My £2000 Gaming/Editing Rig

Gaming/Editing PC
CPU:Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Socket 1155 (£249@Amazon)
CPU Cooler:Corsair H100 High Performance Cooler (£85@Amazon)
Motherboard:ASUS P8Z77-V PRO Intel Z77 (£160@Novatech)
Memory:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz (£90@Amazon)
Storage:SeagateBarracuda 2TB 64MB 7200rpm (£70@Amazon)
Storage:Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSHD 2.5" Basic Kit (£133@Novatech)
Video Card:Asus Nvidia GeForce 2GB GTX 680 DirectCU II OC(£399@Amazon)
Case:Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition Case(£201@Novatech)
Power Supply:Corsair HX850 80 PLUS GPS (£134@Amazon)
OS:Microsoft Windows 7 Profesional 64-bit (£111@Amazon)
Optical Drive:Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal SDD (£22@Amazon)
Monitor:ASUS VE247H 24 inch Full HD 1080p 1980x1080 2ms (£145@Amazon)
Mouse:Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse (£63@Amazon)
Keyboard:Razer Lycosa Mirror Gaming Keyboard (£60@Amazon)
Speakers:Creative Inspire T6160 (£60@Amazon)

Total:£1982

What do you think
15 answers Last reply
More about 2000 gaming editing rig
  1. Oh and overclocking to about 4.4ghz
  2. Yeah, looks good. Not a fan of the Level 10GT but if you like it then I have nothing to say.

    Just a side note, you do realize you don't need 850W for a single GTX680? However, if you have considered SLI or your future upgrades, then it's fine.
  3. I would probably change the keyboard for a Logitech G510, not had good luck with the Lycosa KB (build quality) and would add another Seagate hdd (2x HDD) and have it setup as RAID 0 for performance.
  4. That's all pretty similar to my setup, but I went with a custom water cooling loop and I'm using the NZXT Switch 810 case. Can't say Thermaltake was of my taste! They are good with lots of space but with the big intake and exhaust fans on the door and roof, I'd probably not bother with the H100. You'd be just as well off with a high end air cooler like the Thermaltake or Noctua, it would be £40+ cheaper whilst performing as good as (if not better than) the H100. Otherwise go with a total watercooling loop and do it properly!
  5. CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£239.94 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£75.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£175.99 @ Dabs)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£94.76 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£87.54 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£173.99 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£288.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£288.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.14 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£101.00 @ Ebuyer)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SN-208DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£20.97 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)
    Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor (£152.41 @ Amazon UK)
    Keyboard: SteelSeries 6Gv2 Wired Standard Keyboard (£77.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei Wired Laser Mouse (£59.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Speakers: Logitech Z313 25W 2.1ch Speakers (£69.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1987.54
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-17 16:06 GMT+0000)

    Hello mate, overall great build! However I did some tweaks to it, that in my opinion and in most cases will benifit you better.

    I tried staying within your budget and tried to choose components that was pretty close, to those as you already had. So I chose Intel CPU and Nvidia GPUs. Don't take this as an answer, but more as inspiration of how you could squeeze more performance out of your Money, still while getting Premium hardware, as excellent MOBO, PSU and great SSD. This system also offer great accoustics as the CASE is filled with sound dampning material.
  6. You're going to benefit a lot more from this setup:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£239.94 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£55.82 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£182.00 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£89.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£67.14 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£173.99 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£319.99 @ Novatech)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£319.99 @ Novatech)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.99 @ Novatech)
    Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£79.99 @ Aria PC)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHOS104-06 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Drive (£27.98 @ Novatech)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.19 @ Aria PC)
    Monitor: Asus VE248H 24.0" Monitor (£160.45 @ CCL Computers)
    Keyboard: Gigabyte GK-K8100 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£44.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Laser Mouse (£45.03 @ Ebuyer)
    Speakers: Creative Labs Inspire T6160 50W 5.1ch Speakers (£52.27 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £1986.74
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

    BTW that is a 5.1 surround sound setup...
  7. Your build looks solid i agree with EzioAs comments
  8. The Level 10 GT is a fine case ..... the case door fan feature alone is worth $75.... the aesthetics however is a personal thing.

    Minor comments:

    The H100 sounds like ya live next to an airport. The three top air coolers (Noctua DH-14, Thermalright Silver Arrow and PH-TC14PE) come within 1/4 degree of the H100 but are much quieter ..... Id go with the Phanteks.... The Noc is a great performer but it's fugly as hell warranty is 1/5th of the Phanteks.

    http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/phanteks_ph_tc14pe_cpu_cooler_review,14.html

    2. I'd upgrade to the Asus Sabertooth or WS

    3. Make sure it's the "low profile" Vengeance

    4. I'd echo the twin 670's choice but Id stick with the DCII

    5. The HX has lower ripple and better voltage stability than Corsair's newer AX line.

    6. The Barracuda XT is a great HD, the Barracuda not so much

    7. Id upgrade to Blue Ray capable optical

    8. Yes, stick w/ Windows Professional

    9. I'd consider a 120 Hz monitor
  9. JackNaylorPE said:

    6. The Barracuda XT is a great HD, the Barracuda not so much

    7. Id upgrade to Blue Ray capable optical

    9. I'd consider a 120 Hz monitor

    You Kidding me Bro? Barracuda XT. Which year u living in? Unless u mean the Hybrids which are crap.
    Better upgrade to the Pro OR a 4TB/3TB Seagate Barracuda.
    IDK if he will ever use a Bluray. Most people just get the Cheapest drive out there.
    For the Monitors i recommend the xl2411t or the VG248QE.

    Edit: The OP will save more by getting a Phantomm or any other cheaper case(CM Stryker, Fractal etc)
    Its his personal taste though.
    + a 7970 might be better, unless u want CUDA.
  10. JackNaylorPE said:
    The Level 10 GT is a fine case ..... the case door fan feature alone is worth $75.... the aesthetics however is a personal thing.

    Minor comments:

    The H100 sounds like ya live next to an airport. The three top air coolers (Noctua DH-14, Thermalright Silver Arrow and PH-TC14PE) come within 1/4 degree of the H100 but are much quieter ..... Id go with the Phanteks.... The Noc is a great performer but it's fugly as hell warranty is 1/5th of the Phanteks.

    http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/phanteks_ph_tc14pe_cpu_cooler_review,14.html

    2. I'd upgrade to the Asus Sabertooth or WS

    3. Make sure it's the "low profile" Vengeance

    4. I'd echo the twin 670's choice but Id stick with the DCII

    5. The HX has lower ripple and better voltage stability than Corsair's newer AX line.

    6. The Barracuda XT is a great HD, the Barracuda not so much

    7. Id upgrade to Blue Ray capable optical

    8. Yes, stick w/ Windows Professional

    9. I'd consider a 120 Hz monitor


    Why? Blu Ray on PC is a gigantic waste of money, IMO. Games on BD-R are never going to happen and movies on BD-R is more of a hassle than a convenience.

    And then I would never pay money for the Sabertooth - it's expensive and overrated, and that thermal armor is a heat trap. The only thing Asus has done to prevent the problem is to include two 80mm fans which just circulate the hot air underneath the armor. It's a waste of money on both counts.
  11. g-unit1111 said:
    And then I would never pay money for the Sabertooth - it's expensive and overrated, and that thermal armor is a heat trap. The only thing Asus has done to prevent the problem is to include two 80mm fans which just circulate the hot air underneath the armor. It's a waste of money on both counts.


    +1. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this.
  12. I wouldnt use dual gpus in an editing rig. In such situations I would recommend a Titan. I know it is pricey but I have one myself and it is beautiful at editing and rendering. ALso pretty good at gaming. An ssd of that size is overkill, as is the PSU. Get a 750 watt psu Max (preferably from antec or corsair or seasonic).
    Apower101
  13. EzioAs said:
    g-unit1111 said:
    And then I would never pay money for the Sabertooth - it's expensive and overrated, and that thermal armor is a heat trap. The only thing Asus has done to prevent the problem is to include two 80mm fans which just circulate the hot air underneath the armor. It's a waste of money on both counts.


    +1. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this.


    Oh yeah I've long thought the Sabertooth redesign was horrible, and what sucks worse is they're using it again on the Z87 models. Ugh. :pfff:
  14. g-unit1111 said:
    EzioAs said:
    g-unit1111 said:
    And then I would never pay money for the Sabertooth - it's expensive and overrated, and that thermal armor is a heat trap. The only thing Asus has done to prevent the problem is to include two 80mm fans which just circulate the hot air underneath the armor. It's a waste of money on both counts.


    +1. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this.


    Oh yeah I've long thought the Sabertooth redesign was horrible, and what sucks worse is they're using it again on the Z87 models. Ugh. :pfff:


    As long as people keep falling to marketing gimmicks, they won't stop, I guess. :( The longer than average warranty isn't bad though.

    Btw, you're a moderator now? :) Been a while since I've visited the forum...
  15. EzioAs said:
    g-unit1111 said:
    EzioAs said:
    g-unit1111 said:
    And then I would never pay money for the Sabertooth - it's expensive and overrated, and that thermal armor is a heat trap. The only thing Asus has done to prevent the problem is to include two 80mm fans which just circulate the hot air underneath the armor. It's a waste of money on both counts.


    +1. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this.


    Oh yeah I've long thought the Sabertooth redesign was horrible, and what sucks worse is they're using it again on the Z87 models. Ugh. :pfff:


    As long as people keep falling to marketing gimmicks, they won't stop, I guess. :( The longer than average warranty isn't bad though.

    Btw, you're a moderator now? :) Been a while since I've visited the forum...


    Yeah I got modded about two months ago.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Amazon New Build Homebuilt New Build Systems