Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

SSD Compatibility with pavilion dv6 6c65sx

Last response: in Storage
Share
March 14, 2013 8:21:48 PM

I have hp pavilion dv6 6c65sx notebook and i want to replace my HDD with a SSD , but when i contacted hp live chat support they told me that " you can add 160-GB solid-state drive on the notebook however you need to get the connector cable is included in the Cable Kit. The notebook supports up 160 GB SSD "
and i can't understand this because many people said to me that i can use more than that but now hp tell me that i can't so who to believe ???

BTW this is my notebook information

Product number : A7P80EA
a b G Storage
March 14, 2013 8:44:16 PM

as far as i know, any recent computer should support more than that, one of the factor is OS
m
0
l
March 14, 2013 9:05:30 PM

Cons29 said:
as far as i know, any recent computer should support more than that, one of the factor is OS

that is what i thought until hp live chat support told me that , but it doesn't make any sense because my notebook isn't old so i don't know why they said that and i don't know how to make sure of that.

m
0
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 14, 2013 9:24:33 PM

They are probley telling you that size because that is the largest size they sell or sold. You should be able to use any size SSD no cable needed (not sure what cable they are talking about ). It will install just like an HDD. and your currnet HDD is 750GB. This is the same as if you were to install 1TB HDD to replace your 750GB HDD
m
0
l
March 14, 2013 10:11:10 PM

navalweaponsofficer said:
They are probley telling you that size because that is the largest size they sell or sold. You should be able to use any size SSD no cable needed (not sure what cable they are talking about ). It will install just like an HDD. and your currnet HDD is 750GB. This is the same as if you were to install 1TB HDD to replace your 750GB HDD

thanks man , good to hear that , but is there any chance that i might purchase a 512 GB SSD and it doesn't work ? because I'm really confused and afraid to bought one and didn't work for me so is there any way to make sure that 512GB will work and identified without any problem ?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
March 14, 2013 10:38:56 PM

Your laptop has the Intel HM65 chipset this chipset supports any size SSD that you desire to install the chipset does not care about size and the operating system will support any size also. HP would have to write their BIOS to limit the size of the SSD used but that would likely impact the use of a HDD to the same limit as the SSD. I can’t tell you 100% that it will work but I can not see any reason why it wouldn’t. It makes no since that HP would put an artificial limit on SSD size. They put in their documentation for the product what was available at the time for them that is/was 160GB. They then tell their support team that that is the max size which really is not the case just what they had available at the time of manufacture. All you can really do is take a chance and but the 512GB SSD and see if it works return it if it does not. If I was making this upgrade I wouldn’t hesitate buying the 512GB disk I am that confidant that it will work. I wouldn’t have even have thought it wouldn’t work. I will assume that the BIOS will treat the SSD just as it would an HDD.
Share
March 15, 2013 8:11:59 AM

navalweaponsofficer said:
Your laptop has the Intel HM65 chipset this chipset supports any size SSD that you desire to install the chipset does not care about size and the operating system will support any size also. HP would have to write their BIOS to limit the size of the SSD used but that would likely impact the use of a HDD to the same limit as the SSD. I can’t tell you 100% that it will work but I can not see any reason why it wouldn’t. It makes no since that HP would put an artificial limit on SSD size. They put in their documentation for the product what was available at the time for them that is/was 160GB. They then tell their support team that that is the max size which really is not the case just what they had available at the time of manufacture. All you can really do is take a chance and but the 512GB SSD and see if it works return it if it does not. If I was making this upgrade I wouldn’t hesitate buying the 512GB disk I am that confidant that it will work. I wouldn’t have even have thought it wouldn’t work. I will assume that the BIOS will treat the SSD just as it would an HDD.


thanks navalweaponsoffice , its very good things i didn't know that much about my notebook and its chipsets , but couldn't i be able to know if they write on the bios or not ? or does you know any one that has any notebook from the same series and got SSD with big size and works with him fine?
m
0
l
a b G Storage
March 15, 2013 6:42:54 PM

I know of no one who has put a 512GB SSD into their HP Laptop and cant find anything online of someone doing that (but it is not something you would post about). There is nothing else I can really tell you to convince you that the odds of this not working are slim to none. on the service guide for that computer it states that it cannot accept a HDD smaller than 320GB but it then contradicts its self by stating that it can use a 160 GB SSD. I have no doubt that this 160 SSD was an available configuration for your laptop so that is all the documentation states as working with it. this happens with computer electronics stuff all of the time. they write the upgradability to whatever is the best available at that time but their larger successors will also work. this has happened with documentation for the size of SD card something says it can use. an item will say that It can use a 16gb SD card but hay a 32gb card comes out same standard ill try it. Shure enough it works. I am 99.9% sure that if you install the 512GB SSD it will work just fine.
m
0
l
March 15, 2013 7:48:55 PM

thanks navalweaponsofficer for your help , i will take my chances as you say and will get the 512GB the next month , hope everything works fine


m
0
l
a b G Storage
May 11, 2013 5:07:16 AM

memoooo500 said:
thanks navalweaponsofficer for your help , i will take my chances as you say and will get the 512GB the next month , hope everything works fine




did you get the SSD? If so I assume it worked as expected.
m
0
l
10 minutes ago

yes i got it and its working
m
0
l
!