Solved

A8 build died, please help.

Dear Tom's Hardware community:

1st time on forums, so please don't be restricted to give constructive comments.

My build (which i regret buying) died two (?) months ago.

AMD A8-3870K (I overclocked the graphics to 800m, but other settings are unchanged)
Asus F1A75-V Pro
Patriot 8 gigs (2x4gb) ddr3-1866 @ 1.65V (is this why it died?)
Antec VP-450
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB (okay I don't do much)
Other stuff is generic.

I was watching a video on it when all of a sudden the screen entered standby (like when i'm idling for a few mins) and there was no way to get the signal back. The power button doesn't respond either. Then we turned it off by unplugging the cord. Afterwards when we boot, the screen would turn on for a few seconds then return to what happend above. Sometimes it the display wouldn't turn on, fan just kept spinning and no POST beep was heard :(. Got the mobo sent back from Asus which only made it worse.... (sometimes it worked for 15 mins and all of a sudden die again for a few days, this one lasted 5 minutes ONLY)
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build died
  1. is your graphics card still operating maybe it's messed from over heating and it might not run your display try removing the graphics card and than booting it.
  2. thermal stresses can cause your PSU connectorss, ram and other slotted components (ie graphics cards, nic, sata add in cards) to slowly crawel out of the slot breaking the circuit. reset all you memory, boards and PSU connections then reboot. if that fails reset you bios to defualt. And if that doesn't fix it you likely have something more major going on.
  3. goalpwns said:
    is your graphics card still operating maybe it's messed from over heating and it might not run your display try removing the graphics card and than booting it.


    He is using an A8 which is an APU and he can't simply remove the graphics card. This is more likely a psu that is having problems.
  4. atomicWAR said:
    thermal stresses can cause your PSU connectorss, ram and other slotted components (ie graphics cards, nic, sata add in cards) to slowly crawel out of the slot breaking the circuit. reset all you memory, boards and PSU connections then reboot. if that fails reset you bios to defualt. And if that doesn't fix it you likely have something more major going on.


    Tried that a million times... if it worked i wouldn't have posted this.
  5. tourist said:
    51uka said:
    Dear Tom's Hardware community:

    1st time on forums, so please don't be restricted to give constructive comments.

    My build (which i regret buying) died two (?) months ago.

    AMD A8-3870K (I overclocked the graphics to 800m, but other settings are unchanged)
    Asus F1A75-V Pro
    Patriot 8 gigs (2x4gb) ddr3-1866 @ 1.65V (is this why it died?)
    Antec VP-450
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB (okay I don't do much)
    Other stuff is generic.

    I was watching a video on it when all of a sudden the screen entered standby (like when i'm idling for a few mins) and there was no way to get the signal back. The power button doesn't respond either. Then we turned it off by unplugging the cord. Afterwards when we boot, the screen would turn on for a few seconds then return to what happend above. Sometimes it the display wouldn't turn on, fan just kept spinning and no POST beep was heard :(. Got the mobo sent back from Asus which only made it worse.... (sometimes it worked for 15 mins and all of a sudden die again for a few days, this one lasted 5 minutes ONLY)


    I am sorry to say i have returned two APU's back to amd for new ones. Both because the graphics refused to boot, and this was with no overclocking. AMD Just replaced it both times., Call AMD and RMA the apu


    I guess that works, my dads amd died a few years ago too so it probably the apu. sigh, if amd wanna compete with intel, at least make sure its stuff works.
  6. might have screwed yourself with the over clock. not all processors will respond well to it.

    the stock heat sinks on those aren't the best and if you didn't replace with a viable one you could have overheated.
  7. swifty_morgan said:
    might have screwed yourself with the over clock. not all processors will respond well to it.

    the stock heat sinks on those aren't the best and if you didn't replace with a viable one you could have overheated.

    when i tested it later on after it broke it was all stock settings even with the new motherboard and it was able to work for a while (max. 30min) so it might not be the oc. plus its a black edition so....
  8. almost still sounds like heat or that heat destroyed it.
  9. yeah i think you cooked it's critter real good!
  10. sounds like you have power issues. try another power supply.
  11. Best answer
    51uka said:
    tourist said:
    51uka said:
    Dear Tom's Hardware community:

    1st time on forums, so please don't be restricted to give constructive comments.

    My build (which i regret buying) died two (?) months ago.

    AMD A8-3870K (I overclocked the graphics to 800m, but other settings are unchanged)
    Asus F1A75-V Pro
    Patriot 8 gigs (2x4gb) ddr3-1866 @ 1.65V (is this why it died?)
    Antec VP-450
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB (okay I don't do much)
    Other stuff is generic.

    I was watching a video on it when all of a sudden the screen entered standby (like when i'm idling for a few mins) and there was no way to get the signal back. The power button doesn't respond either. Then we turned it off by unplugging the cord. Afterwards when we boot, the screen would turn on for a few seconds then return to what happend above. Sometimes it the display wouldn't turn on, fan just kept spinning and no POST beep was heard :(. Got the mobo sent back from Asus which only made it worse.... (sometimes it worked for 15 mins and all of a sudden die again for a few days, this one lasted 5 minutes ONLY)


    I am sorry to say i have returned two APU's back to amd for new ones. Both because the graphics refused to boot, and this was with no overclocking. AMD Just replaced it both times., Call AMD and RMA the apu


    I guess that works, my dads amd died a few years ago too so it probably the apu. sigh, if amd wanna compete with intel, at least make sure its stuff works.



    This first time it was a pita to figure it out but i had another llano rig to swap parts out and narrow it down to the apu.
    second time it was the first thing i checked and again same thing. The funny thing is my 3670k is running at 3.0 and 900 gpu for 6 months on a h50 with no problems. I am thinking the igfx in the apu is very sensitive to heat and any overclocking narrows that tolerance even more.
  12. @tourist:

    similar situation here. overclocked to 3.4g cpu and 800m graphics for 4 months in a row with no problems. then i decided to not overclock something as to reduce heat so i took the cpu back to stock(ironic).... but afterwards i checked the temps and it only brought it from 66C to 65-64C (completely stock was actually a tiny bit higher, 67-68) so it probably wasnt overclocking. if it was the heat well i fried it no matter what.
  13. swifty_morgan said:
    almost still sounds like heat or that heat destroyed it.


    fyi the stock temp is around 3-4 degrees C higher so i fried it no matter what then....
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus failure AMD Build apu Components