Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Just crossfired, black screen after Windows 7 startup

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 17, 2013 3:42:21 AM

Yeah, I had a 5670 already in my computer so I bought another 5670 just to not waste the already existing one. I plugged the other one in, connected the PCI-e cables, and turned the PC on. It started(though it did the "fan speedup" thing twice before beeping), it went to the "Starting Windows" screen and BOOM! black screen. And my monitor doesn't say "no signal", it's literally a black screen. Here's a list of things I've tried:
1. Uninstall drivers, use Driver Sweeper and ATIMan Uninstaller combined, installed drivers again - no success.
2. Swap cards - no success.
3. Use system repair - no success.
4. Fiddle with every possible motherboard BIOS setting - no success.
5. Update motherboard BIOS - no success.
6. Deconnect the PCI-e power connector from the second card before starting up and connect the power connector after Windows load up(yeah I know it's crazy) - partial success, it boots but it doesn't detect the second card
7. sfc /scannow - no success.

Here's my system specs:
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
AMD Phenom II x6 1100T Black Edition
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB
PowerColor HD5670x2 2GB
Corsair 2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate.

More about : crossfired black screen windows startup

March 17, 2013 4:38:41 AM

Long shot, but are you making use of the HDMI output?
In my past experience with GPU's is that when you use the HDMI port on the GPU while DVI or VGA is being used then the screen goes black because HDMI is first priority.
What you can do to fix this, if this is in fact your problem is simply use VGA or DVI and configure your control panel accordingly.
m
0
l
March 17, 2013 4:45:27 AM

CntrlAltDel said:
Long shot, but are you making use of the HDMI output?
In my past experience with GPU's is that when you use the HDMI port on the GPU while DVI or VGA is being used then the screen goes black because HDMI is first priority.
What you can do to fix this, if this is in fact your problem is simply use VGA or DVI and configure your control panel accordingly.


I'm using DVI.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 17, 2013 5:08:08 AM

There is a slight possibility that it's PSU related since it loads to the startup where graphics begin to process.
m
0
l
March 17, 2013 5:12:53 AM

CntrlAltDel said:
There is a slight possibility that it's PSU related since it loads to the startup where graphics begin to process.


It's a Cooler Master 500W PSU.
m
0
l
March 17, 2013 5:23:13 AM

The requirement for CrossFire with that GPU is 500w. So it should work just fine.
I had the same problem with my GPU (uses 2x 6-pin connectors) my PSU only had 1 so I got a molex to 6-pin connector but every time I moved the molex of any molex on the PSU then I'd immediately get a black screen until I decided to solder the 6-pin onto the PSU and never had that problem again.
m
0
l
March 17, 2013 5:41:23 AM

CntrlAltDel said:
The requirement for CrossFire with that GPU is 500w. So it should work just fine.
I had the same problem with my GPU (uses 2x 6-pin connectors) my PSU only had 1 so I got a molex to 6-pin connector but every time I moved the molex of any molex on the PSU then I'd immediately get a black screen until I decided to solder the 6-pin onto the PSU and never had that problem again.

I've tried a 6-pin splitter and a molex*2 to 6-pin and it still black screens.

m
0
l
March 17, 2013 6:04:06 AM

Just removed 13.1 drivers completely and installed 12.10 and it works like a dream!
m
0
l
!