Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

1400$ Gaming build... Need some help on my MOBO/RAM

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 17, 2013 12:13:20 PM

Here is my build, pretty sure everything is compatible with eachother.

GRAPHICS CARD- EVGA Geforce GTX 680 2GB -550.46$
PROCESSOR- i5-3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4Ghz (3.8Ghz Turbo) -259.82$
HDD- WD Black 1tb 7200 RPM SATA 6.0 GB/s -123.19$
CASE- Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX Mid tower -78.39$
PSU- Seasonic G series 550W ATX 12V/EPS 12V -110.19$
DVD Burner- Samsung DVD Burner 24X DVD+RW SATA Model -23.99$ Amazon

MOBO-
RAM-

I left these 2 spots blank because im not sure what MOBO will benefit the most from these parts. Then following the MOBO i will have an idea on what RAM i should get..

I was thinking of an asus V-LK but i could spend more its not a problem.
And for RAM i was thinking of Patriot or G.Skill sticks.. cas 9-9-9 1.5V sound about right?

Just keep in mind it does not have to be 1400 or less i have more money than that, i was just wanting to spend around 1400 thanks agaaain.
a b 4 Gaming
March 17, 2013 12:20:30 PM

i would grab an wd blue
also grab the gigabyte z77x ud3h
m
0
l
March 17, 2013 12:26:38 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($100.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($348.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1070.35
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-17 15:25 EDT-0400)

Alternatively:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($100.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($297.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($297.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1377.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-17 15:26 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
March 17, 2013 12:30:38 PM

I would recommend

mobo:ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


RAM:G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Share
a b 4 Gaming
March 17, 2013 12:34:40 PM

For RAM, you don't need those nice looking fins or heat spreaders on the sticks. Looks really cool, but can get in the way of your CPU cooler.

Also, Intel has a superb memory controller and for the 3570K, memory above 1600 just doesn't help more than maybe 1% or so, if at all. And the CAS time has even less effect, as in none. You see, nowadays the Intel Processors work out of their internal cache and they refill it in a huge burst of memory. The CAS delays are how long it takes for the RAM to start pumping out the data, once it starts it is very quick so it makes no difference.

This wasn't true years ago with Intel, and AMD does work much better with faster memory.
m
0
l
March 17, 2013 12:47:31 PM



stickmansam said:
i would grab an wd blue
also grab the gigabyte z77x ud3h


WD blue is the most basic model of the western digital HDD's. black on the other hand is faster performance also a bit more expensive. Ima a gamer and i like my shit to be nice/top quality if the choice is within reason.. in other words i like my shit to be G'd out pimped out if you like. as for the Gigabyte board i havnt really read up on them although i have heard of recommendations i still must stick with asus unless you have some sort of input on that mobo.
m
0
l
March 17, 2013 12:49:51 PM

SHORYUKEN said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($100.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($348.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1070.35
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-17 15:25 EDT-0400)

Alternatively:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($100.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($297.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($297.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1377.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-17 15:26 EDT-0400)


As for this post, i dont want amd the shit doesnt last as long, even if it gives more benchmark test scores.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 17, 2013 12:51:09 PM

asrock z77 extreme 4 will do fine here also 8gb of any 1600mhz ram should do fine here timing and speed really doesn't matter...
m
0
l
March 17, 2013 12:56:05 PM

bigcyco1 said:
I would recommend

mobo:ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


RAM:G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thanks Big c, that mobo looks good i wasnt quite sure if i should be getting a more expensive one like the Asus Sabertooth x79 which is 339.00$ but the only difference there is the fact that the board offers sli 3 way right? i will get a bigger motherboard i think in the future but does the v lk offer sli?
m
0
l
March 17, 2013 12:57:58 PM

burritobob said:
asrock z77 extreme 4 will do fine here also 8gb of any 1600mhz ram should do fine here timing and speed really doesn't matter...


thanks burrito, tell me does the extreme 4 offer sli or dual gpus running at the same time?
m
0
l
March 17, 2013 1:01:11 PM

The P8Z77-V LK offers 2 way SLI or CrossFire. You can't use a X79 board without a 2011 socket CPU, such as the i7-3930K. ASUS Sabertooth is crap.
m
0
l
March 17, 2013 1:06:19 PM

pgerv said:
SHORYUKEN said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($100.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($348.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1070.35
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-17 15:25 EDT-0400)

Alternatively:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($100.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($297.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($297.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1377.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-17 15:26 EDT-0400)


As for this post, i dont want amd the shit doesnt last as long, even if it gives more benchmark test scores.


Someone's been smoking too much dope lately!
AMD graphics cards are FINE. Their processors dont compete but their graphics cards are just as good as nvidia, and 2 7950's definitely SMOKE a 680.


Even a single 7950 with enough OCing competes with a 680
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 17, 2013 1:08:02 PM

pgerv said:
bigcyco1 said:
I would recommend

mobo:ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


RAM:G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thanks Big c, that mobo looks good i wasnt quite sure if i should be getting a more expensive one like the Asus Sabertooth x79 which is 339.00$ but the only difference there is the fact that the board offers sli 3 way right? i will get a bigger motherboard i think in the future but does the v lk offer sli?
Yeah the P8Z77-V LK offers 2 way SLI you can't use a x79 board with ivy bridge cpu so that would not work anyway if you want a better mobo look at the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/asus_p... <--- review w/benchmarks http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ASUS-P8Z77-V-PRO... <--- review w/benchmarks http://www.techreaction.net/2012/06/28/review-asus-p8z7... <--- review w/benchmarks


m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 17, 2013 1:11:00 PM

caydn12 said:
pgerv said:
SHORYUKEN said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($100.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($348.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1070.35
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-17 15:25 EDT-0400)

Alternatively:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($100.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($297.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($297.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1377.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-17 15:26 EDT-0400)


As for this post, i dont want amd the shit doesnt last as long, even if it gives more benchmark test scores.


Someone's been smoking too much dope lately!
AMD graphics cards are FINE. Their processors dont compete but their graphics cards are just as good as nvidia, and 2 7950's definitely SMOKE a 680.


Even a single 7950 with enough OCing competes with a 680
No need to get offended i think the point is he doesn't want amd
;) 

m
0
l
March 17, 2013 1:23:38 PM

Someone's been smoking too much dope lately!
AMD graphics cards are FINE. Their processors dont compete but their graphics cards are just as good as nvidia, and 2 7950's definitely SMOKE a 680.
Even a single 7950 with enough OCing competes with a 680[/quotemsg]


Right, now a single 7950 Saphire 3GB 384-bit costs 470.25$. whereas the 680 is 550.46$, for one i don't have the money to get two Graphics cards yet but i will be ready in the future to have another one.. that being said i would rather get the better gpu now and then upgrade in the future..also everything is intel based already why not keep it all the same. less problems with the system as a whole? you are right though better to get 2 saphire hd 7950's rather than 1 gtx 680.. not like i will really need that yet and as of now i dont have the cash..
m
0
l
March 17, 2013 1:29:18 PM

i live in canada though and newegg.ca says its 470.25$

my prices are all after tax and shipping, just saying

sory my bad i had a psu in the cart as well as the 7950 so it is acually only 360$ but still more expensive than i can afford.. i might even get the 670 but that might acually make too much of a difference graphics wise for me gaming.. maybe not
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 17, 2013 1:43:11 PM

pgerv said:


stickmansam said:
i would grab an wd blue
also grab the gigabyte z77x ud3h


WD blue is the most basic model of the western digital HDD's. black on the other hand is faster performance also a bit more expensive. Ima a gamer and i like my shit to be nice/top quality if the choice is within reason.. in other words i like my shit to be G'd out pimped out if you like. as for the Gigabyte board i havnt really read up on them although i have heard of recommendations i still must stick with asus unless you have some sort of input on that mobo.


the blacks only offer a longer warranty period
the blacks are not faster than the blues (1tb vs 1tb)


m
0
l
March 17, 2013 1:57:20 PM

stickmansam said:
pgerv said:


stickmansam said:
i would grab an wd blue
also grab the gigabyte z77x ud3h


WD blue is the most basic model of the western digital HDD's. black on the other hand is faster performance also a bit more expensive. Ima a gamer and i like my shit to be nice/top quality if the choice is within reason.. in other words i like my shit to be G'd out pimped out if you like. as for the Gigabyte board i havnt really read up on them although i have heard of recommendations i still must stick with asus unless you have some sort of input on that mobo.


the blacks only offer a longer warranty period
the blacks are not faster than the blues (1tb vs 1tb)




Thank you sticks i will go with the blue.
m
0
l
March 17, 2013 4:48:46 PM

pgerv said:
Someone's been smoking too much dope lately!
AMD graphics cards are FINE. Their processors dont compete but their graphics cards are just as good as nvidia, and 2 7950's definitely SMOKE a 680.
Even a single 7950 with enough OCing competes with a 680



Right, now a single 7950 Saphire 3GB 384-bit costs 470.25$. whereas the 680 is 550.46$, for one i don't have the money to get two Graphics cards yet but i will be ready in the future to have another one.. that being said i would rather get the better gpu now and then upgrade in the future..also everything is intel based already why not keep it all the same. less problems with the system as a whole? you are right though better to get 2 saphire hd 7950's rather than 1 gtx 680.. not like i will really need that yet and as of now i dont have the cash..
[/quotemsg]

Well where you live at if it costs $470 then I wouldnt go for it, but in AMURICA (LOL) it only costs 270. Now I see why you wouldnt consider it
m
0
l
March 18, 2013 9:50:39 PM

Thanks for the input guys, helped me out a bit :) 
m
0
l
!