Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is my computer gaming worthy?

Last response: in Components
Share
March 18, 2013 9:49:32 AM

Hello. I have finalised my order for my computer build. I would like to know if it is a good gaming computer.
Link to parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/miamo/saved/#savedbuild_30...

More about : computer gaming worthy

March 18, 2013 9:56:22 AM

Yeah its good enough for some games. Are you telling us that you specced this machine out and you didn't know if it would be good for gaming? Because 1/3 if the price is graphics cards for gaming...
m
0
l
March 18, 2013 9:58:27 AM

festerovic said:
Yeah its good enough for some games. Are you telling us that you specced this machine out and you didn't know if it would be good for gaming? Because 1/3 if the price is graphics cards for gaming...


I know it is a gaming computer but this is my first time building and I wanted to be sure. You said some games can run on this PC, which games would not?
m
0
l
Related resources
March 18, 2013 9:59:32 AM

looks good, save money on the motherboard and get asrock z77 chipset one...you will be paying for extra features you won't be using...sabertooth has "thermal armor" which basically protects your circuit board from shortening when using liquid nitrogen cooling...you won't be using that
m
0
l
March 18, 2013 10:03:44 AM

alvine said:
looks good, save money on the motherboard and get asrock z77 chipset one...you will be paying for extra features you won't be using...sabertooth has "thermal armor" which basically protects your circuit board from shortening when using liquid nitrogen cooling...you won't be using that


Which model of Asrock do you recommend? I am running SLI GPU so it should support that.
m
0
l
March 18, 2013 10:05:07 AM

SLI 660's and a quad core i7 will play ANY game out right now at a playable framerate. In fact you will have to spend 500+ bucks on some huge monitors to even start to make that thing work.
My only suggestion is get a better PSU, Coolermaster is a great case and cooler maker, their power supplys are ify.

Well also I agree about the Asus being overpriced...
m
0
l

Best solution

March 18, 2013 10:06:02 AM

all z77 support either sli or crossfire
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Share
March 18, 2013 10:14:02 AM

yeah sweet ram deal im a little mad over that
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 18, 2013 10:14:27 AM

I'd got a single GPU instead of SLI cards, and the i7 is overkill for gaming. You could do a better system.
m
0
l
March 18, 2013 10:14:27 AM

Actually, not all Z77's support SLI, which is what you'll need for the 660 ti's you selected. And while the Extreme 4 will certainly do the job, and overclock nicely as well, you should probably be aware that Asrock makes budget motherboards. Personally, I'd go with any Asus at the V-LE Plus (150.00) level or higher.
m
0
l
March 18, 2013 10:20:28 AM

Tukk said:
Actually, not all Z77's support SLI, which is what you'll need for the 660 ti's you selected. And while the Extreme 4 will certainly do the job, and overclock nicely as well, you should probably be aware that Asrock makes budget motherboards. Personally, I'd go with any Asus at the V-LE Plus (150.00) level or higher.


whats wrong with a good price? I owned mobos from both asus and asrock and they are both good
m
0
l
March 18, 2013 10:30:24 AM

Nothing at all wrong with a good price, and I know the Extreme 4 is a VERY popular choice for Z77 builds. But, as I'm sure you know, mainboard choice involves a bit of personal preference, and I prefer Asus to Asrock. The boards themselves seem less flimsy, and I like the BIOS and utilities that come with the Asus better than those that come with the Asrock. For me, the extra $15 for the V-LE Plus over the Extreme 4 is money well spent. Now, if they knock the Extreme 4 back down under $120 (like it was a while back), that might change my mind.
m
0
l
March 18, 2013 10:32:15 AM

Tukk said:
Actually, not all Z77's support SLI, which is what you'll need for the 660 ti's you selected. And while the Extreme 4 will certainly do the job, and overclock nicely as well, you should probably be aware that Asrock makes budget motherboards. Personally, I'd go with any Asus at the V-LE Plus (150.00) level or higher.


This was once the case with Asrock, but I would consider them top tier with the rest of the quality board makers now. Brand is extremely unimportant these days when it comes to motherboards. Even budget brands like ECS make better boards than the once did...

OP, you did a fine job on your first build, other than for the components mentioned (overpriced CPU and mobo) Someone mentioned do a single GPU, but the cards you picked are great bang for the buck. Asus makes very quality cards, I've owned a few gens of them now, they have been great to me.


m
0
l
!