Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

have a couple of question about using a lcd tv as a monitor

Tags:
  • TV
  • LCD
  • Monitors
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Share
March 23, 2013 11:51:03 AM

hi i have a couple of qusetion about using a lcd tv as a montior

1 is it a good idea and does it matter a what resoutoin i get because i have a hd 6950 that can handle up to 1080p and but if i bought a 1366x768 when i hook my pc up to it will i be able to rasie the resoultion

2 and will i have use less anti asling

More about : couple question lcd monitor

March 23, 2013 11:55:18 AM

You will not be able to raise the resolution on the LCD TV, 1366x768 is as high as it'll go, you can AA to your heart's content. The AA setting will have nothing to do with your TV.
m
0
l
March 23, 2013 12:07:18 PM

well when my brother watches tv is 1366x768 but when he uses his pc it 1080p does that mean hes gaming at 1080p and hes using a hdmi cable
m
0
l
Related resources
March 23, 2013 12:56:37 PM

It might say 1080p but it really doesn't go up in resolution, I have a 720p TV and when I hook it up to my PS3 it says it is 1080p but I think it just forces that resolution for compatibility reasons, it is still displaying in 720p. Same with your TV, its native resolution is 1366x768, it might say that it is in 1080, but it is really just displaying the max resolution it is capable of.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
March 23, 2013 1:40:53 PM

What's the brand and model of the LCD TV?

I find that an LCD TV makes for a very poor PC monitor and I've tried it with my 9 Series Samsung LCD TV @ 1080p. The image looks too granular.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
March 23, 2013 2:40:24 PM

The 1080P indicator on a TV just tells what signal your TV is receiving, not necessarily what it is displaying. I have a 23" Vizio that can display up to a 1366x768 picture, but when a 1080P signal is fed into it, the TV automatically scales it down to 720P because the TV cannot physically display 1080 lines (the second number in the resolution tells the number of lines).

Casey
m
0
l
March 23, 2013 6:35:26 PM

well what kind makes a good tv monitor lcd or led and i looking to buy one soon
m
0
l
March 23, 2013 6:51:17 PM

cklaubur said:
The 1080P indicator on a TV just tells what signal your TV is receiving, not necessarily what it is displaying. I have a 23" Vizio that can display up to a 1366x768 picture, but when a 1080P signal is fed into it, the TV automatically scales it down to 720P because the TV cannot physically display 1080 lines (the second number in the resolution tells the number of lines).

Casey
and even if i run the hdmi to my gpu to the back of the tv

m
0
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
March 23, 2013 11:22:16 PM

skitz9417 said:
... and i have been looking at these http://www.bigw.com.au/electronics/televisions/led-tv/b...
http://dicksmith.com.au/product/GE6806/dick-smith-26-qu...

and i want to hook my pc up to one of these


The AWA 22" 1080P is the better display of the two you've linked to.

It has higher native resolution, wider viewing angle and faster response time. Faster response time is necessary to prevent ghosting of the image during game play.
Share
March 24, 2013 6:06:14 AM

ko888 said:
skitz9417 said:
... and i have been looking at these http://www.bigw.com.au/electronics/televisions/led-tv/b...
http://dicksmith.com.au/product/GE6806/dick-smith-26-qu...

and i want to hook my pc up to one of these


The AWA 22" 1080P is the better display of the two you've linked to.
and when i game will i use less anti alsing in games
It has higher native resolution, wider viewing angle and faster response time. Faster response time is necessary to prevent ghosting of the image during game play.
when i game on a 1080p screen will i use less anti asling

m
0
l
a b C Monitor
March 24, 2013 10:14:06 AM

skitz9417 said:
ko888 said:
skitz9417 said:
... and i have been looking at these http://www.bigw.com.au/electronics/televisions/led-tv/b...
http://dicksmith.com.au/product/GE6806/dick-smith-26-qu...

and i want to hook my pc up to one of these


The AWA 22" 1080P is the better display of the two you've linked to.
and when i game will i use less anti alsing in games
It has higher native resolution, wider viewing angle and faster response time. Faster response time is necessary to prevent ghosting of the image during game play.
when i game on a 1080p screen will i use less anti asling



You can use a lower AA setting or no AA. That's a personal preference choice and it's up to you to decide whether or not the lower AA is acceptable to you.
m
0
l
!