Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New SATA 3 SSD runs faster on SATA 2 ports rather than SATA 3?

Last response: in Storage
Share
March 20, 2013 8:46:06 PM

Just today, I purchased a 64 GB Sandisk SSD to use as my OS drive. I do notice that my boot up speeds are faster, but when I run Crystal Disk Mark, I get higher speeds when it's connected to my SATA 2 port instead of SATA 3. On my SATA 2 port, I get ~260MB read, and ~200MB write speeds, and ~190MB read, and ~110MB write on SATA 3. I have AHCI enabled for both. Something odd though is that when I go to the boot sequence page in the bios, it shows my SSD as IDE when it's connected to my SATA 3 port. However, when it's connected to my SATA 2 port, it's shown as HDD, which I assume should be correct. Please help me, because I want to be able to get the best speed possible by utilizing SATA 3. The SSD is the Sandisk SDSSDP-064G-G25. My motherboard currently is the MSI P55A-GD55, with an Intel i5 760. I have also spent a lot of time installing a bunch of drivers for the Marvell SATA controller, but they haven't helped.

Best solution

March 20, 2013 9:18:16 PM

Well this I know for sure cause friend had same issue couple months ago on Gigabayte board. P55 chipset is not designed for SATA III. Only way of getting this to work is to put SATA 3 expansion card in one PCIx16 slot. Lot of pepole had this issue, and this is only solution that made it work and even Intel recomended it more than year ago.
Share
March 22, 2013 5:44:58 AM

Kevinity said:
Just today, I purchased a 64 GB Sandisk SSD to use as my OS drive. I do notice that my boot up speeds are faster, but when I run Crystal Disk Mark, I get higher speeds when it's connected to my SATA 2 port instead of SATA 3. On my SATA 2 port, I get ~260MB read, and ~200MB write speeds, and ~190MB read, and ~110MB write on SATA 3. I have AHCI enabled for both. Something odd though is that when I go to the boot sequence page in the bios, it shows my SSD as IDE when it's connected to my SATA 3 port. However, when it's connected to my SATA 2 port, it's shown as HDD, which I assume should be correct. Please help me, because I want to be able to get the best speed possible by utilizing SATA 3. The SSD is the Sandisk SDSSDP-064G-G25. My motherboard currently is the MSI P55A-GD55, with an Intel i5 760. I have also spent a lot of time installing a bunch of drivers for the Marvell SATA controller, but they haven't helped.


Feldmarshals adice is OK
But before going behind a PCIe card that gives you a few SATA3 ports please learn how much you are going to earn by chosing a PCIe card rather than a new Motherboard with such facilities. A new Motherboard also gives you some future proffing. Read the following article to learn about such cards. This is a very good article that teaches you even to teach your friends about the parameters of PCI or PCIe.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/Everything-You...
m
0
l
Related resources
March 22, 2013 4:59:23 PM

Feldmarschall said:
Well this I know for sure cause friend had same issue couple months ago on Gigabayte board. P55 chipset is not designed for SATA III. Only way of getting this to work is to put SATA 3 expansion card in one PCIx16 slot. Lot of pepole had this issue, and this is only solution that made it work and even Intel recomended it more than year ago.


drkarasheed said:
Kevinity said:
Just today, I purchased a 64 GB Sandisk SSD to use as my OS drive. I do notice that my boot up speeds are faster, but when I run Crystal Disk Mark, I get higher speeds when it's connected to my SATA 2 port instead of SATA 3. On my SATA 2 port, I get ~260MB read, and ~200MB write speeds, and ~190MB read, and ~110MB write on SATA 3. I have AHCI enabled for both. Something odd though is that when I go to the boot sequence page in the bios, it shows my SSD as IDE when it's connected to my SATA 3 port. However, when it's connected to my SATA 2 port, it's shown as HDD, which I assume should be correct. Please help me, because I want to be able to get the best speed possible by utilizing SATA 3. The SSD is the Sandisk SDSSDP-064G-G25. My motherboard currently is the MSI P55A-GD55, with an Intel i5 760. I have also spent a lot of time installing a bunch of drivers for the Marvell SATA controller, but they haven't helped.


Feldmarshals adice is OK
But before going behind a PCIe card that gives you a few SATA3 ports please learn how much you are going to earn by chosing a PCIe card rather than a new Motherboard with such facilities. A new Motherboard also gives you some future proffing. Read the following article to learn about such cards. This is a very good article that teaches you even to teach your friends about the parameters of PCI or PCIe.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/Everything-You...


I've decided that I'm not going to be spending the money on an expansion card and I'm just going to stick with my SSD on SATA 2. I'm still getting great performance out of it on SATA 2 so it's fine to me. It still boots up fast and beats my old WD Caviar 1TB.
m
0
l
a c 283 G Storage
March 23, 2013 1:35:51 PM

Smart decision! A typical home user or gamer usually cannot tell the difference between SATA 2 and SATA 3 performance.
m
0
l
!