£300 Home-build to run MAC OS X - Looking for advice on parts

cainy393

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
I am planning on building a hackintosh from scratch. I do not have any experience building computers and I was hoping someone could confirm my parts are compatible and that I have chosen well. If not any pointers would be much appreciated.
I know its not the best place but I plan on buying all of my parts through amazon although I'm open to other suggestions so long as they're in budget.
Here are my components:
500GB SATA 3 3.5" Hard Drive
Gigabyte H61n-usb3-b3 Motherboard
Intel i3 2105 Processor
Corsair 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333MH/z RAM
Mini ITX case /w 300W PSU

First off, I'm aware that I have a SATA 3 hard drive and my motherboard is only capable of SATA 2 but it still actually worked out cheaper than any other combinations that I could find.

Budget Range: £250-£300 After Shipping+Tax (I know its low but it's all I can devote right now.)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Programming, Streaming movies, Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No
(I plan on using my TV or an old monitor if I can find one.)

Do you need to buy OS: No I have a copy of OS X to use

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon (open to suggestions)

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Gigabyte Motherboard (Still happy with other brands, these are just preferred.)

Overclocking: Maybe - I can't really see any reason to though and I don't want to have to buy extra fans/heat sinks

Your Monitor Resolution: 720p (This is my TV resolution)

Additional Comments: Needs to run MAC OS X as I plan on writing iPhone apps (need xCode), being able to play Minecraft at decent specs would be nice, would like it to be as compact as possible

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Need xCode for app-writing and hopefully better performance on Minecraft than my current laptop.

festerovic

Distinguished
There are major haters on this board regarding Mac OS and apple in general, so I wouldn't expect a lot of responses. But, have you seen this website: http://www.hackintosh.com/
I will guess that you did, I believe gigabyte is one of the brands that is more compatible for this project. I have a sibling who did the same project a few years ago, I remember the only board that worked at the time was a gigabyte x48 or maybe x58 board.

I am not knowledgeable at all on this, so I will stop right now, but I though I would point you at hackintosh.com if you hadn't seen it yet.

Your best bet would be to go to http://www.tonymacx86.com/ there you can check your parts and make sure you are getting parts that will work correctly. Also you will need to be running a real Mac or setup a VM with OSX in order to correctly setup a USB key to even install it. It is not the most easy thing to do and if you have never even built a custom rig before I am not sure diving head long into a Hackintosh build is the way to start off.