Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU Fan Error

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 24, 2013 5:13:54 AM

I just completed a new build, my first in several years. After I got everything put together and powered it on, the computer would start for maybe a second and then shut down. I noticed the CPU led was lit for the brief moment it stayed on so I started investigating there first.

I was afraid that I might have damaged the pins in the socket while installing the CPU, so I took it all apart to see if I could see any damage. It all looked ok, so I put it all back together. I believe the issue was that I didn't have the fan mounts completely secured the first time around. When I tried to power back on, the computer started up.

However as it's going through the POST, the bios displays a CPU Fan Error, although when I press F1 to go into the bios setup, I don't see anything in my limited experience that looks like a problem. When I exit out of there the computer starts normally. I was able to install Windows and other software, while it's running everything appears to be working correctly.

Although when I go from power completely off to powering it on, it seems to hesitate for a second, like it's going to immediately down, but then it goes ahead and starts up. But it still displays the CPU Fan Error. I'm confident the fan unit is securely in place now, but I'm wondering if not having it secure initially might have caused some problem?

I'm using an i7-3770 on an Asus P8 Z77-V Pro motherboard.

More about : cpu fan error

a b à CPUs
March 24, 2013 5:25:36 AM

cpu fan errors usually occur because the fan is hooked up to the wrong fan port. the motherboard tries to warn you in turn your cpu is not getting cooled. check your mother board manual and ensure you in the right port. i water cool and never use the fan port and have to turn off the warning myself in bios so it's doesn't go crazy every time i boot up.
m
0
l
March 24, 2013 8:29:49 PM

atomicWAR said:
cpu fan errors usually occur because the fan is hooked up to the wrong fan port. the motherboard tries to warn you in turn your cpu is not getting cooled. check your mother board manual and ensure you in the right port. i water cool and never use the fan port and have to turn off the warning myself in bios so it's doesn't go crazy every time i boot up.


Thank you for the reply. I checked that and confirmed that I do have it plugged into the correct socket as its labeled on the motherboard and in the manual. I'm mostly concerned that when I start the computer, it acts like its going to shut down for a second and then fully starts up. I was thinking that maybe since I might not have had the fan/heat sink fully seated the first time that maybe the thermal glue is not making good contact now. Could that be a concern at all?

m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2013 8:53:44 PM

yes if it wasn't seated well and you re seated it your thermal paste may have issues....ie a bubble, cpu not covered properly....if you have some theremal paste you should reapply and reseat the cooler again.
m
0
l
March 24, 2013 8:56:34 PM

atomicWAR said:
yes if it wasn't seated well and you re seated it your thermal paste may have issues....ie a bubble, cpu not covered properly....if you have some theremal paste you should reapply and reseat the cooler again.


Thanks! Can I apply new paste over what is already there or should I clean off the old first?

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2013 8:59:37 PM

u can but u run bubble risks...better to clean and reapply
m
0
l
March 24, 2013 9:00:57 PM

atomicWAR said:
u can but u run bubble risks...better to clean and reapply


Ok, great. Thanks again for your help.

m
0
l
!