Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Hard disc notebook Toshiba Tecra R 850-140 full up but I unloaded

Last response: in Memory
Share
March 19, 2013 6:38:21 AM

Hello
I got the message that mu notebooks HD was full ..so I have showeled all my music videos and picture over to an external HD.
Only to find it still says it is full up.
I did a defrag ..and a disc clean of the supposedly empty space ..hoping it would really free up what is putting the brakes on ..but to no avail..restarting did not help either .
I read about system restore files which could be the devil in the computer pile ..but I cannot find them to erase them ..
If indeed that is the problem..can anybody help please ..I have not much space left to operate this beast.. ;-(
thank you
T
a b } Memory
March 19, 2013 7:09:07 AM

When you moved the files over to the external HD, did you go back and delete the original files from your laptop?
m
0
l
March 19, 2013 7:19:47 AM

It sounds like you Copied the files to the external hard drive so they still exist on the internal HD. Verify that all of the files copied correctly (open them or check file sizes) and then delete them from the internal HD.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 19, 2013 7:33:20 AM

itzdanielp said:
When you moved the files over to the external HD, did you go back and delete the original files from your laptop?

I deleted everything on the internal hd ;-(
m
0
l
March 19, 2013 7:34:29 AM

DeadRam said:
It sounds like you Copied the files to the external hard drive so they still exist on the internal HD. Verify that all of the files copied correctly (open them or check file sizes) and then delete them from the internal HD.


they have cpoied ok ..and I have not got them on the internal hd ..I cannot play them any more nor search for them.
;-(
m
0
l
March 19, 2013 12:53:29 PM

itzdanielp said:
When you moved the files over to the external HD, did you go back and delete the original files from your laptop?

I have been digging around but I cannot find where all these data can come from..there is nothing that big left on my computer ..very few documents ..most big things were my photos and music files which i have taken off ..I am getting constant messages telling me about the 125 mb i got left.... ;-((((
m
0
l
a b } Memory
March 19, 2013 1:16:05 PM

Have you emptied your recycle bin?
m
0
l
March 19, 2013 1:17:59 PM

itzdanielp said:
Have you emptied your recycle bin?


yes I did that too and I used CCleaner for it ...I am still throwing away documents and stuff ..but it does not help a great deal...thank you for helping me..just no idea what it can be ..
m
0
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
March 19, 2013 1:28:45 PM

One way to kind of narrow things down is open My Computer and click on the C: drive.

Then 1 by one, right click on the folders (except for Windows) and click properties, and check the file sizes. Then go down the line until you find the large folder. Then do the same to each folder inside of there.

Also, have you cleared out your system restore files?
Share
March 19, 2013 2:00:03 PM

itzdanielp said:
One way to kind of narrow things down is open My Computer and click on the C: drive.

Then 1 by one, right click on the folders (except for Windows) and click properties, and check the file sizes. Then go down the line until you find the large folder. Then do the same to each folder inside of there.

Also, have you cleared out your system restore files?

....ok ..i will try that first before going crazy...thank you..i come back to that when i have finished if i may..

just looked at those folders ..
intel 206 bytes
program files 1,16GB
program Files(x86) 1,12 GB <= I don't understand x86??
program Data 5,38 GB
Toshiba 195 MB
Users 3,68 GB
Windows
the rest in those folders are called eula or install.res.1028.txt or dll files..

there is nothing about system restore..strangely there are no restore points..so there is nothing to delete..

;-( so nothing obvious there ..unles the 86x??But that is not that much either..
Thank u for all ur help so far ..very much appreciated!
I have not got a clue what else I can try..do you think I should look for professional help in a shop or else??


m
0
l
March 20, 2013 6:43:37 AM

I found the problem in google earth app...it had downloaded the entire earth..well at least 235 GB of it...
thank u for your help
T
m
0
l
a b } Memory
March 20, 2013 7:13:01 AM

Good! I'm glad you got it all sorted out!

In regards to the Program Files (x86) folder:

In a 32 bit system, you only have Program Files, but on a 64-bit system you get the 2 folders you see here. 64 bit apps are put into "Program Files" and 32 bit apps are put into the "Program files (x86)" folder.
m
0
l
!