Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

AMD 8A-5500 APUwith Radeon HD7560D card

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Radeon
  • CPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 14, 2013 10:08:35 AM

running core temp of 80+ when playing Sims 3 game with 2 expansion packs what fan should I get to increase cooling and some advice on a better graphics card this is a HP p-7 1414 desktop

More about : amd 5500 apuwith radeon hd7560d card

March 14, 2013 10:45:04 AM

Most discrete graphics cards offer more performance than the Intergrated graphics offered by your APU...
A HD 7750 or GTX 650 would be an large improvement. For Sims 3, you probably wouldn't need much more, though you could get a GTX 650 Ti or HD 7770 for a bit more head room.
Just using a discrete gpu will probably cut your cpu temps as it offloads the work to off the chip.
m
0
l
a c 123 À AMD
a c 487 à CPUs
March 14, 2013 11:01:07 AM

The best card you can install is the Radeon HD 7750 due to the 300w PSU. This is deactivate the integrated graphics card. That should help lower the A8's temperature.

The cheapest Radeon HD 7750 (at least from Newegg) is $70 after a $20 rebate, however it uses the slower DDR3 RAM. But you also get Far Cry 3 for free which you can give away if it's not your type of game.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For $88 after a rebate you can buy a Radeon HD 7750 with DDR5.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The performance difference between the DDR3 and DDR5 version of the Radeon HD 7750 is probably between 7% - 10%. The Sims 3 is not that demanding so the slower version would still be fine.


If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive, but good heatsink, then consider the CoolerMaster 212 plus

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 124 à CPUs
March 14, 2013 2:40:00 PM


I wouldn't do anything until the Richland APU comes out in a week or so. I suspect your HP will support it.

If you have 6GB of RAMs, it would help to know the configuration and speed. If you have 3 sticks, you may be running in single-channel, and by removing one stick, may actually run faster.

The APU 7560D graphics is the little brother of the HD7660D. The 7560D has 256 cores and a lower 760MHz clock speed (as opposed to 384 cores and a 800MHz clock speed for the 7660D).

The OEM HSF on the 65w Trinity APUs are really dinky. Something like the CM Vortex Plus RR-VTPS-28PK-R1 92mm should work just dandy. I'd measure that side vent across from the HSF on the CPU and consider screwing-on an 80mm fan to pull cool air, too.

I'd also try to find a utility like AMD OverDrive and see if you can unlock the HD7560D clock. Even though the Trinity CPU Piledriver cores and clock are locked, the Radeon clock is not. Clock boosts of 200MHz+ are not uncommon.

If you can't clock the Radeon clock, your motherboard is defective and you should purchase an MSI A75MA E35 FM2 as a maintenance replacement, and do a fresh OS install.



m
0
l
March 14, 2013 4:03:07 PM

thanks for all the info i'm not real up on all the technical issues of computing especially related to gaming :o verheating cards ect.but all this info does give me some ideas as to were to start. this may sound dumb, but i'm learning, how is a heat sink different from a fan? don't know how to clock a card could someone send me some info? thought I would at least start with replacing my 300 w with a 500 w but will defiantly check into the the heatsink and the 7750 and 7660 I have only 4 rams is this a big problem?
m
0
l
March 14, 2013 4:04:57 PM

no i'm sorry I do have 6 rams don't know what I was thinking lol
m
0
l
March 14, 2013 4:15:48 PM

were should I start 1 st? new card or cooling ? really concerned with the heat issue and sounds like both will help and will do both I reread some of the info and if I am right I should get a better cooling system before the card
m
0
l
March 14, 2013 4:21:41 PM

Wisecracker said:

I wouldn't do anything until the Richland APU comes out in a week or so. I suspect your HP will support it.

If you have 6GB of RAMs, it would help to know the configuration and speed. If you have 3 sticks, you may be running in single-channel, and by removing one stick, may actually run faster.

The APU 7560D graphics is the little brother of the HD7660D. The 7560D has 256 cores and a lower 760MHz clock speed (as opposed to 384 cores and a 800MHz clock speed for the 7660D).

The OEM HSF on the 65w Trinity APUs are really dinky. Something like the CM Vortex Plus RR-VTPS-28PK-R1 92mm should work just dandy. I'd measure that side vent across from the HSF on the CPU and consider screwing-on an 80mm fan to pull cool air, too.

I'd also try to find a utility like AMD OverDrive and see if you can unlock the HD7560D clock. Even though the Trinity CPU Piledriver cores and clock are locked, the Radeon clock is not. Clock boosts of 200MHz+ are not uncommon.

If you can't clock the Radeon clock, your motherboard is defective and you should purchase an MSI A75MA E35 FM2 as a maintenance replacement, and do a fresh OS install.





m
0
l
March 14, 2013 4:22:44 PM

I hope my motherboard isn't bad this computer is new just bought in dec 2012
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 124 à CPUs
March 14, 2013 4:44:06 PM


6GB of RAMs likely means you have 3x2GB sticks in 4 DIMM slots on the motherboard. An odd number of sticks will not operate in dual-channel.

The 4 DIMM slots are divided in 2 banks of 2. You may try installing 1 stick of RAM in each bank, and see if this improves performance. The graphics on the Trinity APU is highly dependent on memory performance, and dual-channel may provide 5%+ in performance gains in some instances.

Download the AOD utility from above. It will at a minimum provide a platform for you to learn about your computer. If we are lucky, it may allow you to increase the graphics clock rate.



m
0
l
March 14, 2013 4:57:29 PM

Wisecracker said:

6GB of RAMs likely means you have 3x2GB sticks in 4 DIMM slots on the motherboard. An odd number of sticks will not operate in dual-channel.

The 4 DIMM slots are divided in 2 banks of 2. You may try installing 1 stick of RAM in each bank, and see if this improves performance. The graphics on the Trinity APU is highly dependent on memory performance, and dual-channel may provide 5%+ in performance gains in some instances.

Download the AOD utility from above. It will at a minimum provide a platform for you to learn about your computer. If we are lucky, it may allow you to increase the graphics clock rate.





m
0
l
March 14, 2013 5:04:02 PM

Wisecracker said:

6GB of RAMs likely means you have 3x2GB sticks in 4 DIMM slots on the motherboard. An odd number of sticks will not operate in dual-channel.

The 4 DIMM slots are divided in 2 banks of 2. You may try installing 1 stick of RAM in each bank, and see if this improves performance. The graphics on the Trinity APU is highly dependent on memory performance, and dual-channel may provide 5%+ in performance gains in some instances.

Download the AOD utility from above. It will at a minimum provide a platform for you to learn about your computer. If we are lucky, it may allow you to increase the graphics clock rate.





m
0
l
March 14, 2013 5:07:20 PM

I was looking at the system requirements for the AOD utility and don't see my chipset if they are talking in terms of it being a radeon found my chipset name AMD A75FCH and not on their list as supported
m
0
l
a c 123 À AMD
a c 487 à CPUs
March 15, 2013 7:04:47 AM

I wouldn't bother trying to upgrade to the Richland APU as suggested by Wisecracker. You will get better gaming performance simply by installing a graphics card. Note sure how "powerful" the integrated graphics core in Richland will be but I will bet is slower than the Radeon HD 6670. A new Richland APU will also cost more than the Radeon HD 7750 I suggested in my prior post which will give you a significant increase in game performance.

As a comparison, the Radeon HD 7560D in your A8-5500 APU is less powerful than a Radeon HD 5570. So buying a Radeon HD 7750 will be a very significant increase performance; even the cheaper / slower version running with DDR3 VRAM.

Richland APU should offer better CPU and integrated graphics performance than your Trinity APU. But the Sims 3 is not particularly CPU demanding, and as mentioned before, the increase in integrated graphics performance may be significant for an integrated solution, but it does not compare to an actual discrete graphics card.

For example, the Intel HD 4000 in Ivy Bridge CPUs is on average 35% more powerful than the previous Intel HD 3000 graphics core. Sounds impressive, right? However, that is basically going from the performance of a Radeon HD 5450 to a approximately 85% - 90% performance of a Radeon HD 5550. The Radeon HD 5550 is not even considered a "gaming card".

The integrated performance of Trinity's integrated graphics is a little more than a 17% increase over Llano's (Trinity's predecessor) integrated graphics. That is based on a post I made probably around 2 or 3 weeks ago using around 23 game benchmark results. Wisecracker didn't believe that, but all he really needed to was click the link I provided which had all the benchmark results and do some number crunching in Excel. That is not to say that Richland's integrated graphics performance will only increase by 17%, but it will inferior to a Radeon HD 6670 (aka Radeon HD 7670; just a different name).

For reference, Trinity's most powerful integrated graphics is the Radeon HD 7660D and it is approximately 10% - 15% more powerful than the Radeon HD 5570; which is also not considered a "gaming card".
m
0
l
a c 123 À AMD
a c 487 à CPUs
March 15, 2013 7:12:31 AM

As for what you should upgrade 1st, I would go with the Radeon HD 7750. It will be cheaper than upgrading to a Richland APU and you will get a much larger increase in performance. But I think the Sims 3 limits frame rates to 30 so you will not actually be able to see how powerful the Radeon HD 7750 really with a game like the Sims 3. However, the DDR3 version of Radeon HD 7750 which I linked to comes with a coupon code for Far Cry 3. If you really want to see the difference in performance between your current integrated graphics and the HD 7750, then redeem the coupon, download and install the game and try playing it. The difference will be day and night.

Because installing the Radeon HD 7750 will deactivate the graphics core in your A8-5500 APU, the temperature should also drop. If it drops low enough to something that you feel comfortable with, then you do not need to install a 3rd party heatsink. Otherwise, if the temperature is still too high, then go ahead and buy the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus which I suggested in my 1st post.
m
0
l
March 15, 2013 8:29:28 AM

jaguarskx said:
I wouldn't bother trying to upgrade to the Richland APU as suggested by Wisecracker. You will get better gaming performance simply by installing a graphics card. Note sure how "powerful" the integrated graphics core in Richland will be but I will bet is slower than the Radeon HD 6670. A new Richland APU will also cost more than the Radeon HD 7750 I suggested in my prior post which will give you a significant increase in game performance.

As a comparison, the Radeon HD 7560D in your A8-5500 APU is less powerful than a Radeon HD 5570. So buying a Radeon HD 7750 will be a very significant increase performance; even the cheaper / slower version running with DDR3 VRAM.

Richland APU should offer better CPU and integrated graphics performance than your Trinity APU. But the Sims 3 is not particularly CPU demanding, and as mentioned before, the increase in integrated graphics performance may be significant for an integrated solution, but it does not compare to an actual discrete graphics card.

For example, the Intel HD 4000 in Ivy Bridge CPUs is on average 35% more powerful than the previous Intel HD 3000 graphics core. Sounds impressive, right? However, that is basically going from the performance of a Radeon HD 5450 to a approximately 85% - 90% performance of a Radeon HD 5550. The Radeon HD 5550 is not even considered a "gaming card".

The integrated performance of Trinity's integrated graphics is a little more than a 17% increase over Llano's (Trinity's predecessor) integrated graphics. That is based on a post I made probably around 2 or 3 weeks ago using around 23 game benchmark results. Wisecracker didn't believe that, but all he really needed to was click the link I provided which had all the benchmark results and do some number crunching in Excel. That is not to say that Richland's integrated graphics performance will only increase by 17%, but it will inferior to a Radeon HD 6670 (aka Radeon HD 7670; just a different name).

For reference, Trinity's most powerful integrated graphics is the Radeon HD 7660D and it is approximately 10% - 15% more powerful than the Radeon HD 5570; which is also not considered a "gaming card".


m
0
l
March 15, 2013 8:39:04 AM

thanks for the info will go to the link u provided and see what happens I am a little surprised with the issues I am having with the sims3 I didn't think it was as demanding as it is bought this computer because my other one couldn't handle it at all but it was just a 2 Gb and needed to upgrade anyway thanks to all u for the info ill get back when I see what happens I was thinking at least getting a case fan also would be good
m
0
l
a c 123 À AMD
a c 487 à CPUs
March 15, 2013 12:08:49 PM

Something else that might be causing your Trinity APU to run bit is that it has been confirmed that even though the games only displays 30 frames per second on the screen max, the game maximizes the number of frames the graphics core can render regardless what is being displayed.

Simply stated, even if the Sims 3 uses the graphics card to it's maximum performance (like say rendering at 70 frames per second), it only display at most 30 frames per second on the screen. An analogy would be putting your car in neutral while parked, and flooring the gas pedal. You are going nowhere, but the car's engine is running at full tilt wasting gas. For the graphics card it will be wasting electricity and producing more heat than necessary.

Click the following link for a solution that will seems to fix that issue.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,1...
m
0
l
March 18, 2013 11:59:08 AM

jaguarskx said:
Something else that might be causing your Trinity APU to run bit is that it has been confirmed that even though the games only displays 30 frames per second on the screen max, the game maximizes the number of frames the graphics core can render regardless what is being displayed.

Simply stated, even if the Sims 3 uses the graphics card to it's maximum performance (like say rendering at 70 frames per second), it only display at most 30 frames per second on the screen. An analogy would be putting your car in neutral while parked, and flooring the gas pedal. You are going nowhere, but the car's engine is running at full tilt wasting gas. For the graphics card it will be wasting electricity and producing more heat than necessary.

Click the following link for a solution that will seems to fix that issue.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,1...


m
0
l
March 18, 2013 12:03:10 PM

i checked into this and working on it but says I have to install a mod called "nointro" for it to work can't get the folder unzipped???? it is a package file at a standstill now I installed 7zip and got no were but thanks for the info going to continue to work on the "moreawesome" download that sounds like it might help
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2013 12:59:14 PM

bethss1949 said:
running core temp of 80+ when playing Sims 3 game with 2 expansion packs what fan should I get to increase cooling and some advice on a better graphics card this is a HP p-7 1414 desktop


I'd recommend applying a fresh coating of Thermal Paste. Kinda surprised no body suggested it o.O
m
0
l
March 18, 2013 1:58:41 PM

thanks
anthony
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 124 à CPUs
March 19, 2013 5:06:52 AM

bethss1949 said:
I was looking at the system requirements for the AOD utility and don't see my chipset if they are talking in terms of it being a radeon found my chipset name AMD A75FCH and not on their list as supported


Your chipset is a **AMD Hudson-D3**

I have a 65w Trinity APU. I don't believe your temps are an issue. Remove your side panel, and put a load on your APU. Place your finger on the side of the HSF assembly to check for heat -- it likely will not be warm.

Verify that you are running your memory in dual channel.



m
0
l
March 19, 2013 2:20:46 PM

Wisecracker said:
bethss1949 said:
I was looking at the system requirements for the AOD utility and don't see my chipset if they are talking in terms of it being a radeon found my chipset name AMD A75FCH and not on their list as supported


Your chipset is a **AMD Hudson-D3**

I have a 65w Trinity APU. I don't believe your temps are an issue. Remove your side panel, and put a load on your APU. Place your finger on the side of the HSF assembly to check for heat -- it likely will not be warm.

Verify that you are running your memory in dual channel.





m
0
l
March 19, 2013 2:24:52 PM

thanks i'll try that now I have another issue computer now telling me to back-up all files hdd id failing when it rains it pours have talked to HP they want to send me a new hdd if I give them 150-200 dollars for colladerall till I return the old one can u believe that!! this computer is only 3 mo old any suggestion people???? HELP>>>>> how do I know if i'm running in dual channels???
m
0
l
March 19, 2013 8:47:04 PM

I downloaded CPU-Z and I am running dual channels
m
0
l
March 21, 2013 1:59:09 PM

I played the sims 3 and put a load on my apu and no heat on the hsf and is running dual channels also but hdd says its failing ????
m
0
l
March 21, 2013 2:00:36 PM

Wisecracker said:
bethss1949 said:
I was looking at the system requirements for the AOD utility and don't see my chipset if they are talking in terms of it being a radeon found my chipset name AMD A75FCH and not on their list as supported


Your chipset is a **AMD Hudson-D3**

I have a 65w Trinity APU. I don't believe your temps are an issue. Remove your side panel, and put a load on your APU. Place your finger on the side of the HSF assembly to check for heat -- it likely will not be warm.

Verify that you are running your memory in dual channel.





m
0
l
March 21, 2013 2:02:02 PM

ur correct so what now? running dual channels too but now says hdd failing ????
m
0
l
March 21, 2013 3:02:39 PM

Wisecracker said:
bethss1949 said:
I was looking at the system requirements for the AOD utility and don't see my chipset if they are talking in terms of it being a radeon found my chipset name AMD A75FCH and not on their list as supported


Your chipset is a **AMD Hudson-D3**

I have a 65w Trinity APU. I don't believe your temps are an issue. Remove your side panel, and put a load on your APU. Place your finger on the side of the HSF assembly to check for heat -- it likely will not be warm.

Verify that you are running your memory in dual channel.





I am running dual channel and ur correct about the heat installed the OAD utility and this is some of the info target speed 760mhz current 340 MHz CPU target sp 3200 current 1400 PCe 100mhz running "0" memory is at it's correct speed the utility is not giving me the core temps or fan speed ??
m
0
l

Best solution

a b À AMD
a c 124 à CPUs
March 25, 2013 2:19:49 PM


I hope your hard drive is operable. I just recovered from a complete fail.

It's always good to look at things from every angle. What may help you now is your level of memory dedicated for graphics. I would suggest 1GB but you might be able to go higher. It is possible for the graphics memory to be set as low as 32MB!

You should be able to change your graphics memory either: 1) In your BIOS; or maybe 2) AMD Vision Control Center or 3) Whatever utility came with your system. This is from the AMD Vision ...


You have the AMD Radeon HD 7660D with a standard clock speed of 760MHz - just like mine. The graphics core clock can drop to 300MHz when idling, or lower when sleeping (I believe AMD calls that the 'Zero Tune')

The temps I got in AMD OverDrive just made more sense for me.

It's just a wacky sensor reading - my A10 5700 65w at full load runs 4-5F above ambient. It's not even a decent hand-warmer :heink: 

Your Radeon HD 7660D APU graphics core clock is unlocked. I'm running mine at 900MHz. The higher clock seems to work best with higher speed RAMs. The question is whether you can get the GPU Clock slider to move

There are other Trinity APU graphic core clocking utilities but they are likely not suitable for your level of tweaking.

Best thing for you is to check that level of dedicated memory!

Share
March 25, 2013 10:38:26 PM

sorry to hear that but I might be in the same place as u I got a message to backup my hard drive is failing so I did a backup what did a hard drive cost u I have 1thd my card is a 7560 not a 7660 and is set at 304 MHz max at 760mhz the CPU is 3200 and with turbo 3500 voltage 0.9 target 1.23 card memory 512 help and thanks so much for all the info
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 124 à CPUs
March 26, 2013 2:20:43 PM


It's a minor annoyance around here. We stay ready. This place really runs on Duracell batteries. The Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB is $85 with code but you will have to purchase a SATA cable. It's got a 5-yr warranty and has 930GB of formatted space for all your videos and music. And, critical back-ups.

I would start a support ticket with the OEM being that your computer is relatively new. If you have not already done so, you should also prepare your OS recovery disks as specified by the OEM. If not, you will have to purchase a recovery disk from them (around $15).

Upping your video RAM from 512MB to 1024MB (1GB) may help your Sims gaming, too.

m
0
l
March 26, 2013 3:19:34 PM

Wisecracker said:

It's a minor annoyance around here. We stay ready. This place really runs on Duracell batteries. The Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB is $85 with code but you will have to purchase a SATA cable. It's got a 5-yr warranty and has 930GB of formatted space for all your videos and music. And, critical back-ups.

I would start a support ticket with the OEM being that your computer is relatively new. If you have not already done so, you should also prepare your OS recovery disks as specified by the OEM. If not, you will have to purchase a recovery disk from them (around $15).

Upping your video RAM from 512MB to 1024MB (1GB) may help your Sims gaming, too.



m
0
l
March 26, 2013 3:19:37 PM

Wisecracker said:

It's a minor annoyance around here. We stay ready. This place really runs on Duracell batteries. The Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB is $85 with code but you will have to purchase a SATA cable. It's got a 5-yr warranty and has 930GB of formatted space for all your videos and music. And, critical back-ups.

I would start a support ticket with the OEM being that your computer is relatively new. If you have not already done so, you should also prepare your OS recovery disks as specified by the OEM. If not, you will have to purchase a recovery disk from them (around $15).

Upping your video RAM from 512MB to 1024MB (1GB) may help your Sims gaming, too.



m
0
l
March 26, 2013 3:25:05 PM

yes I was looking at the western digital and seagate at 102. but the 85.00 sounds better and am going to order a hd 7750 card from newegg for 89.00 how do I start a OEM ticket? this is my 1 st new computer
m
0
l
March 31, 2013 7:10:56 AM

thank u this answered now
m
0
l
!