oc 955 phenom 2 on air

icedriver220

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
i have a phenom2 955 on air coolong 120 mm inlet on front 140mm inlet on side freezer pro rev.2 cpu cooler (inc 92mm cpu mounted fan)and a delta 80mm exhaust fan my spec :
amd phenom 2 3.2ghz 955
hd7750-msi
asrock nf6-glan
8gb pc2-6400
550w alpine psu
2x500 seagate sata hdd
temps are running at 41 idle(as im wrting this)
what could i honestly push my cpu too i have heard its poss for 4 ghz but im worried i dont want too cook it as i dont know what temps are too much although amd state 65c is utmost highest any help would be great

Solution
how high achievable clock and cooler Whatever you got .. max temp 60C fulload keep under stress test, and gaming max temp 53c and 1:45 vCore and limit maximum long-term .. just a suggestion

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Well depending on your ambient room temperature i would consider 41c idle on the high side, the best thing for you to do is download prime95 or occt and put your cpu on full load and tell us what temperatures you reach, i don't think you will have much headroom for an overclock temperature wise and i would have a guess and point that towards the one 80mm exhaust fan you have as that in my opinion would not be giving sufficient airflow

You should be able to get to 3.8 easy and probably 4.0ghz. Install CoreTemp and watch your temps as you load the cpu up to make sure it doesn't go too high. You could really use more exhaust fans, such as one in the top of the case as 80mm needs to run hard and loud to push sufficient airflow.

guitarman1017

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I saw this because i have the same processor and never really answer questions but thought i could help you out. I have a 955@ 3.8 using a CM hyper 212+ i idle at about 36C and I've seen it get up to 46C during load. The big thing is i have a Scythe ultra kaze as an exhaust fan. Its pretty loud but pushes a ton of air and belive thats what helps keep my temps low. I just used the thermal paste that came with the hyper 212. With all those fans at different cfm's you may be causing some turbulance. Theres several things that could be affecting your temp.

Ive overclocked to 4.02ghz with a voltage bump to 1.47 and it get up to about 48C on load but it kinda acts wierd that high. Hope i helped. And the core temp suggestion is a must if you're going to overclock.

icedriver220

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

after testing for two hrs my max temp was 55c at full load using siw to tell me temps simply because i had it installed already ///////maestro i changed the 80 mm delta fan (exhaust) for a 120mm high speed fan (exhaust) so now i have a freezer pro cpu cooler rev.2 with arctic silver 5 paste two 120mm fan one (inlet) one (exhaust) plus the 140mm side fan (inlet)