Solved

First time build for 3d modeling & rendering, please help

Hi, I'm planning to build my first PC for 3d works

I will need some advice on especially on the processor, motherboard and vga front


processor : i7 3770k
motherboard : intel dz77ga-70k
VGA : gtx 680 with 4GB memory

^will the system work well?
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about time build modeling rendering
  1. Define well?

    Plus you are missing a lot of information that is relevant. Hard disk types / size / RAM / resolution of monitor(s).
  2. I don't really think a 680 is necessary for 3d modeling/rendering. That's more CPU/RAM/SSD intensive than GPU by far. I would invest in the CPU/RAM and if you have extra, an SSD. There isn't a huge need for an expensive GPU if that's all you're doing, but it's up to you.
  3. yeah it would...might go with a different mobo as intel is exiting the mobo market and while they support will continue, i rather not be buying the last release of any company's product line. may i suggest a board by asus or asrock. as for your video card its great in games but compute perfomance is actually less the gtx580's...if you can swing it get a titan...they are ridiculous priced but for their compute performance is legendary for things like cad and 3d works....and gaming single gpu king. assuming i read your brief post correctly about modeling...other wise the gtx 680 is great
  4. I'd suggest using a gpu renderer anyways, it'll save lots of time. But you should tell us what you are using. Or better yet, fill this out. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice
  5. bak0n said:
    Define well?

    Plus you are missing a lot of information that is relevant. Hard disk types / size / RAM / resolution of monitor(s).


    oh, sorry
    HDD : Seagate barracuda 7200 rpm 16mb cache 500gb
    RAM : Corsair DDR3 CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10 (2 X 8GB)
    resolution : 1440 x 900 for now

    so for motherboard, is Asrock z77 extreme4 or extreme6 edition better than dz77ga-70k?

    I'd be using mainly Maya, 3dsmax, zbrush, and adobe products like photoshop, aftereffect and premiere.

    I was going to get Firepro w5000 for GPU, but some people suggested gtx680 instead
  6. yeah the build looks good..though i might find a hdd with 64mb of cache (or at least 32)
  7. k1114 said:
    I'd suggest using a gpu renderer anyways, it'll save lots of time. But you should tell us what you are using. Or better yet, fill this out. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice


    Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: tomorrow or in 2 days

    Budget Range: $1500

    System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3d modeling, light gaming

    Are you buying a monitor: Not for now

    Parts to Upgrade: Processor, Motherboard, GPU, RAM

    Do you need to buy OS: No

    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com or amazon

    Overclocking: Maybe (not now though)

    SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (in the future, not now)

    Your Monitor Resolution: 1440x900 or higher


    And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: for smooth 3d modeling and rendering

    thank you.
  8. atomicWAR said:
    yeah the build looks good..though i might find a hdd with 64mb of cache (or at least 32)


    I'll try to upgrade the HDD as well, thank you :)
  9. I'd suggest adding a ssd, especially with that budget, and just go with the cheapest hdd for the size. Btw the ram you listed is for laptops unless you got the model number wrong. What about your case and psu?
  10. k1114 said:
    I'd suggest adding a ssd, especially with that budget, and just go with the cheapest hdd for the size. Btw the ram you listed is for laptops unless you got the model number wrong. What about your case and psu?


    Ah, I think I got the model number wrong then. I was gonna get this for a case
    http://azzatek.com/csaz-301-techspec.html

    and I'm gonna get a 750w psu, still not sure of which type i should get though. Does the model/brand matter?

    umm so should I change the motherboard or is it good enough? Thanks
  11. for a psu i suggest seasonic, xfx (which uses seasonic), PC power and cooling (many are seasonic again), corsair...to name a few good ones and yes good ones matter. never cheap out on a PSU brand wise. i didn't see where you narrowed down the mobo list but the asrock ones you mentioned are good choices.
  12. Best answer
    So you need everything, what about a cooler?

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($93.50 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card ($519.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.81 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1312.24
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-22 00:52 EDT-0400)
  13. k1114 said:
    So you need everything, what about a cooler?

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($93.50 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card ($519.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.81 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1312.24
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-22 00:52 EDT-0400)


    ah thank you, that got all I need, though I think I'm gonna change the motherboard to Asus P8Z77-V Pro

    as for the cooler, I'm gonna get the one like Enermax ETS-T40-TB CPU Cooler With T.B.SILENCE PWM Twister Bearing Fan Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM2/FM1/AM3+

    or

    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+

    thank you for the help guys :D
  14. replace intel with asrock ??? !!!!! are you crazy ? like replace gold with garbage.
Ask a new question

Read More

Rendering 3D Processors Motherboards Build Systems