Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 Build 7601 'This copy of Windows is not genuine'

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
March 22, 2013 1:47:40 PM

What? I have been using Windows 7 for a while now, it came with my laptop and i have not done anything recently, other than a normal windows update the other day, that could have caused this rather disturbing message. Everything works fine and my Windows is genuine, is there any way to tell how this could have occurred and how to remove it?
a c 209 $ Windows 7
March 22, 2013 1:49:49 PM

where you do brought the laptop from? you should contact the manufacturer.
Score
0
March 22, 2013 2:01:26 PM

Happens from time to time...
Get your serial number ready and call Microsoft, they should be able to tell you the activation key.
Score
0
Related resources
March 25, 2013 9:12:37 PM

James Thomas said:
What? I have been using Windows 7 for a while now, it came with my laptop and i have not done anything recently, other than a normal windows update the other day, that could have caused this rather disturbing message. Everything works fine and my Windows is genuine, is there any way to tell how this could have occurred and how to remove it?


Score
0
April 22, 2013 11:14:16 AM

This is not a solution but the same has happened to me. I am recently widowed and very new to computer maintenance. Like James Thomas I have done nothing and my Windows is genuine. I resent being called a thief and being put to the time, trouble and stress of this. Can I just ignore this?

Score
0
a c 209 $ Windows 7
April 22, 2013 11:30:03 AM

no. need to contact microsoft, or windows will get disabled.
Score
0
a c 232 $ Windows 7
April 22, 2013 1:06:59 PM

Gilly McG said:
This is not a solution but the same has happened to me. I am recently widowed and very new to computer maintenance. Like James Thomas I have done nothing and my Windows is genuine. I resent being called a thief and being put to the time, trouble and stress of this. Can I just ignore this?



Without a valid activation, windows will only run for 30 days then stop. You will also continue to get the nag screen warning you that windows isn't authentic.

Score
0
April 22, 2013 2:21:22 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Gilly McG said:
This is not a solution but the same has happened to me. I am recently widowed and very new to computer maintenance. Like James Thomas I have done nothing and my Windows is genuine. I resent being called a thief and being put to the time, trouble and stress of this. Can I just ignore this?



Without a valid activation, windows will only run for 30 days then stop. You will also continue to get the nag screen warning you that windows isn't authentic.



Hi - I have tried the Microsoft instructions to activate and the Properties thingy says Windows is activated, so I can't get any further - and the message has disappeared. Will is come back tomorrow? Do I need to phone them?

Hello again - I found a way to phone activate and it says it was successful, so fingers crossed.
Score
0
June 5, 2013 12:05:01 AM

I had the same problem and fixed it. My copy is genuine and activated, worked for about a year, then I got the Windows 7 build 7601 "this copy of Windows is not Genuine" error in the bottom right hand of the screen - just after a major Windows update by the way. Couldn't find the product activation key.

So, I started the Product Activation Wizard, by following these steps:
Click Start
Right-click Computer.
Select Properties.
Then at the bottom of the window, you'll see if it is activated and what the product ID is. I printed the page out for reference, and used 'print screen' and saved it to Word as well. Then I exited that, all ready to pohone Microsoft and re-activate it, and found that the "This copy of Windows is not Genuine" notice had disappeared.
Score
0
!