Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Basic Gaming Desktop (simcity and work)

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 14, 2013 4:28:44 PM

I'm tired of ps3 and my laptop has had it. I would like to build my own PC that is capable of playing games (I like simulation so it will mostly be simcity, but also sometimes some of the newer games but I understand it will not be at the the maximum requirements)
This will also be for college work (business student)
I would like it to be relatively cheap but Im Not to fussed if it is going to last.
Also I want the final product to be displayed on 2 screens
Any help and input will be greatly appreciated.
Sorry if it is in the wrong section, if you can't tell I'm new to this.
Thomas

-----------
Sorry again, new here
I already Have the monitors.
The budget ideally would be around £400
March 14, 2013 4:32:01 PM

What is the budget, and is an OS/2 monitors going to be included in this budget?

Best solution

March 14, 2013 4:42:01 PM
Share

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (£88.80 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£43.23 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£44.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£40.87 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£111.03 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.75 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£34.99 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.49 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £414.14
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-14 23:41 GMT+0000)
Related resources
March 14, 2013 4:49:53 PM

2wenty said:
What is the budget, and is an OS/2 monitors going to be included in this budget?


SHORYUKEN said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (£88.80 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£43.23 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£44.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£40.87 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£111.03 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.75 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£34.99 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.49 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £414.14
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-14 23:41 GMT+0000)


Thankyou. And this will be able to handle playing simcity smoothly and other games around medium.
Thomas

March 14, 2013 4:58:18 PM

It will handle SimCity at max.
March 14, 2013 5:15:46 PM

SHORYUKEN said:
It will handle SimCity at max.


Thanks. How about other games (like upcoming watchdogs, not too fussed if it can't play on max. just if it will play)
Didn't expect this much help though. Really, Thankyou.
March 14, 2013 5:26:22 PM

WatchDogs doesn't look too graphically demanding. It looks like what GTA 5 is going to be, or in this case, a better looking GTA IV. I would be surprised if it doesn't play it on max.
March 14, 2013 5:52:19 PM

SHORYUKEN said:
WatchDogs doesn't look too graphically demanding. It looks like what GTA 5 is going to be, or in this case, a better looking GTA IV. I would be surprised if it doesn't play it on max.


God this site is amazing. (And so are you)
Got to start selling now. Thankyou for your help. Really appreciate it.
March 14, 2013 6:03:24 PM

No problem. If you need anything else, just tell me :) 
March 14, 2013 6:47:28 PM

Umm just to point out the graphics card linked in the build is actually not a 7950, it's a 7770 (bug with PCPartPicker). 7950s are £220+ Depending on your resolution I highly doubt you'll be able to play newer titles on max settings, I would recommend going with a 7850 instead.

M
March 14, 2013 7:00:13 PM

marshallbradley said:
Umm just to point out the graphics card linked in the build is actually not a 7950, it's a 7770 (bug with PCPartPicker). 7950s are £220+ Depending on your resolution I highly doubt you'll be able to play newer titles on max settings, I would recommend going with a 7850 instead.

M


Wow. Really?

Wow.

I don't even.

What the hell PC Part Picker.

March 15, 2013 5:51:26 AM

marshallbradley said:
Umm just to point out the graphics card linked in the build is actually not a 7950, it's a 7770 (bug with PCPartPicker). 7950s are £220+ Depending on your resolution I highly doubt you'll be able to play newer titles on max settings, I would recommend going with a 7850 instead.

M


Hi.
Could you post a link to it please. Just so I know I have the rite one.
Thanks
Thomas.

March 15, 2013 6:18:11 AM

Here's the fixed version of the build. I've changed a couple things to make it cheaper. Also it's all from Amazon UK now (which is by far the best way to go -- they have the best return policy and you won't have to pay for shipping 3 or 4 times).

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (£86.33 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£32.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£36.23 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£40.14 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card (£134.60 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£29.39 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£37.57 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.49 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £408.74

It has a slightly cheaper motherboard, but it still has all the features you need. The gaming performance is certainly better than the previous build. It will run games like Simcity very easily on close to, if not max settings at 1080p. Games like Sleeping Dogs will run on all high/very high settings (I've owned a 7850 so if you want to know about any other games in particular, just ask :) ).

EDIT: Also the case is slightly better I think. If you're going to have a microATX motherboard, you might as well have a microATX case. It takes up less space and you don't lose any upgradabilty/cooling power with a nice case like the Fractal 1000.

M
March 15, 2013 6:41:41 AM

marshallbradley said:
Here's the fixed version of the build. I've changed a couple things to make it cheaper. Also it's all from Amazon UK now (which is by far the best way to go -- they have the best return policy and you won't have to pay for shipping 3 or 4 times).

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (£86.33 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£32.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£36.23 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£40.14 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card (£134.60 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£29.39 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£37.57 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.49 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £408.74

It has a slightly cheaper motherboard, but it still has all the features you need. The gaming performance is certainly better than the previous build. It will run games like Simcity very easily on close to, if not max settings at 1080p. Games like Sleeping Dogs will run on all high/very high settings (I've owned a 7850 so if you want to know about any other games in particular, just ask :) ).

EDIT: Also the case is slightly better I think. If you're going to have a microATX motherboard, you might as well have a microATX case. It takes up less space and you don't lose any upgradabilty/cooling power with a nice case like the Fractal 1000.

M



Cheers. I would like to be playing watchdogs when it comes out but I'm not too fussed if it will not be on the highest setting. Also the new tomb raider. Thankyou very much.
March 15, 2013 6:54:31 AM

It should be able to run Watchdogs fine on high settings, and you actually get the new Tomb Raider free with the 7850 (along with BioShock Infinite), so it will be able to run it fine! Check that the place you're buying from offers the two free games though (it's called the Never Settle: Reloaded bundle).

Here's a comparison between the graphics card from the previous build and the 7850: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=549

EDIT: It seems Amazon doesn't offer the bundle, so here's where I'd buy the graphics card from to get the 2 free games: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Card...

You can also get a 1 gb version with the free games for £20 less: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Card...

Though I don't like XFX, they are probably better than the stock card.

M
March 15, 2013 6:59:44 AM

marshallbradley said:
It should be able to run Watchdogs fine on high settings, and you actually get the new Tomb Raider free with the 7850 (along with BioShock Infinite), so it will be able to run it fine! Check that the place you're buying from offers the two free games though (it's called the Never Settle: Reloaded bundle).

Here's a comparison between the graphics card from the previous build and the 7850: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=549

M


Wow. Thanks wouldnt have even clocked on to that. Hopefully I will have everything within the next few weeks.
I know I'm saying it alot but I can't thank you enough. I needed no bullshit help and I got it.
Thomas.

March 15, 2013 7:12:29 AM

No worries :) 

Make sure you read up on the specifics of assembling a PC before all the parts arrive (assuming you've never built one before), you don't want to accidentally break something right off the bat! There's some good videos on YouTube by Newegg I believe it is which go through the whole process. It can also help if you have a friend who know's what they're doing :) . Don't worry too much though, as long as you're careful and take your time, 99.9% of the time you should be fine.

Also I edited by above answer to include a link to where you can get the graphics card with the Never Settle: Reloaded bundle. Look around though, you might be able to find a 7850 with the bundle for cheaper from Scan.co.uk or Novatech.co.uk . These are the other (imo) decent suppliers in the UK for PC parts other than Aria and Amazon (Amazon is the best though). For some reason my build above didn't link all the Amazon prices, though I'm sure you can track the stuff down on Amazon if you so wish.

All the best,

M
March 15, 2013 8:30:52 AM

SHORYUKEN said:
WatchDogs doesn't look too graphically demanding. It looks like what GTA 5 is going to be, or in this case, a better looking GTA IV. I would be surprised if it doesn't play it on max.


marshallbradley said:
No worries :) 

Make sure you read up on the specifics of assembling a PC before all the parts arrive (assuming you've never built one before), you don't want to accidentally break something right off the bat! There's some good videos on YouTube by Newegg I believe it is which go through the whole process. It can also help if you have a friend who know's what they're doing :) . Don't worry too much though, as long as you're careful and take your time, 99.9% of the time you should be fine.

Also I edited by above answer to include a link to where you can get the graphics card with the Never Settle: Reloaded bundle. Look around though, you might be able to find a 7850 with the bundle for cheaper from Scan.co.uk or Novatech.co.uk . These are the other (imo) decent suppliers in the UK for PC parts other than Aria and Amazon (Amazon is the best though). For some reason my build above didn't link all the Amazon prices, though I'm sure you can track the stuff down on Amazon if you so wish.

All the best,

M


Ive got a few people I can ask, and thanks for that bundle. I would have ended up buying them games anyway.
Hopefully everything should be sorted in the coming weeks.
Shopping time now haha
Thomas.

!