Which Desktop is better for gaming?

Hi everyone, My COMPUTER just got knocked over by my dog. I need another one very quickly. I have 2 older game pc's to choose from. Help me out here which one is a better deal? Ps: I have a GEFORCE gtx 560 ti video card that must be compatiable with one of these rigs.


1.Chasis
Cooler Master Stacker 810 Full-Tower ATX Case with 850-Watt Power Supply

2.Motherboard
MSI P7N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

3.Processor
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor BX80562Q6600

4.Ram
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Model
5.Optical Drive
LG Black 20X DVD+R DVD Burner with LightScribe Performance

6.Network Controller
EnGenius EPI-3601S 802.11g Ultra Long Range Wireless PCI Adapter

7.Operating System
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

The Second Rig: Upgraded power supply 600 W

1.http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394490,00.asp
8 answers Last reply
More about desktop gaming
  1. The Gateway would be better IMO.

    I just reread the specs on the Gateway and it's definitely better.

    The other one isn't bad, but the Gateway is better.
  2. cliffro said:
    The Gateway would be better IMO.

    I just reread the specs on the Gateway and it's definitely better.

    The other one isn't bad, but the Gateway is better.


    Whats makes you lean towards the Gateway?
  3. the Core i5 Processor(vs a Q6600), 8 gigs of ram.

    These are kinda generic numbers, but it should give you a good idea http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/613/Intel_Core_2_Quad_Q6600_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-2320.html

    The only cons against the Gateway are the case/cooling and the i5 2320 is not an overclocker by design. But with Turbo, it should be fine for a while for gaming.
  4. cliffro said:
    the Core i5 Processor(vs a Q6600), 8 gigs of ram.

    These are kinda generic numbers, but it should give you a good idea http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/613/Intel_Core_2_Quad_Q6600_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-2320.html

    The only cons against the Gateway are the case/cooling and the i5 2320 is not an overclocker by design. But with Turbo, it should be fine for a while for gaming.


    Thank,
    Wow those are significant differences. I should be able to eventually change out the chasis, correct?
  5. Newguy2010 said:
    cliffro said:
    the Core i5 Processor(vs a Q6600), 8 gigs of ram.

    These are kinda generic numbers, but it should give you a good idea http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/613/Intel_Core_2_Quad_Q6600_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-2320.html

    The only cons against the Gateway are the case/cooling and the i5 2320 is not an overclocker by design. But with Turbo, it should be fine for a while for gaming.


    Thank,
    Wow those are significant differences. I should be able to eventually change out the chasis, correct?


    Yes if you want to take the motherboard from the Gateway case and put it in a new case you do have that
    option available.
  6. Where are the Graphics cards for those comps?
    I only see a Intel HD 2000 on the gateway and none at the 1st rig. So ingeneral, none are good for gaming.

    Edit: Oh at start you metion the 560 Ti thats axctually my system Q6600, 4gb ram and 560 Ti.

    I agree, the I5 will beat the Q6600 out of the water.

    I have a laptop i5 with a 570M and the laptop runs starcraft 2 smooth, while the desktop drops under 20 fps after a while in team games.
  7. redstar4u said:
    Newguy2010 said:
    cliffro said:
    the Core i5 Processor(vs a Q6600), 8 gigs of ram.

    These are kinda generic numbers, but it should give you a good idea http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/613/Intel_Core_2_Quad_Q6600_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-2320.html

    The only cons against the Gateway are the case/cooling and the i5 2320 is not an overclocker by design. But with Turbo, it should be fine for a while for gaming.


    Thank,
    Wow those are significant differences. I should be able to eventually change out the chasis, correct?


    Yes if you want to take the motherboard from the Gateway case and put it in a new case you do have that
    option available.



    Cool, I wasn't sure because its a manufacture build... I was kind leaning towards the gateway too, I was concermed because it wasnt a custom build. I was worried about being able to upgrade hardware over time... Im not an advanced computrer whiz by any means. I figured I'd get some advice from you guys..Thanks alot!
  8. You're welcome. to aid in cooling in the gateway case until you upgrade/replace it, you might be able to mount a slim fan to the side, though you may have to use zip ties or nuts and bolts(versus standard fan screws)
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Games