Solved

Power supply unit and GPU

I have
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
RAM:6 GB corsair
motherboard: intel DH61ww
GPU:geforce 9500gt
Cabinet: i ball brilliance (with SMPS)

so I have to ask that what is the power of my Power supply Unit
Also i want to buy a graphics card within 147$ to 300$ and will my desktop support it to play high end games
35 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power supply unit gpu
  1. get a good 550w, that should be good enough for most setup
  2. Out of the PSUs that are listed, the XFX and Seasonic would be good choices.

    Video cards, the 7850 and GTX 660 are both good cards. If you have no issue getting right to your max spending check out the 7870 XT.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202024
  3. the amd 7870 is good but is it better than nvidia gtx 660 .
    Can i play games in high with these ??
  4. 7870 is better than the 660. It is on level with the 660ti.

    The 7870 XT beats both those cards.
  5. For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector. MSI GeForce GTX 660 HAWK 2 GB requires two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the critical factor.
  6. rutwik said:
    the amd 7870 is good but is it better than nvidia gtx 660 .
    Can i play games in high with these ??
    The 7870 is a little faster then a 660 :)
  7. Please can u tell me why so ?? Just curious to know
    so i should use Seasonic ECO 600 600 Watts PSU with this??
  8. ko888 said:
    For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector. MSI GeForce GTX 660 HAWK 2 GB requires two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the critical factor.


    wow u relly improved my knowledge thnks :) and i should use http://www.flipkart.com/psus/compare?ids=PSUDDQPPKBFD8FGV,PSUD5XZ4GCGRASAY thsi psu with this ??
  9. rutwik said:
    Please can u tell me why so ?? Just curious to know
    so i should use Seasonic ECO 600 600 Watts PSU with this??
    The SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition OC, factory-overclocked to 1050 MHz engine and effective 5000 MHz memory, offers superior performance than standard models. It is equipped with SAPPHIRE’s new dual-extractor technology - Dual-X - a highly efficient multi-heatpipe cooler with dual fans providing quiet and very cool operation during normal operating conditions, and superb cooling performance even under extreme load.

    Its usually always better to choose a non-reference design as they are better for overclocking as they have custom coolers and PCB's.And i've never heard of that power supply let ko888 answer that question as i don't know.
  10. For a system using a single AMD reference design Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    The Seasonic ECO-600 (SS-600BT), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 46 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition graphics card.

    The Seasonic ECO Series are only sold in some parts of the world that use a 220V power grid.
  11. ko888 said:
    For a system using a single AMD reference design Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    The Seasonic ECO-600 (SS-600BT), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 46 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition graphics card.

    The Seasonic ECO Series are only sold in some parts of the world that use a 220V power grid.

    http://www.flipkart.com/seasonic-s12ii-620-watts-psu/p/itmd5xz46hjzzrax?pid=PSUD5XZ4GCGRASAY&ref=8bf26cba-be25-4766-a78e-1f8a896186f0 is this what i should go for OR the last oone i posted
    Please state ur choices too .
  12. rutwik said:
    ko888 said:
    For a system using a single AMD reference design Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    The Seasonic ECO-600 (SS-600BT), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 46 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition graphics card.

    The Seasonic ECO Series are only sold in some parts of the world that use a 220V power grid.

    http://www.flipkart.com/seasonic-s12ii-620-watts-psu/p/itmd5xz46hjzzrax?pid=PSUD5XZ4GCGRASAY&ref=8bf26cba-be25-4766-a78e-1f8a896186f0 is this what i should go for OR the last oone i posted
    Please state ur choices too .


    The Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze uses higher quality components in its manufacturing. Choose this one if its higher price is still within your budget because it is the best one out of the two you've listed.
  13. ko888 said:
    rutwik said:
    ko888 said:
    For a system using a single AMD reference design Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    The Seasonic ECO-600 (SS-600BT), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 46 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition graphics card.

    The Seasonic ECO Series are only sold in some parts of the world that use a 220V power grid.

    http://www.flipkart.com/seasonic-s12ii-620-watts-psu/p/itmd5xz46hjzzrax?pid=PSUD5XZ4GCGRASAY&ref=8bf26cba-be25-4766-a78e-1f8a896186f0 is this what i should go for OR the last oone i posted
    Please state ur choices too .


    The Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze uses higher quality components in its manufacturing. Choose this one if its higher price is still within your budget because it is the best one out of the two you've listed.

    but it says amd processor support will it work on intel processor??
  14. Best answer
    rutwik said:
    ko888 said:
    rutwik said:
    ko888 said:
    For a system using a single AMD reference design Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    The Seasonic ECO-600 (SS-600BT), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 46 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition graphics card.

    The Seasonic ECO Series are only sold in some parts of the world that use a 220V power grid.

    http://www.flipkart.com/seasonic-s12ii-620-watts-psu/p/itmd5xz46hjzzrax?pid=PSUD5XZ4GCGRASAY&ref=8bf26cba-be25-4766-a78e-1f8a896186f0 is this what i should go for OR the last oone i posted
    Please state ur choices too .


    The Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze uses higher quality components in its manufacturing. Choose this one if its higher price is still within your budget because it is the best one out of the two you've listed.

    but it says amd processor support will it work on intel processor??



    A power supply neither knows nor cares what CPU or GPU brand and model you choose to use. Its only purpose is to supply DC electrical power to your system.
  15. bigcyco1 said:
    rutwik said:
    Please can u tell me why so ?? Just curious to know
    so i should use Seasonic ECO 600 600 Watts PSU with this??
    The SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition OC, factory-overclocked to 1050 MHz engine and effective 5000 MHz memory, offers superior performance than standard models. It is equipped with SAPPHIRE’s new dual-extractor technology - Dual-X - a highly efficient multi-heatpipe cooler with dual fans providing quiet and very cool operation during normal operating conditions, and superb cooling performance even under extreme load.

    Its usually always better to choose a non-reference design as they are better for overclocking as they have custom coolers and PCB's.And i've never heard of that power supply let ko888 answer that question as i don't know.




    thanks man for ur help ?? i reallty appreciate it
  16. ko888 said:
    rutwik said:
    ko888 said:
    rutwik said:
    ko888 said:
    For a system using a single AMD reference design Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    The Seasonic ECO-600 (SS-600BT), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 46 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition graphics card.

    The Seasonic ECO Series are only sold in some parts of the world that use a 220V power grid.

    http://www.flipkart.com/seasonic-s12ii-620-watts-psu/p/itmd5xz46hjzzrax?pid=PSUD5XZ4GCGRASAY&ref=8bf26cba-be25-4766-a78e-1f8a896186f0 is this what i should go for OR the last oone i posted
    Please state ur choices too .


    The Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze uses higher quality components in its manufacturing. Choose this one if its higher price is still within your budget because it is the best one out of the two you've listed.

    but it says amd processor support will it work on intel processor??



    A power supply neither knows nor cares what CPU or GPU brand and model you choose to use. Its only purpose is to supply DC electrical power to your system.


    Thanks man i really appreciate ur help.
  17. rutwik said:
    bigcyco1 said:
    rutwik said:
    Please can u tell me why so ?? Just curious to know
    so i should use Seasonic ECO 600 600 Watts PSU with this??
    The SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition OC, factory-overclocked to 1050 MHz engine and effective 5000 MHz memory, offers superior performance than standard models. It is equipped with SAPPHIRE’s new dual-extractor technology - Dual-X - a highly efficient multi-heatpipe cooler with dual fans providing quiet and very cool operation during normal operating conditions, and superb cooling performance even under extreme load.

    Its usually always better to choose a non-reference design as they are better for overclocking as they have custom coolers and PCB's.And i've never heard of that power supply let ko888 answer that question as i don't know.




    thanks man for ur help ?? i reallty appreciate it
    No problem your welcome.
  18. bigcyco1 said:
    rutwik said:
    bigcyco1 said:
    rutwik said:
    Please can u tell me why so ?? Just curious to know
    so i should use Seasonic ECO 600 600 Watts PSU with this??
    The SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition OC, factory-overclocked to 1050 MHz engine and effective 5000 MHz memory, offers superior performance than standard models. It is equipped with SAPPHIRE’s new dual-extractor technology - Dual-X - a highly efficient multi-heatpipe cooler with dual fans providing quiet and very cool operation during normal operating conditions, and superb cooling performance even under extreme load.

    Its usually always better to choose a non-reference design as they are better for overclocking as they have custom coolers and PCB's.And i've never heard of that power supply let ko888 answer that question as i don't know.




    thanks man for ur help ?? i reallty appreciate it
    No problem your welcome.



    Should i buy a new fan i have one in rear for exhaust and one in PSU??

    Please suggest some fans too ??

    My cabinet is i ball brilliance and its present in a computer table with both sides closed. So what should i do ??
    I have brought the recommended graphics card and PSU in this thread.
  19. Which case is it do you have a link?I need to see what kind of options for adding fans you might have thanks.
  20. How many fans does it have?Do you really need to add more cooling?
  21. It has one exhaust fan at rear and PSU fan and nothing more.
    Yes the psu gets hot and also my computer is always used for downloading games and playing, so it is literally never turned off.
  22. I cannot find any info on your case so i have no idea what sort of fan options it has sorry.
  23. The image has to be uploaded to the internet before it can be inserted into the post.

    http://imageshack.us/ - use their forum code option!

    http://photobucket.com/ - use their forum code option!

    http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/8263/ss523.jpg
  24. http://imageshack.us/a/img822/6908/dscn6357i.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img849/7738/dscn6356u.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img21/9821/dscn6355y.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img43/1285/dscn6354k.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img46/9927/dscn6353m.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/scaled/large/706/dscn63612.jpg

    these r the images i uploaded .
    These r the features
    Features:
    Brilliantly crafted design with Piano shiny finish
    Front mounted HD Audio, eSATA and 4 USB ports
    5.25 Inch Bays: 3 External bays
    3.5 Inch Bays: 5 Internal bays
    1.44MB Floppy Drive Bay: 1 External bay
    Motherboard Form Factors: Standard ATX and Micro-ATX motherboards
    Front USB Ports: 4 Front USB Ports
    Front eSATA Port: 1 eSATA Port
    Front Audio Ports: HD Audio & AC'97 Audio + MIC
    Bundled Cooling Fans: Bundled with 1 x 8cm cooling fan
    Extra Cooling Fan Provision: Provision for 1 x 8cm and 1 x 8/9/12cm extra cooling fans
    Heat Vent: Heat-vent chimney technology for better air flow
    Power Supply: iBall LPE/LPS 223-400 (250 W) power supply
    Available Colours: Black-Red
    Dimensions: 16.6 x 7 x 18 inches (H x W x D)
  25. So i see you can add one fan in the very back right below the other fan how about in the front of the case is there any empty fan slots ?You really need to clean all that dust out as well.
  26. So i will use a chassis fan ??Give gud options for fans too like collermaster or something else
    No dont have fan slots in front.
    THnks for ur help
  27. There a few different good fans that come to mind you can look for any of these
    1)Cougar Vortex
    2) Scythe Gentle Typhoon
    3)COOLER MASTER SickleFlow
    4) Silverstone AP-121
  28. bigcyco1 said:
    There a few different good fans that come to mind you can look for any of these
    1)Cougar Vortex
    2) Scythe Gentle Typhoon
    3)COOLER MASTER SickleFlow
    4) Silverstone AP-121



    thanks mate
  29. rutwik said:
    bigcyco1 said:
    There a few different good fans that come to mind you can look for any of these
    1)Cougar Vortex
    2) Scythe Gentle Typhoon
    3)COOLER MASTER SickleFlow
    4) Silverstone AP-121



    thanks mate



    No problem.
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel CPUs Power Supplies Intel i5 GPUs Graphics Cards Components