Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

FX 8120 increase single threaded performance

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 19, 2013 10:24:14 AM

I recently ran a benchmark of my cpu using passmark performance test 8.0. The test results were fine according to the FX performance but the single threaded performance was very low around 800. It was even less than the core 2 duo E8400 with a score of 1308. Such low performance is noticeable in light threaded applications. So is there any way to increase my single threaded performance?

PC specs:
AMD FX-8120
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-78LMT-S2P (Socket M2)
1024MB GeForce 210 (XFX Pine Group)
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Cooler Master extreme power plus 550W
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2013 10:35:23 AM

You should be getting around 1,411. One thing I would suggest is to use faster memory. You're set at 667MHz (1,333MHz). Try 800MHz (1,600MHz) or higher.

I would also disable all "C States" (ex> C1E and AMD Cool and Quiet) in the BIOS.

Re-run the test.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2013 10:36:03 AM

Get a cpu cooler & OverClock it.
-Bruce
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 169 à CPUs
March 19, 2013 11:04:17 AM

Uzair007 said:
I recently ran a benchmark of my cpu using passmark performance test 8.0. The test results were fine according to the FX performance but the single threaded performance was very low around 800. It was even less than the core 2 duo E8400 with a score of 1308. Such low performance is noticeable in light threaded applications. So is there any way to increase my single threaded performance?

PC specs:
AMD FX-8120
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-78LMT-S2P (Socket M2)
1024MB GeForce 210 (XFX Pine Group)
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Cooler Master extreme power plus 550W


The single threaded performance of AMD FX CPUs is known to be abysmal. There's no way around this aside from getting an Intel CPU.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2013 11:22:23 AM

Pinhedd said:
Uzair007 said:
I recently ran a benchmark of my cpu using passmark performance test 8.0. The test results were fine according to the FX performance but the single threaded performance was very low around 800. It was even less than the core 2 duo E8400 with a score of 1308. Such low performance is noticeable in light threaded applications. So is there any way to increase my single threaded performance?

PC specs:
AMD FX-8120
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-78LMT-S2P (Socket M2)
1024MB GeForce 210 (XFX Pine Group)
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Cooler Master extreme power plus 550W


The single threaded performance of AMD FX CPUs is known to be abysmal. There's no way around this aside from getting an Intel CPU.


:pfff: 
What a rubbish statement,

Your problem my friend is your motherboard which is strangling your FX performance because of its power constraints you need a 900 series board to give that FX the juice it needs, im not even sure if that board you have actually officially supports the FX 8 core CPUs.
m
0
l
a c 210 à CPUs
March 19, 2013 11:35:13 AM

Uther39 said:
Pinhedd said:
Uzair007 said:
I recently ran a benchmark of my cpu using passmark performance test 8.0. The test results were fine according to the FX performance but the single threaded performance was very low around 800. It was even less than the core 2 duo E8400 with a score of 1308. Such low performance is noticeable in light threaded applications. So is there any way to increase my single threaded performance?

PC specs:
AMD FX-8120
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-78LMT-S2P (Socket M2)
1024MB GeForce 210 (XFX Pine Group)
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Cooler Master extreme power plus 550W


The single threaded performance of AMD FX CPUs is known to be abysmal. There's no way around this aside from getting an Intel CPU.


:pfff: 
What a rubbish statement,

Your problem my friend is your motherboard which is strangling your FX performance because of its power constraints you need a 900 series board to give that FX the juice it needs, im not even sure if that board you have actually officially supports the FX 8 core CPUs.


This, you need a 970+ series board, and taking a look at your RAM wouldn't be bad either...both of those are sound advice.
m
0
l
a c 169 à CPUs
March 19, 2013 12:54:45 PM

Uther39 said:
Pinhedd said:
Uzair007 said:
I recently ran a benchmark of my cpu using passmark performance test 8.0. The test results were fine according to the FX performance but the single threaded performance was very low around 800. It was even less than the core 2 duo E8400 with a score of 1308. Such low performance is noticeable in light threaded applications. So is there any way to increase my single threaded performance?

PC specs:
AMD FX-8120
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-78LMT-S2P (Socket M2)
1024MB GeForce 210 (XFX Pine Group)
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Cooler Master extreme power plus 550W


The single threaded performance of AMD FX CPUs is known to be abysmal. There's no way around this aside from getting an Intel CPU.


:pfff: 
What a rubbish statement,

Your problem my friend is your motherboard which is strangling your FX performance because of its power constraints you need a 900 series board to give that FX the juice it needs, im not even sure if that board you have actually officially supports the FX 8 core CPUs.


There's nothing rubbish about it. The poor power efficiency and poor single threaded performance of AMD's FX series CPUs is well known and backed up by every major benchmark. It should be higher than 800, but it will not be anywhere near that of a modern Intel CPU.
m
0
l
March 19, 2013 4:03:43 PM

Uzair007 said:
I recently ran a benchmark of my cpu using passmark performance test 8.0. The test results were fine according to the FX performance but the single threaded performance was very low around 800. It was even less than the core 2 duo E8400 with a score of 1308. Such low performance is noticeable in light threaded applications. So is there any way to increase my single threaded performance?

PC specs:
AMD FX-8120
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-78LMT-S2P (Socket M2)
1024MB GeForce 210 (XFX Pine Group)
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Cooler Master extreme power plus 550W


Gigabyte's website indicates that your CPU is definitely supported by your motherboard since BIOS revision F5a. They do, however, list it as a 95W CPU. Newegg specifies the TDP of the FX-8120 to be 125W, and your motherboard does show other CPUs at a 125W TDP being compatible. It is possible that it is just a misprint. I can't see how a different chipset motherboard would have such a drastic affect on the performance of a CPU that is currently supported by the older motherboard.

Elmoisevil sounds like he might be on the right track, so I would definitely give some faster RAM a try after verifying that you have the most current BIOS update installed. If you don't have the money for new RAM then you could try overclocking your processor, but anything beyond that is going to involve spending more than $40.
m
0
l
March 19, 2013 7:22:34 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
You should be getting around 1,411. One thing I would suggest is to use faster memory. You're set at 667MHz (1,333MHz). Try 800MHz (1,600MHz) or higher.

I would also disable all "C States" (ex> C1E and AMD Cool and Quiet) in the BIOS.

Re-run the test.

Disabled the "C States" and improved the score to 983. Any other way to further increase it?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2013 7:40:11 PM

Run cpu-z and make sure the clock speed is steady. That board will slow the cpu down if its trying to draw more than the vrm is capable.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2013 9:39:18 AM

Uzair007 said:
ElMoIsEviL said:
You should be getting around 1,411. One thing I would suggest is to use faster memory. You're set at 667MHz (1,333MHz). Try 800MHz (1,600MHz) or higher.

I would also disable all "C States" (ex> C1E and AMD Cool and Quiet) in the BIOS.

Re-run the test.

Disabled the "C States" and improved the score to 983. Any other way to further increase it?

What speed is your RAM rated for? Look on your RAM (memory).
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2013 11:42:54 PM

FX just has seriously bad single threaded performance. Every testing method ever used has proven w/o a doubt its IPC is worse than even a Phenom 2 which was worse than C2Q. Faster memory will help slightly but the only remedy is to overclock.
m
0
l
a c 210 à CPUs
April 16, 2013 10:00:23 AM

bigj1985 said:
FX just has seriously bad single threaded performance. Every testing method ever used has proven w/o a doubt its IPC is worse than even a Phenom 2 which was worse than C2Q. Faster memory will help slightly but the only remedy is to overclock.


It's just less than intel. I suppose, by your same criteria, the statement intel is "seriously bad" at multitasking and highly parallel apps is true then also?? Seeing as AMD steadily wins in those arenas by the same or higher margin...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2013 10:33:19 AM

Improving your Passmark score won't improve the performance of your PC.

If you really want to you can disable the 2nd core of each module and gain a little IPC.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2013 3:34:24 AM

8350rocks said:
bigj1985 said:
FX just has seriously bad single threaded performance. Every testing method ever used has proven w/o a doubt its IPC is worse than even a Phenom 2 which was worse than C2Q. Faster memory will help slightly but the only remedy is to overclock.


It's just less than intel. I suppose, by your same criteria, the statement intel is "seriously bad" at multitasking and highly parallel apps is true then also?? Seeing as AMD steadily wins in those arenas by the same or higher margin...


No. Because any 2nd or 3rd gen i7 matches/beats FX even when multitasking. Now if you're comparing using around the same price ranges then ya I agree

m
0
l
April 17, 2013 5:56:04 AM

Cazalan said:
Improving your Passmark score won't improve the performance of your PC.

If you really want to you can disable the 2nd core of each module and gain a little IPC.

How to do that?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2013 12:14:21 PM

Uzair007 said:
Cazalan said:
Improving your Passmark score won't improve the performance of your PC.

If you really want to you can disable the 2nd core of each module and gain a little IPC.

How to do that?


It would have to be done in the BIOS if it's supported. Not all do.
m
0
l
!