HD 7870 Bottleneck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

afromac

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Hi

I've been thinking about how to upgrade my pc over the last few days and thought it might be a good idea to get some advice/feedback on what I'm planning.

My immediate concern is having a working computer as my current one is an old Pentium D Compaq/Frankenstein I've cobbled together that just absolutely sucks at everything. As such, I just bought a Pentium G860 and 4 GB of basic Ram to keep me going for college work and multi-windowing browsing, 1080p video etc.

I do plan on gradually upgrading this to a high spec build over time - maybe over 18/24 months. Because of this I've actually purchased an Asus Maximus Gene mATX mobo, with a view to eventually upgrading the ram and OCing an Ivy Bridge quad-core.

My question is with regard to the graphics card. Right now I want to play games like SimCity, Assassins Creed 2, Dead Space 2 but would like something that is eventually going to be competitive with the next generation of consoles. I was thinking about picking up a HD 7870 to accomplish this.

Would this card be overkill for the G860 cpu? Would I be better off getting something a bit cheaper to keep me going for the next year or so until I have a better cpu installed?

I don't want to drop a load of cash on a card that my CPU can't handle, only to upgrade my CPU next year and find that my graphics card is already antiquated.

Maybe I'm better off with a HD 6670 for the interim?

Thanks for your input.

Edit: 500w PSU

Solution

Ya you can get a 7790 or 7850 as recent games like skyrim crysis3 requires lot of CPU power along with GPU so the dual core might hold you back. But most 90% games will be very happy with the 3GHz @ 1080p requires some GPU power.

http://ark.intel.com/products/53492/Intel-Pentium-Proce...

Edit: The CPU cant be overclocked only K series processors can. slight overclock aint gonna give you...

afromac

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Well I won't be upgrading the processor for at least a year - I haven't even installed it yet and I have no intention of playing anything like Crysis 3 in the immediate future.

You think the G860 and a HD 7790 would be a good combination?

I know that it's not designed for it, but do you think I might be able to get a slight OC on the G860?

imomun

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

Ya you can get a 7790 or 7850 as recent games like skyrim crysis3 requires lot of CPU power along with GPU so the dual core might hold you back. But most 90% games will be very happy with the 3GHz @ 1080p requires some GPU power.

http://ark.intel.com/products/53492/Intel-Pentium-Proce...

Edit: The CPU cant be overclocked only K series processors can. slight overclock aint gonna give you much but lotsa hasstle.

I think you will be fine with that as long you dont play very cpu intensive games like crysis3.

So yes go for the card of your choice.

Thanks

Solution

For Skyrim it is great , Crysis 3 it is pretty good, you should be able to do medium-high mixed settings decently at around 50FPS on C3, it will benefit from extra RAM (cheeaap).
Just remember to upgrade the CPU eventually....

Status
Not open for further replies.