PM

^ like what he said.
m
0
l
March 13, 2013 7:52:14 PM

Thanks for all the replies, that was quick!

My reasoning with that Maximus V board was I figured it would be a good 'base' for future upgrades... And I like the onboard sound card and 'Game First' feature (since my internet is kinda iffy).

Unfortunatly I dont think I will have the money to get an SSD right now... unless I dropped the GPU and just used my EVGA GTX460 with this build. Would it be better to start off with the SSD and upgrade the GPU later?
m
0
l
March 13, 2013 7:56:14 PM

LiberLogic969 said:
Thanks for all the replies, that was quick!

My reasoning with that Maximus V board was I figured it would be a good 'base' for future upgrades... And I like the onboard sound card and 'Game First' feature (since my internet is kinda iffy).

Unfortunatly I dont think I will have the money to get an SSD right now... unless I dropped the GPU and just used my EVGA GTX460 with this build. Would it be better to start off with the SSD and upgrade the GPU later?


well, you can wait for the SSD, get the performance for the games first, then speed.
m
0
l
March 14, 2013 3:51:25 AM

LiberLogic969 said:
Thanks for all the replies, that was quick!

My reasoning with that Maximus V board was I figured it would be a good 'base' for future upgrades... And I like the onboard sound card and 'Game First' feature (since my internet is kinda iffy).

Unfortunatly I dont think I will have the money to get an SSD right now... unless I dropped the GPU and just used my EVGA GTX460 with this build. Would it be better to start off with the SSD and upgrade the GPU later?


Understandable, but do keep in mind that Intel's Haswell chips are on the way. These new chips will have a new number of pins, 1150, that will be incompatible with the Maximus Gene which is only capable with LGA 1155.

Get the Gfx card first, the SSD doesn't add fps or enable more eye-candy, just hasten boost times.
m
0
l
March 14, 2013 1:23:06 PM

faster23rd said:
LiberLogic969 said:
Thanks for all the replies, that was quick!

My reasoning with that Maximus V board was I figured it would be a good 'base' for future upgrades... And I like the onboard sound card and 'Game First' feature (since my internet is kinda iffy).

Unfortunatly I dont think I will have the money to get an SSD right now... unless I dropped the GPU and just used my EVGA GTX460 with this build. Would it be better to start off with the SSD and upgrade the GPU later?


Understandable, but do keep in mind that Intel's Haswell chips are on the way. These new chips will have a new number of pins, 1150, that will be incompatible with the Maximus Gene which is only capable with LGA 1155.

Get the Gfx card first, the SSD doesn't add fps or enable more eye-candy, just hasten boost times.


Thanks again for the help. I will consider getting the ASUS P8Z77 series instead of the Maximus V Gene. I'll get the GPU first and an SSD later.

One more thing... Since im getting the OEM version of Windows 7, will it still be possible to transfer the OS onto an SSD later on without having to reinstall it fresh?
m
0
l
March 14, 2013 6:02:17 PM

LiberLogic969 said:

Thanks again for the help. I will consider getting the ASUS P8Z77 series instead of the Maximus V Gene. I'll get the GPU first and an SSD later.

One more thing... Since im getting the OEM version of Windows 7, will it still be possible to transfer the OS onto an SSD later on without having to reinstall it fresh?


Alright, ummmm, I know that Intel SSDs have this downloadable program that lets clone your OS into the SSD without breaking a sweat, otherwise, I'm not sure how to do it. But I do know that it's possible to migrate your OS into a different drive, it might do you well to ask the pros at the Win7 section of the forums or do Googling.
m
0
l
!