AMD CPU Update

I have a Acer M3450-UR30P with a AMD FX-4100 processor running windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I would like to upgrade my processor to a AMD FX-8350 processor. Will this work without any problems?
9 answers Last reply
More about amd cpu update
  1. Do you know the make /model of the motherboard in it? I am having a hard time finding it on the net. They are both am3+ sockets so it is interchangeable. But the fx-8350 is 125 watts, so you need to see if your motherboard supports 125 watt processors.
  2. generally speaking upgrading pre-built systems is difficult and in some cases impossible...I was unable to locate anything about CPU compatibility which likely means it will not accept anything other then what you already have.
  3. The original FX4100 was a 95W chip, you'll want to upgrade to a FX6300 specifically...as the 6100 was a 125W chip, but the FX6300 is a large upgrade in performance for you, and your board should accomodate it nicely. You may need to update your BIOS for compatability...but if it runs a FX4100, that should not be an issue
  4. 8350rocks said:
    The original FX4100 was a 95W chip, you'll want to upgrade to a FX6300 specifically...as the 6100 was a 125W chip, but the FX6300 is a large upgrade in performance for you, and your board should accomodate it nicely. You may need to update your BIOS for compatability...but if it runs a FX4100, that should not be an issue


    bios is the issue...i have been searching for him and there doesn't seem to be support for any CPU but the one he has.
  5. Who is the original manufacturer? It wasn't HP was it?
  6. BIOS update procedure as per HP:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00042629

    Here is the most current version of BIOS for the board...not sure if he is running this version or not:

    http://www.driversshow.com/drivers-bios/bios-hp-3029h.html

    HP's site with most current version of BIOS and drivers:

    http://win7driversdownload.com/drivers-drivers-motherboard-hewlett-packard-3029h/
  7. 8350rocks said:
    BIOS update procedure as per HP:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00042629

    Here is the most current version of BIOS for the board...not sure if he is running this version or not:

    http://www.driversshow.com/drivers-bios/bios-hp-3029h.html

    HP's site with most current version of BIOS and drivers:

    http://win7driversdownload.com/drivers-drivers-motherboard-hewlett-packard-3029h/


    those i saw but can you find a CPU supported list? i didn't want to tell him it was fine and find out even with a bios flash his cpu didn't work still.
  8. atomicWAR said:
    8350rocks said:
    BIOS update procedure as per HP:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00042629

    Here is the most current version of BIOS for the board...not sure if he is running this version or not:

    http://www.driversshow.com/drivers-bios/bios-hp-3029h.html

    HP's site with most current version of BIOS and drivers:

    http://win7driversdownload.com/drivers-drivers-motherboard-hewlett-packard-3029h/


    those i saw but can you find a CPU supported list? i didn't want to tell him it was fine and find out even with a bios flash his cpu didn't work still.


    I cannot find a supported list, though the newest version of BIOS is dated just before the release of the Piledriver series in 2012, so I would imagine, the update was specifically for that architecture that was coming soon.

    Essentially, if you want to upgrade, it should work...in theory atleast...however, you cannot be 100% certain without an updated list of supported chips, though, based on what I can tell from the updates and other things...it seems the piledriver series would be supported.
  9. 8350rocks said:
    atomicWAR said:
    8350rocks said:
    BIOS update procedure as per HP:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00042629

    Here is the most current version of BIOS for the board...not sure if he is running this version or not:

    http://www.driversshow.com/drivers-bios/bios-hp-3029h.html

    HP's site with most current version of BIOS and drivers:

    http://win7driversdownload.com/drivers-drivers-motherboard-hewlett-packard-3029h/


    those i saw but can you find a CPU supported list? i didn't want to tell him it was fine and find out even with a bios flash his cpu didn't work still.


    I cannot find a supported list, though the newest version of BIOS is dated just before the release of the Piledriver series in 2012, so I would imagine, the update was specifically for that architecture that was coming soon.

    Essentially, if you want to upgrade, it should work...in theory atleast...however, you cannot be 100% certain without an updated list of supported chips, though, based on what I can tell from the updates and other things...it seems the piledriver series would be supported.


    as a rule i try to keep advice to what i know will work...though sometime we all have to take a gamble. If it were me i would just keep the current CPU but if your willing to risk it that's on you (thread opener).
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD