$800 Gaming Desktop Build

alexoldshane

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Looking to build a new desktop for the wife.
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Before April 15th is likely.

Budget Range: $800 Before shipping / after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming(mostly WoW, SWTOR, Elder Scrolls Online, [MMOS]), surfing the web, movies, homework

Are you buying a monitor: Yes but not required to be considered for the 800$ budget. Currently have a ASUS 24" (VW246 from 2008) on my desktop and she figures that size would be fine

Do you need to buy OS: Yes - Can't seem to find my copy of Windows 7 OEM.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Place doesn't matter too much, I've always shopped at newegg, but if can get same part somewhere cheaper, perfectly fine with that.

Parts Preferences: Always been a fan of Intel. Haven't done me wrong yet, so why change. Not against AMD, so willing to consider them, but wouldn't be super excited/willing to change.

Overclocking: Not against the idea. However, if don't need to, would be fine to leave it be.

SLI or Crossfire: Currently have a desktop that runs SLI. Again, not necessary, but if cheap enough for good graphics cards will certainly consider.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080 or above.

Additional Comments: Would like a PC that runs relatively quiet (Got a
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower right now, and with fans running on Medium is about good for sound), graphics and speed. Not looking to play on "super ultra-break your face with all these pixels and high def" in games, but a good to high would be nice. 8GB of RAM and a 600+GB harddrive(7200RPM) would be great.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: We game a lot, and while the laptop is relatively new, it has began to give some issues which got she and I thinking about getting a desktop(Easier to upgrade parts, can hold a "future-proof" a bit easier, etc.).

Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts.

Currently, we've seen the Q1 2013 System Builder marathon for $800. I'm not sure how it runs for actual gaming though so I figured I'd make a post here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overclocking-gaming,3440.html

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($56.99 @ Mac Mall)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($297.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $829.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-16 11:56 EDT-0400)

This rig is the best performance you can get for your Money.

alexoldshane

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Anyone know how the two compare? Will take the windows 7 instead of 8 is likely, but aside that I'm not too great at just looking at that and being all, "this build is clearly better than the other"