Solved

Upgrade Dell XPS410

We use this computer for gaming. Old games. It freezes up in when in hibernation. May even freeze up when playing a game. What do I need to do to upgrade it without spending a lot of money, less than $300. Here is some information on it. I put windows 7 32-bit by mistake. Should I put in Windows 7 64 bit and get more RAM Memory?

Desktop Dell XPS 410
Computer: ACPI x86-based PC
Processor: Intel® Core™2 CPU 6700 @2.66GHz
Installed memory (RAM) 4.00 GB (3.00 GB usable)
System type: Windows 7 32-bit Operating System
Pen and Touch: No pen or Touch Input is available for this Display
Display adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
DVD/CD-ROM drives: TSST corp DVD+-RW TS-H653A
Floppy disk drive: Standard floppy disk controller
Keyboard: Logitech Gaming Virtual Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech Gaming Virtual Mouse
Monitors Dell M991
Sound: Creative SB X-Fi
Hard Drive: 322.10 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
Hard Drive: 640.14 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity only 319 GB shows
35 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade dell xps410
  1. Would this upgrade let us play games and be compatible with my computer? In addition would it be cost effective?

    Display adapters: Galaxy 65IGH8DL7AXX GeForce GTX 650 Ti GC 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card newegg $129 $109 after rebate

    Hard Drives: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive newegg $109

    System type: Change to Windows 7 64-bit Operating System already purchased

    Installed memory (RAM) install 2 – 2GB Dell replacement memory for 4.00 GB of RAM to upgrade to 8.0 GB of RAM Dell $54.99 total $109.98

    Dell PC doctor states my DVD/CD-ROM spindle is out of optimum and needs replaced.

    DVD/CD-ROM drives ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS – OEM newegg $19.99 + $4.99 shipping


    Total upgrade cost $352.96
  2. What power supply you have? 7900 GS required at least 350 watt, 650 TI requires at least 400 watt? How much you have?

    OK. Let me list all officially supported CPUs
    PR173 Presler P4 915, 2.80G, 2X2MB, 800FSB, D0
    UY273 Presler P4 915, 2.08G, 2X2MB, 800FSB, C1
    YW816 Presler P4 925, 3.00G, 2X2MB, 800FSB, D0
    XJ848 Presler P4 930, 3.00G, 2X2MB, 800FSB, C1
    PU963 Presler PD 935, 3.20G, 2X2MB, 800FSB, D0
    DK050 Presler P4 940, 3.20G, 2X2MB, 800FSB, C1
    RT922 Presler P4 945, 3.40G, 2X2MB, 800FSB, C1
    UJ776 Presler P4 950, 3.40G, 2X2MB, 800FSB, C1
    CJ163 Presler P4 960, 3.60G, 2x2MB, 800FSB, B1

    DK593 Cedar Mill 631, 3.00G, 2MB, 800FSB, C1
    PN407 Cedar Mill 641, 3.20G, 2MB, 800FSB, D0
    PY394 Cedar Mill 641, 3.20G, 2MB, 800FSB, C1
    KU339 Cedar Mill 651, 3.40G, 2MB, 800FSB, D0
    PY395 Cedar Mill 651, 3.40G, 2MB, 800FSB, C1
    DK594 Cedar Mill 661, 3.60G, 2MB, 800FSB, C1
    DT883 Cedar Mill 661, 3.60G, 2MB, 800FSB, D0

    HU587 Conroe E4300, 1.80G, 2MB, 800FSB, L2
    DX483 Conroe E4400, 2.00G, 2MB, 800FSB, L2
    RX522 Conroe E4400, 2.00G, 2MB, 800FSB, M0
    DT893 Conroe E6300, 1.86G, 2MB, 1066FSB, B2
    DU362 Conroe E6300, 1.86G, 2MB, 1066FSB, L2
    DX485 Conroe E6320, 1.86G, 4MB, 1066FSB, B2
    DU361 Conroe E6400, 2.13G, 2MB, 1066FSB, L2
    KN977 Conroe E6400, 2.13G, 2MB, 1066FSB, B2
    DX484 Conroe E6420, 2.13G, 4MB, 1066FSB, B2
    KU345 Conroe E6600, 2.40G, 4MB, 1066FSB, B2
    PN416 Conroe E6700, 2.66G, 4MB, 1066FSB, B2
    WM543 Conroe XE X6800, 2.93G, 4MB, 1066FSB, B2

    FG941 Smithfield P4 820, 2.80G, 2MB, 800FSB, Mainstream, B0
    UY272 Smithfield P4 805, 2.66G, 2X1MB, 533FSB, B0

    HU585 Kentsfield Quad Core Q6600, 2.40G, 8MB, 1066FSB, B30
    MP626 Kentsfield Quad Core Q6600, 2.40G, 8MB, 1066FSB, G0


    UT713 Prescott P4 531, 3.0G, 800FSB, 1MB, ALT, G1
    UT714 Prescott P4 541, 3.2G, 800FSB, 1MB, ALT, G1
    UY274 Prescott P4 524, 3.06G, 1MB, 533FSB, G1

    I highlighted yours and possible best upgrade. Now more user reported CPU upgrades. Q6700 reported compatible, and this is it.

    Now power supply. You can place better video card, but most likely you would have to consider power supply upgrade.
    To make your life easier I found YouTube video with instructions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjIc0BaTAA4

    What else I am missing here?
  3. Thank you for responding and the video. Very informative.
    The power supply is Dell CN-OKN624-71615-71P-1AFB
    Model no L375P-00
    P/N: PS-6371-1DF2-LF
    It states DC output 375W is this enough to run what I am proposing?

    HU585 Kentsfield Quad Core Q6600, 2.40G, 8MB, 1066FSB, B30
    MP626 Kentsfield Quad Core Q6600, 2.40G, 8MB, 1066FSB, G0

    Both of these units are no longer available. Do you know where I could get them at a reasonable price?
    Also the rest of the upgrades are they doable?
    Thanks
  4. Best answer
    turaniii said:

    Also the rest of the upgrades are they doable?



    What do you mean?
    Regarding finding processors. Q6600 for $85.00 in USA http://starmicroinc.net/intel-core-quad-q6600-24ghz-cache-1066mhz-socket-slacr-sl9um-64bit-desktop-processor-p-270.html
    Cheaper only on eBay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=q6600&_sacat=0&_from=R40

    If you will purchase those, let me know, so I can check for processor cooling upgrade, if necessary.

    P.S. Q6700 priced much more, reasonable only on eBay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=q6600&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=q6700&_sacat=0
  5. Kisianik said:
    turaniii said:

    Also the rest of the upgrades are they doable?



    What do you mean?
    Regarding finding processors. Q6600 for $85.00 in USA http://starmicroinc.net/intel-core-quad-q6600-24ghz-cache-1066mhz-socket-slacr-sl9um-64bit-desktop-processor-p-270.html
    Cheaper only on eBay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=q6600&_sacat=0&_from=R40

    If you will purchase those, let me know, so I can check for processor cooling upgrade, if necessary.

    P.S. Q6700 priced much more, reasonable only on eBay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=q6600&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=q6700&_sacat=0

  6. I am purchasing the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor BX80562Q6600 SLACR MALAY. Going hopefully the cheaper route on ebay. Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction on that.

    Do you think I need a processor cooling upgrade? If I do, I definitely need your help on that and would appreciate you checking for me.

    "Also the rest of the upgrades are they doable?" What I meant was the video card. Galaxy 65IGH8DL7AXX GeForce GTX 650 Ti GC 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card. Will it work in this machine with the upgrade or should I look a something else like MSI R7770-PMD1GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card. Again thank you very much for helping me.
  7. Since the money are tight, I would recommend checking first Toms review Best Graphics Cards For The Money: March 2013, and after this you can choose your approximate next step.
    Bear in mind that for all cards above 6670 or 7750 power supply upgrade is a must, which will drain you about $60 for good brand, at least. I would recommend looking into MSI Power requirements for graphics cards, it is generally recommended to add about 100 watt to the minimum from this table to ensure longevity and good performance under extreme loads.

    I will look into CPU cooler next, might take me a while.
  8. Kisianik said:
    Since the money are tight, I would recommend checking first Toms review Best Graphics Cards For The Money: March 2013, and after this you can choose your approximate next step.
    Bear in mind that for all cards above 6670 or 7750 power supply upgrade is a must, which will drain you about $60 for good brand, at least. I would recommend looking into MSI Power requirements for graphics cards, it is generally recommended to add about 100 watt to the minimum from this table to ensure longevity and good performance under extreme loads.

    I will look into CPU cooler next, might take me a while.
  9. It looks like any video card I get I am going to have to upgrade the power supply. After looking through Toms best for 2013 I found this on ebay New OEM Dell 512MB AMD VisionTek Radeon HD 5670 DVI/VGA/HDMI Video Card TKRH5 for $39. Would this be a good upgrade over my present card NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS? Or should I go with Radeon HD 6670 DDR3 or the Radeon HD 7750 or somethng else? The review stated that "the HD 7750 is the fastest graphics card you can get right now that doesn't require an auxiliary power input; it draws all that it needs from a 16-lane." Is this something I should worry about? Also does this affect my upgrade? If I have to get another power supply, what size would you recommend and what brand? I read that Antec, Corsair, Sea Sonic or Silverstone are all very good and that you should go at least 100 watt over the card, is that correct? If that was the case I would be looking for at least a 500 watt, correct? Thanks again.
  10. According to reviews 7750 will make you play all modern games on low to medium settings (I think Crysis 3 would be the lowest setting) and this is all (6670 is inferior to 7750). 7750 is the only card from entry level gaming ones, which doesn't require power supply upgrade (manufacturer would not tell you this, hence the wattage guide I provided is asking about 400 watt).
    So first decide approximately your target card, don't go with yesterday cards if you want to play today games, you will same probaly some money, but loose a lot of performance, and remember, some older cards have old DX.
    Say for an example, I have originally purchased MSI 550 TI OC about 14 months ago, and is (actually was) looking for upgrade, my preference is NVIDIA, so I was about to buy 560 TI used, but the difference in price was vs difference in performance was so drastic that I stop at MSI 660, especially when I saw how badly it destroyed 560 TI in one review (almost 100% performance increase) so I just purchased one, money is tight as well, but I decided to do last attempt to actually enjoy the graphics in my games, not only FPS.

    So, see first on how your possible video card choice is reported playing your favorite games, best place for this is youtube.
    After you decided about the video card, we will look into power supply.

    Also, CPU cooler would cost you somewhere under or around $30.
  11. Kisianik said:
    According to reviews 7750 will make you play all modern games on low to medium settings (I think Crysis 3 would be the lowest setting) and this is all (6670 is inferior to 7750). 7750 is the only card from entry level gaming ones, which doesn't require power supply upgrade (manufacturer would not tell you this, hence the wattage guide I provided is asking about 400 watt).
    So first decide approximately your target card, don't go with yesterday cards if you want to play today games, you will same probaly some money, but loose a lot of performance, and remember, some older cards have old DX.
    Say for an example, I have originally purchased MSI 550 TI OC about 14 months ago, and is (actually was) looking for upgrade, my preference is NVIDIA, so I was about to buy 560 TI used, but the difference in price was vs difference in performance was so drastic that I stop at MSI 660, especially when I saw how badly it destroyed 560 TI in one review (almost 100% performance increase) so I just purchased one, money is tight as well, but I decided to do last attempt to actually enjoy the graphics in my games, not only FPS.

    So, see first on how your possible video card choice is reported playing your favorite games, best place for this is youtube.
    After you decided about the video card, we will look into power supply.

    Also, CPU cooler would cost you somewhere under or around $30.
  12. You make a lot of sense with your comments on the video cards. Buying a card to save a little will cost me and I would not be happy with the results. I guess I am back up to MSI R7770-PMD1GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card or the Galaxy 65IGH8DL7AXX GeForce GTX 650 Ti GC 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card. Let me look into the cards a little more and give a definite. However, these two seem to be very good and at the top of my list, without breaking the bank.

    I saved a little on the CPU. I just purchased a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor - 2.40Ghz/8M/1066 - SLACR for $58 on ebay. It is suppose to come with the original Intel Heat Sink. So this will give me some extra money for the power supply.
  13. Regarding CPU cooler, look at this picture, Dell placed proprietary cooler shroud here, so you would not be able to use just any cooler, note new power supply in the same picture.



    Do you have to upgrade the cooler? I don't know this yet, still looking into this situation.
    You are on the right track.

    Edit. I found picture with original everything with main view on CPU cooler.

  14. Kisianik said:
    Regarding CPU cooler, look at this picture, Dell placed proprietary cooler shroud here, so you would not be able to use just any cooler, note new power supply in the same picture.



    Do you have to upgrade the cooler? I don't know this yet, still looking into this situation.
    You are on the right track.

    Edit. I found picture with original everything with main view on CPU cooler.

  15. Yes, that is my machine. It is going to be tight. I am not to familiar with modifing PC's. Can the proprietary cooler shroud that Dell placed there be removed with any major problems or is this a no go?

    After some research I am taking your advice and going with a better video card. The card I decide on is Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti GTX650TI-1GD5 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0(x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI-D, 1x D-Sub (VGA), 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Fan at tiger direct for $147.45. The reviewers gave real good reviews. More expensive cards seem to have a few more problems. I do not think I will have a problem fitting it in. Looks like enough space unlike the CPU and cooling fan. Do you think this video card will be OK with this machine once the CPU is upgraded?

    Of course I need a new power supply. This card is rated at 20A and 400w per the MSI power requirements. Do you think I should go for a 500w power supply?

    Again thanks. I am really indebited to all your help on this.
  16. I really don't want to drain your money, but I would not recommend anything below those

    If you can find Seasonic, XFX, OCZ, Corsair, Antec or Thermaltake cheaper elsewhere - those brands are guaranteed to last for long time, above provided list is just an example.

    Regarding video Card. I used MSI 550 TI OC, which is inferior to your choice and was able to play all games except Crysis 3 (don't have it yet, money tight), including Far Cry 3 and Battlefield 3 on tolerable settings, so you will be fine. If you want more quality, you have to pay above $200, so can not advise here really. I just bite the bullet recently and got MSI 660 ($240), Battlefiled 3 on ULTRA with ease, what a difference, now I am ready for Crysis 3.
  17. Kisianik said:
    I really don't want to drain your money, but I would not recommend anything below those

    If you can find Seasonic, XFX, OCZ, Corsair, Antec or Thermaltake cheaper elsewhere - those brands are guaranteed to last for long time, above provided list is just an example.

    Regarding video Card. I used MSI 550 TI OC, which is inferior to your choice and was able to play all games except Crysis 3 (don't have it yet, money tight), including Far Cry 3 and Battlefield 3 on tolerable settings, so you will be fine. If you want more quality, you have to pay above $200, so can not advise here really. I just bite the bullet recently and got MSI 660 ($240), Battlefiled 3 on ULTRA with ease, what a difference, now I am ready for Crysis 3.
  18. I just purchased everything to do the upgrade. I went with:

    Video Card - Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti GTX650TI-1GD5 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0(x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI-D, 1x D-Sub (VGA), 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Fan
    Hard drive - Toshiba HDKPC03 DT01ACA100 1TB Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200 RPM, SATA, 3.5"
    CD DVD Burner - Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner - DVD±R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD±R (DL) 12X, DVD-RAM 12X, CD-R 48X, CD-RW 32X, SATA, 2MB, Black, OEM
    Power Supply - OCZ ModXStream Pro Power Supply - 600-Watt, Modular, Dual +12V Rails, SATA, 80Plus
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor - 2.40Ghz/8M/1066 – SLACR
    Memory (RAM) – 2GB Dell replacement memory for 4.00 GB of RAM to upgrade to 8.0 GB of RAM
    Upgrading to 64 bit Windows 7
    Also got a Monitor - ASUS VS228H-P 22" Class Widescreen LED Backlit Monitor - 1920 x 1080, 16:9, 50000000:1 Dynamic, 5ms, HDMI, DVI, VGA, Energy Star

    I went with the modular power supply, did not want the extra wires taken up valuable space. It is a brand you recommended. I will take pictures. Not sure how to download them on this site. I had a old dell monitor and I figure with everything else I will just upgrade that too. I will let you know how it goes.
  19. Everything looks good, just use Arctic Silver 5 or similar quality thermal paste, also little question (if you did not finished yet), would you even consider trying to overclock? Theoretically you might be able to go to 3-3.4GHz range. Not easy, but very possible.
  20. Yes, I would consider that. I do not know much about it. I will have to read up on it. I thought you could not oveclock a Dell because they locked their Bios. The thermal paste I got was sscool STARS-700 Silver Color Thermal Grease. Is this OK. I can get another if this is not a good quality product. Thanks
  21. Have you put you computer back together already, there are 2 ways to overclock Dell locked BIOS models with Q6600 processor. First, tape mod, this is when small tape covers specific pins on processor, making it run at maximum speed (or something sounding similar), if you google this like Q6600 tape mod, you will find plenty entries (I am on iPhone now typing, so cannot provide any links). Second way, you have to find PLL number, I would have to get to computer for this, however there are 2 ways to find PLL - by software (not always work), and checking your MOBO with flash light and magnifiing glass - that is why I am typing this now - if you put computer components together already and MOBO is crowded it is very difficult to find.
    So where are you now, are done or not started yet?
  22. Kisianik said:
    Have you put you computer back together already, there are 2 ways to overclock Dell locked BIOS models with Q6600 processor. First, tape mod, this is when small tape covers specific pins on processor, making it run at maximum speed (or something sounding similar), if you google this like Q6600 tape mod, you will find plenty entries (I am on iPhone now typing, so cannot provide any links). Second way, you have to find PLL number, I would have to get to computer for this, however there are 2 ways to find PLL - by software (not always work), and checking your MOBO with flash light and magnifiing glass - that is why I am typing this now - if you put computer components together already and MOBO is crowded it is very difficult to find.
    So where are you now, are done or not started yet?
  23. No I have not put anything together yet. Have not started. Waiting for all the parts to come I did google overclocking Dell BIOS models with Q6600. You know your stuff. I kind of like the tape method. Researching it a little more. Thanks for messaging me so quickly so I could do this. This will help me out alot.
  24. This is new for me, I did not try this way, but it is promising to take a look, I would just provide bunch of links, read them, this is the only way - using PLL approach, pinmode is the other one, just google this one with Q6600, you will get a lot answers.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284144-29-intel-software-overclocking-intel-unlocked-cpus
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/429383-how-find-clock-generator-pll-your-notebook-desktop.html
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/393027-pll-pinmod-overclocking-methods-examples.html
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/231007-finding-your-pll-clockgen.html
    And this one is very close to your case
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?177696-XPS-Owners-Rejoice!!
    http://forums.rampantspeculation.com/showthread.php?s=a7939092b1ae6295a1c59724f5f4c2ed&t=618

    Those links will show you the way, not an easy one, but very much possible!
    I can not advice you more here in this direction, sorry.
  25. I wanted to update everyone on my progress. I have upgraded all the parts.
    Power supply – OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular Power Supply
    Hard Drive – Western Digital 320GB and Toshiba 1TB
    RAM – 8 GB
    Graphics card – Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti
    Monitor – Asus VS228
    Bios – Dell 2.5.3 11-22-07
    OS – Windows Professional 64 bit
    CPU – Intel Core2Quad CPU Q6600@2.40GHz
    Fan controller - Nzxt Sentry Mesh channels
    Fans - 2 - 80mm Rosewill, 2 - 90mm Masscool, 1 - 92mm Masscool, along with the original Dell CPU fans.

    CPU runs much cooler between 34C and 48C. Had a little problem getting RAM memory from Dell, finally went to MemoryX

    The over clocking of the CPU did not work. I tried the tape method of 1 pin. Turned on the computer and it would not recognize it. Removed the tape and it started up. Tried this a couple of times and it did not work. I now have purchased copper tape to connect the two pins, with the tape method. I want to try this as it is reversible, and the rest of the family will not forgive me if I wreck their computer. They are actually very happy right now.

    Question - Do I have the right Bios for over clocking or do I need another set? If I do where do I get them and how would I set this up on my computer?
    Also my computer performance is 7.1 to 7.5 in everything except Primary hard disk data transfer rate which is 5.6. How do I increase this or doesn't it matter? Thanks again.
    I am very proud of this accomplishment. You have helped me immensely. Wet my appetite to tried other computer upgrades and try a new built later. Thank you so very much.
    I wanted to post a before and an after pic, how do I do that? It is asking for a code and I am not sure where to get the code for the pics.
  26. First of all, I am happy that everything went the right way.

    Now back to the business. If you are generally happy with your current performance, I would probably advise you to stay where you are, or try upgrading using PLL numbers, but again, you can increase performance by about 10% during overclocking, is it worth the risk? I would not use conductive tape to prevent short in CPU, but again, by now you probably know more about this already.
    BIOS version doesn't make any difference here, since Dell is not supporting overclock in most cases. And, once you upgrade Dell BIOS, there is very difficult way to reverse BIOS upgrade.

    Regarding pictures. You have to join imageshack or photobucket or similar image hosting website, free version is recommended, then you upload your picture to that site and link your picture to the post here. I really want to see how you organized fans.

    And lastly, if you think that this post really helped you in upgrading your XPS, please pickup the my most important or informative reply as Pick as the solution, in this case your thread will move into Solved category and can be used as example by other forum members in tweaking their XPS.
  27. A picture of my computer before my upgrade.
    http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p691/Turaniii/IMAG1088_zpsa76a8ae4.jpg

    A picture of my computer after my upgrade
    http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p691/Turaniii/IMAG0006_zpsa7163e06.jpg

    You have helped me out immensely. I will be going back and picking your solution. I still am going to try to overclock it, using the copper tape. It is worth at least a couple more tries. How does it look, any suggestions? My fans are mostly used to circulate air through and away from the heatsink and CPU. Except for the one t the bottom which was mostly for looks. I just wanted the blue glow coming out of the grill. It does help cool the hard drives. Would an SSD help me out with a little more speed? Thanks
  28. Looks awesome, excellent work, how is it feel compare to the prior to upgrade?

    A few questions.
    First, I counted 4 fans on the picture, where is 5th fan?



    Can you name numbered fans, please, and provide ASUS model number or link, I can see at least 3 650TI and 1 650TI boost on newegg. And where is 5th fan, still can not see, LOL. You did not change CPU fan, correct?

    Please, now it is more important than ever to make this post SOLVED, so other XPS owners can pick it up as suggestion, especially for Q6600 upgrade.
  29. Kisianik said:
    Looks awesome, excellent work, how is it feel compare to the prior to upgrade?

    A few questions.
    First, I counted 4 fans on the picture, where is 5th fan?



    Can you name numbered fans, please, and provide ASUS model number or link, I can see at least 3 650TI and 1 650TI boost on newegg. And where is 5th fan, still can not see, LOL. You did not change CPU fan, correct?

    Please, now it is more important than ever to make this post SOLVED, so other XPS owners can pick it up as suggestion, especially for Q6600 upgrade.
  30. Thank you for the kind words on my project. You were an immense help. I will mark it as solved.
    Box 1 - two - Rosewill RFA-80-BL 80mm 4 Blue LEDs LED Case cooler fans side by side attached to screen. They fit against the screen correct height and amazingly two were just enough to fill the width.
    Box 2 – one - 92mm MASSCOOL BLD-09025S1M 92mm Blue LED Case Fan attached to the fan shroud.
    Box 3 and 4 – two - 92mm MASSCOOL BLD-09025S1M 92mm Blue LED Case Fans attached to the unit case screen
    All these fans direct air in one direct from front to back, directing air out the back of the case. The five fans plus the original Dell CPU fan have kept the CPU nice and cool highest temperature is 47C, the sixth fan is more cosmetic. I wanted the little grills on the front of the case to glow. So I put another 92mm over the hard drives in the shroud there, directly in front of the number 1 on your picture. You can see the blue glow if you look closely.

    Newegg
    N82E16835150105 MASSCOOL BLD-09025S1M 92mm Blue LED Case Fan $4.99
    N82E16811992007 NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller w/ Five 30 watts ChannelsNZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller w/ Five 30 watts Channels $24.99
    N82E16835100007 Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM $7.99
    N82E16835200045 2 - Rosewill RFA-80-BL 80mm 4 Blue LEDs LED Case cooler $4.69

    TigerDirect
    A455-5022 Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner - DVD±R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD±R (DL) 12X, DVD-RAM 12X, CD-R 48X, CD-RW 32X, SATA, 2MB, Black, OEM $19.99
    A455-0651 Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI-D, 1x D-Sub (VGA), 1x HDMI, DirectX 11.1, Overclocked, Dual-Slot, Dual Fan, (GTX650TI-O-1GD5) $139.99
    O261-2017 OCZ ModXStream Pro Power Supply - 600-Watt, Modular, Dual +12V Rails, SATA, 80Plus $74.99
    Amazon
    ASUS VS228H-P 22-Inch Full-HD 2ms LED-Lit LCD Monitor $129.99
    WD My Book 1TB External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 File Backup and Storage $86.71
    Ebay
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor - 2.40Ghz/8M/1066 – SLACR $50.00
  31. Thank you for posting back with clarifications and links - it will help others a lot.
  32. Hey there Turaniii

    First off I would like to say that I am impressed with the level of performance you have put into that system. FYI, I too have an XPS 410 with the E6400 running at 2.1 ghz and its currently running 3 gigs of memory 2x1 and 2x512. I am refurbishing this thing to send as a gift to a friend of mine who needs an upgrade in his PC life. I had this one laying around so I said I would send it to him. I have installed Vista 64 Home on the system because its the only OS thats not already registered that I could send, plus its on a Dell Media so no hassles installing it because all it cares to see during installation is whether or not its going on a Dell system by looking at the bios during the install. No License Key required.

    I put an old GTS 240 card in to replace the AMD X1300 512 meg card that originally came with it. I am then going to install a Corsair TX650M Bronze rated PSU to replace the 375w stock Dell PSU. Surprisingly the system runs with that card in it which requires a minimum 450w or above to run it. I kinda figure that Dell's PSU are underrated in their labeling because of the mass range of systems they have to go into. Almost every Dell PSU you pick up is usually heavy. They are not built with cheap components. I went to a store near here that had a 420 watt PSU that I needed to put into another older system I had for a relative of mine. I upgraded the video card in that system as well and it required a 350w or better. When I pulled the Dell out of that system and compared the weight of the two, the 420w PSU felt like nothing, System ran fine but it goes to show you that aftermarket stuff is not always what its cracked up to be. Back to my current project.

    I was really happy to learn that you were able to get 8 gigs of memory to run in the system. Every time I called Dell to ask them if I could put more than 4 gigs of memory in, their response was no. Of course they are going to say no and not tell you that if you put a 64 bit OS on the system it will see all the memory because they want to sell you a new PC. So that's the next thing I am going to get done for him or make sure he does it once he get the system is to put four 2gig modules in so the system runs much smoother and has some headroom to run background apps and processes.

    Finally I too was researching the compatible processors that could go in this socket 775 board and noticed that it would support two of the Q series Quad Core Duo's. My only concern was of course having the necessary power to run it properly and then being able to cool it. I like that you have a push/pull set up on the shroud. I have always liked this particular model (XPS410) because of the cooling shroud and the fan that comes with it is almost overkill for that CPU. I will probably pull the shroud and replace the internal fan in there just because the system is 4 yrs old. I am then going to copy your case intake fan set up to provide more airflow.

    Finally, one of the main cards I was looking at to upgrade over the GTS 240 1gig card was the Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, I also noticed a 2 gig and 4 gig version of the same card. The only difference was memory was GDDR3. The system currently has one 500g, and one 250g sata 3 drives. Ultimately,I am going to recommend to my friend when he has the money get a SSD drive and clone his primary drive to the SSD drive to help take this thing over the top.

    The XPS 410 except for maybe the Alien branded systems is probably the most upgradeable system Dell has produced. I worked for Dell for almost 4 years in technical support for Laptops and Optiplex desktops. Knowing about the proprietary production model I was alway leary of getting one because I knew I would always want to upgrade. I personally have a custom built desktop that I built a little over a year ago that is almost worth $3000 dollars. I just hated being limited in my ability to make the system a little better. However, the XPS 410 has been an awesome rig since the day I got it, and now that it is going to live much farther beyond its years to be a pretty solid gaming rig for my friend I must say Dell out did themselves with this model. The tool less case is exceptional and Dell's inability to (Thank Goodness) recognize that they released this beast upon the public is nothing short of a miracle. Long gone are the days when you would get one of their systems and then try and put an aftermarket card in only to realize that Dell reversed their slots on their motherboards just so you could not do something like that. They no longer use that practice, but I used to speak to a lot of angry customers who were pissed that they had to purchase any and all upgrades through Dell because everything was proprietary.

    I have ranted long enough. Thanks again Turanii and Kisianik :bounce:
  33. Hi FragMented:

    Thank you for the excellent feedback. I am sorry I have not replied to you sooner, some problems with my father's health. This computer is working strong and is even running Rome 2. Some minor problems with the mouse. Had to change the speed.

    The Dell power unit is extremely underrated. After I did this a co-worker gave me a XPS 420. I put a Asus GTX 660 2GB card in it and it works flawlessly. The only suggestion I have is to upgrade the Vista OS. I have had trouble and everyone I know has had trouble with that system. Windows 7 is more stable. I had no problems putting in a windows 7 OS non-Dell. It accepts it without problems. Maybe I have been just lucky but it has worked on a couple of systems.

    The 8 gigs of memory really works fine. I have not had problem except I bought some bad memory from Newegg. They were extremely nice to deal with and replaced the memory. It did mess up my system for a while. Now I know all the rants and raves about what bad memory can do to a system if it is left in. Luckily I figured it out quickly and got it out before too much damage happened, but it did mess up two computers. When I took out 4 gigs due to the memory problem. I could not believe the difference in speed, it was extremely slow and the programs just took forever to do anything. Dell is wrong about the 8 gigs. This system needs and wants it.

    Again thank you for your praise and a special thanks for my friend Kisianik for being so patient with me as I fumbled my way through this and encouraging me not to give up.
  34. turaniii said:
    and a special thanks for my friend Kisianik for being so patient with me as I fumbled my way through this and encouraging me not to give up.


    You are very welcome. Just one question - did you managed to overclock using tape or not? I am advising all users with Q6600 to go through tape mode, but using conductive ink.
  35. Kisianik said:
    turaniii said:
    and a special thanks for my friend Kisianik for being so patient with me as I fumbled my way through this and encouraging me not to give up.


    You are very welcome. Just one question - did you managed to overclock using tape or not? I am advising all users with Q6600 to go through tape mode, but using conductive ink.


    I tried it a couple of times with tape and it did not work. It has been working well so I decide to stop while I was ahead. Again a big thank you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel Dell Systems