Solved

Test Boot With Intel's HeatSink Fan or H100?

So I need to know weather I do my test boot (out of the case) with the factory fan or with my h100, coz if I do with the factory fan I'm gonna have to remove it, and clean the back of my cpu. So maybe I could do my test boot with the H100? Easy question, thanks to everyone :)
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about test boot intel heatsink fan h100
  1. you will have to clean no matter what cooler you use thermal paste is a must. Just test boot it with the factory heat sink and fan, since it easier to mount and demount!
  2. Best answer
    it doesn't really matter if you have a cleaning kit for thermal compound or isopropyl alcohol i would say the intel heatsink because having the h100 attached to it already will just make it a step harder to get the motherboard in.
  3. The H100 comes with Thermal paste pre- applied, so all I would need is a cleaning kit?
  4. darkthings said:
    The H100 comes with Thermal paste pre- applied, so all I would need is a cleaning kit?


    if you intend to remove the h100 after its been installed yes also you will need new thermal compound.
  5. I dont plan on removing it once it's installed
  6. then you are fine
  7. So basically I install the factory fan for my normal test boot, remove it, clean the cpu and install the h100? thanks guys
  8. yeah you can get isopropyl alcohol at a drug store and that is what most people use to clean put some on a piece of toilet paper and get all of the old stuff off
  9. ty rly helped
  10. darkthings said:
    So I need to know weather I do my test boot (out of the case) with the factory fan or with my h100, coz if I do with the factory fan I'm gonna have to remove it, and clean the back of my cpu. So maybe I could do my test boot with the H100? Easy question, thanks to everyone :)

    A test boot out of the case is a good idea. I always try to do that.
    If you think that you could install the H100 in the case without removing it from the cpu/motherboard, then I certainly would do that. It will test out the proper functioning of the H100. That would also give you an opportunity to do some testing of overclocking in a test bed environment. Even if you will need to remove the H100, I still might use it for testing.

    Be prepared to remove the paste from the cpu and h100 and to reapply new paste. I use common rubbing alcohol and a lint free paper coffee filter. No need to remove the cpu from the socket. Most any paste will do, the efficacy of different formulations is relatively similar. AS5 is a popular one.
  11. great reply geofelt but i heard AS5 isn't that great compared to some new stuff now a days like MX4 or NT-H1; I just want to know for the future to help other people on the forums.
  12. emperor piehead said:
    great reply geofelt but i heard AS5 isn't that great compared to some new stuff now a days like MX4 or NT-H1; I just want to know for the future to help other people on the forums.

    I have used AS5 and MX4, and could not tell the difference. Don't know about NT-H1. I think it is much more important to apply whatever paste well. Even then, there are differing opinions on methodology. Even different methods do not seem to make a significant difference.
    The purpose of paste is to fill in microscopic pits in the mating surfaces so that air is not trapped. Air is a poor conductor of heat, compared to paste. But paste is poor compared to metal, so too much paste will act as an insulator. Not enough will not fill the pits. You need a goldilocks amount; not too much, not too little.
Ask a new question

Read More

Boot Fan Intel Components