Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Crysis 3 question

Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 20, 2013 8:42:08 PM

At my family's second house , I have a PC with 4 gigs of RAM , GTS 450 and intel core 2 duo 2.93GHz. I was planing to buy a GTX 660ti for that PC but then would it be necessary for me to buy a new processor? Will I be able to play new games properly (I'm not expecting 60fps above on ultra or anything) with a GTX660ti and an intel core 2 duo 2.93 GHz or do I NEED to update the processor too?

More about : crysis question

March 20, 2013 8:47:08 PM

you'll be able to play it (once you have the gtx 660) though yes you'll have to turn it down to med or low setting. dual core is the minuim spec CPU
m
0
l
March 20, 2013 8:51:08 PM

atomicWAR said:
you'll be able to play it (once you have the gtx 660) though yes you'll have to turn it down to med or low setting. dual core is the minuim spec CPU


Soo If I upgrade the processor to say LGA 1155 Core i3 2120 , I'll be able to play on ultra with about 30-40 FPS ?
m
0
l
Related resources
March 20, 2013 8:54:01 PM

mmm not exactly...if you want to run on ultra with filters set high you'll need dual gpu for those numbers. i have two gtx 670's and get those kinds of numbers.though you should be able to play high settings with filters...though maybe not fully maxed or maybe ultra with no filters
m
0
l
March 20, 2013 9:01:47 PM

atomicWAR said:
mmm not exactly...if you want to run on ultra with filters set high you'll need dual gpu for those numbers. i have two gtx 670's and get those kinds of numbers.though you should be able to play high settings with filters...though maybe not fully maxed or maybe ultra with no filters



So how about this - If I only get 660ti and keep my intel core 2 duo , will I be able to play on high or medium high with 30-40 FPS ?
m
0
l
March 20, 2013 9:05:11 PM

as long as you avoid msaa and use the txaa or one of the other lower over head filtering you might get away with meduim on a dually...think any high setting might be pushing it with a dual core but i could be wrong.
m
0
l
March 20, 2013 9:14:53 PM

atomicWAR said:
as long as you avoid msaa and use the txaa or one of the other lower over head filtering you might get away with meduim on a dually...think any high setting might be pushing it with a dual core but i could be wrong.


Just got an update.
i5 plus 660ti , good enough for ultra or high-ultra or high?
m
0
l

Best solution

March 20, 2013 9:18:08 PM

with a i5 quad core with 3ghz...you should be able to play high or ultra with some filtering but by no means will u max out msaa to 8x without dual gpu on ultra.
Share
March 20, 2013 9:19:38 PM

atomicWAR said:
with a i5 quad core with 3ghz...you should be able to play high or ultra with some filtering but by no means will u max out msaa to 8x without dual gpu on ultra.


Im not looking to go as high as 8x , maybe 2x or 4x ?
m
0
l
March 20, 2013 9:21:32 PM

you might might not have the power supply to support a 660 ti it takes 500W minimum and a 450 takes 400 minimum. So keep that in mind. I thik you need to build a whole new system and consider a 7870 LE better performance per dollar :)  its about 250.
m
0
l
March 20, 2013 9:22:39 PM

2x msaa at high is likley...ultra possible but not likely...using two heavily overclocked gtx 570s i was able to do ultra at 2x and barely squeek 30 fps..w/ ocassional dip to 26. (have two rigs) but i hear the 600 series fairs a little better (though gernalling speaking one of my overclocked gtx 570 perfoms on par with a gtx 660 ti
m
0
l
March 20, 2013 9:31:35 PM

MANOFKRYPTONAK said:
you might might not have the power supply to support a 660 ti it takes 500W minimum and a 450 takes 400 minimum. So keep that in mind. I thik you need to build a whole new system and consider a 7870 LE better performance per dollar :)  its about 250.


You're right. I opened up my rig and saw that my power supply has max 484W.
SO that is also a problem. But that's it right? Power supply , processor and graphic card?
m
0
l
March 20, 2013 9:39:30 PM

and a new mother board...the board you have (since your running a core 2...is a socket 775) is not pin compatible with i3 i5 i7 cpus (socket 1155 for sandy/ivy bridge), unless you can find a 3ghz (approx) core 2 quad on the cheep on ebay or somewhere. like a q9650
m
0
l
March 21, 2013 3:15:19 AM

atomicWAR said:
and a new mother board...the board you have (since your running a core 2...is a socket 775) is not pin compatible with i3 i5 i7 cpus (socket 1155 for sandy/ivy bridge), unless you can find a 3ghz (approx) core 2 quad on the cheep on ebay or somewhere. like a q9650


Damn I'm looking at a brand new build here aren't I?
I'll just wait a few months and buy a pre-built Alienware PC
m
0
l
March 21, 2013 7:43:18 AM

Don't do that. Just build your own and get way more performance for your money.
m
0
l
March 21, 2013 3:34:08 PM

trogdor796 said:
Don't do that. Just build your own and get way more performance for your money.


+1
build your own you will get way more for your money.
m
0
l
March 21, 2013 7:00:56 PM

ok ill build my own then. Thank you for all your replies.
m
0
l
March 21, 2013 8:07:27 PM

Np man. Just post back here when you decide to if you want any help picking out parts. Building your own isn't that hard once you have the right parts selected. After that it's just like lego's. And it's pretty satisfying being able to assemble and then power on and use your first pc.
m
0
l
March 21, 2013 10:15:52 PM

trogdor796 said:
Np man. Just post back here when you decide to if you want any help picking out parts. Building your own isn't that hard once you have the right parts selected. After that it's just like lego's. And it's pretty satisfying being able to assemble and then power on and use your first pc.


I very much appreciate your help but this isn't my first PC. I have a 590 GTX , i7 and 16 gigs on the PC that I generally use. The other bells and whistles I can handle but thank you for making me aware of the power supply and motherboard :) 
m
0
l
!