Solved

CM Hyper 212 Evo - Directions of Double fans

Hello there,

(i7-860@3.42G O/C, CM-Hyper212Evo, GTX570@900MHz, 8gb 1444MHz Kingston Memory 2x4kit O/C)

I recently replaced my stock intel cooler with a CM Hyper 212 Evo. As you may know you get single fan with the box purchase so i got also a second fan to attach both sides of the heat sink.

My question is... How should i place the fans on the heat sink. (directional wise..)

Options:
1. both fans facing same direction so there will be a 1-way air flow (left to right or vice-versa)

2. both fans facing to the heatsink so they will push air into sink

3. both fans facing away from the heatsink so they both suck air out the sink...

Thanks in advance.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hyper 212 evo directions double fans
  1. The second would suck air from the heatsink and out towards your case rear/top exhaust fan depending on the heatsinks orientation.
  2. Both fans blowing towards the rear of the case is the norm for a push-pull config.
  3. DiaSin said:
    Both fans blowing towards the rear of the case is the norm for a push-pull config.


    Let me confirm if i get it correct... fans should be blowing to the case fan right?
    Let me demonstrate...

    case fan <<<< air <<<< cpu fan1 <<<< heat sink <<<< air <<<< cpu fan2 <<<< air <<<< ||| memory slots

    sorry for inconvenience of the demo :)
  4. n1ghtr4v3n said:
    DiaSin said:
    Both fans blowing towards the rear of the case is the norm for a push-pull config.


    Let me confirm if i get it correct... fans should be blowing to the case fan right?
    Let me demonstrate...

    case fan <<<< air <<<< cpu fan1 <<<< heat sink <<<< air <<<< cpu fan2 <<<< air <<<< ||| memory slots

    sorry for inconvenience of the demo :)


    That is correct for a push/pull config.
  5. So... I tried all those push pull setups, removed the sink, re-applied paste, carefully mounted it again and again, re arranged all cable and open lots of empty space in the case....

    My temperatures are incredibly high:

    IDLE: 30-40C
    LOAD: (with prime95 torture full heat setup) after like 1-2 pass temps are over 90C (so i stop the test manually)

    anybody has any idea what might be wrong ? i believe im not even pushing the cpu much and its running @3.4-3.6GHz and voltage is like 1.28-1.30V

    EDIT: Ive been surfing around for an answer but many people are even running i7-860 with higher settings like over 4GHz and voltages like 1.3-1.4V and generate like 60-65C in hours of torture test... I dont know what to do...
  6. Are you using the thermal compound that came with the 212? If so, that could be your problem as what comes with it is basically crap.

    I use Tuniq-TX4 and have had great results with it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154012
  7. Best answer
    As you may already know, the fan pushing air into the radiator should be a static air pressure fan. But when running push/pull, the fan pulling air out should actually be an open blade airflow fan. This will work really great, since no air will be stuck inside the radiator.
    I myself am running a push/pull setup on my Hyper 212+. I kept the stock fan for push, and am using a Fractal Design Silent Series 120mm for pull. Very quiet and low temps :)
  8. TjobStickz said:
    As you may already know, the fan pushing air into the radiator should be a static air pressure fan. But when running push/pull, the fan pulling air out should actually be an open blade airflow fan. This will work really great, since no air will be stuck inside the radiator.
    I myself am running a push/pull setup on my Hyper 212+. I kept the stock fan for push, and am using a Fractal Design Silent Series 120mm for pull. Very quiet and low temps :)


    Whoa thanks... I tried a similar set up last night, actually i guess this worked. I managed to drop until like 70-80C depending on the load with 180bclk @3.6GHz... As you referred, I used the stock fan that comes with EVO for push and installed the aftermarket fan from xigmatek for pull and used another cooler master fan for case exhaust. The xigmatek and stock evo fan are very similar with 1400-1500rpms and around 60-62cfm air pressure and I used them at full speed at all times.
    Well I also dropped the voltage for the cpu and qpi links maybe those helped too :) but in any case. thank you.
Ask a new question

Read More

hyper-212-evo push-pull high-temperature airflow direction Evo Components