Quad E8300 vs i5 3350 - which to chose for gamer son?

CPU Core2 Quad E8300 2.5 Ghz, Gigabyte Motherboard ga-g41 ddr3, vs. Intel Core i5 3350P, Gigabyte motherboard H61M-S2PV - for my gamer son - which is better? Have the Ati Radeon ASUS HD7770 v2 (1GB, DDR5, 128BIT) in both and Ram Corsair 8gb 1333. Trying to decide and just can't - the i5 is a little more expensive but is it worth the extra money?
13 answers Last reply
More about quad e8300 3350 chose gamer son
  1. i would go with the i5 it is well worth the extra cost and offers better performance than the core2quad e8300 the i5 however does not have a integrated GPU however that should not be a problem as you have HD 7770 just making sure you are aware of it
  2. Kathy64 said:
    CPU Core2 Quad E8300 2.5 Ghz, Gigabyte Motherboard ga-g41 ddr3, vs. Intel Core i5 3350P, Gigabyte motherboard H61M-S2PV - for my gamer son - which is better? Have the Ati Radeon ASUS HD7770 v2 (1GB, DDR5, 128BIT) in both and Ram Corsair 8gb 1333. Trying to decide and just can't - the i5 is a little more expensive but is it worth the extra money?


    I'd go for newer components. It'll be a lot easier going DDR3 and with advancements in technology it has pushed prices are down and parts/components are of better quality and craftsmanship.

    There are architectural advancements between the C2Q vs the I5 as well. Also considering the manufacturing process, the I5 can draw less power and provide more performance vs the C2Q.

    That I5 will last you; the C2Q is at the end of it's line.

    HTH
  3. I vote for the i5.
  4. the i5 is miles past the c2q
  5. I do not mean this in any bad way. ARE YOU CRAZY???

    E8400 is ANCIENT these days. The I5 is more than a 30% improvement in CPU intensive games like Skyrim.


    GET THE I5, please!!!
  6. http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu/Intel+Core+i5-3350P/review

    The i5-3350p is quite nice. I can't find a benchmark to compare to the AMD CPU you mention. I haven't the slightest hesitation in recommending the i5.
  7. He will be a lot happier with the I5 3350P. Believe that is the point.
  8. photonboy said:
    http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu/Intel+Core+i5-3350P/review

    The i5-3350p is quite nice. I can't find a benchmark to compare to the AMD CPU you mention. I haven't the slightest hesitation in recommending the i5.


    AMD CPU? :heink:
  9. I5, hands down. The Core 2 is long gone and dead.
  10. I5 by a long shot. I installed an I5 Ivy bridge 3330 3.0GHz today and it beats my QX6850 core 2 quad 3.0GHz by a long shot in gaming. Core 2 quad was holding my 670 back, but now it's running way faster. So yea, an I series intel chip is faster clock for clock.

    Example: Crysis 1 and 2 (the only games I have at the moment) were getting 20-40 fps. Now it's getting well over 60 and topping out at over 90 with everything up high. Both cpus were using my GTX670. Yes CPU does make a big difference in gaming.
  11. E8300 performs like newer $50 Celeron chips. It was a great processor 4 years ago, but progress marches on.

    is e8300 and i5 your only options? IF you are looking to save money there are some happy mediums like a AMD FX-6300 and i3-3220 (both $130-ish) that are new and perform great in games.
  12. Thank you all for the help...I was going towards the i5 too but I had read on some forum that performance wise I could be ok with the 8300. As usual this site always clears up any issues I have!! :)
  13. Kathy64 said:
    Thank you all for the help...I was going towards the i5 too but I had read on some forum that performance wise I could be ok with the 8300. As usual this site always clears up any issues I have!! :)


    Glad to help!
Ask a new question

Read More

Core Intel Intel i5 CPUs Gigabyte Motherboards Quad