$662.30 gaming rig opinions and facepalms welcome

monkeyskin

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
im no pc builder. matter of fact i know just enough to get me into trouble. im posting this thread because anytime i have questions google normally sends me here for answers so id like to post the items ive purchased here and ask for the community to hold nothing back on how i did for my first rig.

a few notes: i am a casual gamer, i used to play Wow 7 days a week until about a year ago so back then i had ideas of a gaming rig that would kill the lag monster and boost my fps. nowadays i like to play games i can put down at a moments notice and walk away from for a few weeks if need be.

i play bf3, battleship pacific, world of tanks, and upon release hope to get into world of warplanes and warships. i dont HAVE to run at optimum levels if this rig wont handle it. but i dont want bottlenecking due to a mistake on my part. i like smooth responsive graphics and hopefully have built a budget friendly rig.

i already have a mw3 steel series gaming mouse and razer 2 sided mousepad, a 550w psu, a 7500rpm hard drive and optical drive so forgive me if those items arent included in my price. i scavenged these items from my hp pavilion.

and so without further hesitation ill offer up my rig specs for you guys to judge.
(be gentle its my first time)

GPU: the reason i post this first is i hoped to build around this unit

Zotac GTX 560ti

MOBO: came with cpu in a bundle. maybe the weakest point in the rig but i knew it would be compatible with my cpu and im not a builder so i hope its not bad

MSI FM2-A55M-E33

CPU: im fairly certain intel components would have been a better choice but amd offered a more budget friendly option at the speeds i thought were good. ntm it is overclockable.

AMD Quad-Core A10-5800K 3.8GHz

MEMORY: picked a mid range speed memory and filled the 2 slots available on the mobo

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB kit (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 1.5V 240-Pin

CPU COOLER: reccomended by a friend i have since reconsidered and wished i had bought a liquid cooling system since the case i puchased has provisions for it. its already enroute so ill hold off on the thermal paste until i see the temps

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan

KEYBOARD: matches the mouse.... uhhhh... i got nuttin else lol

Logitech Gaming Keyboard G105 Call of Duty: MW3 Edition

HEADSET: cheap and great reviews for the price. if it fails im out very little money compared to what i spent. my wife cares not for the sound of gunfire and missles sounding off so i opted out of the aftermarket sound card and impressive sound system.

Universal PC/Stereo Gaming Headset - Yapster TM-YB100A – Black

OS: after talking to a few folks windows 8 seems like it has a few bugs yet to work out and i went with something that is up to date and seemingly dependable

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

SATA CABLES: unfortunately the cables i had and the ones that came with the gpu wont work with the positioning of the ports being directly under the gtx beast so i had to order some new cables

OKGear 18 inch Blue Premium SATA III Round Cable 6GB/s Straight to Right Angle w/latch

CASE: i fell in love with the case not only because of the price but the temp sensor and 200mm fan and speed control already mounted. blue leds werent necessary but they are just eye candy anyway. went ahead and added 2 more 120mm fans to my order( ill list them next) to put the ice on a 5 fan case cooler /grin.

Sentey Black Box Series BX1-4237 v2.2 Black SECC 0.7mm / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CASE FANS: added to the impressive amount already in the case

COOLER MASTER R4-L2S-122B-GP 120mm 4 Blue LED Case Fan 2 in 1 pack

summary:

all in all i dont think i did bad i could have done a lot worse and spent a lot more but i welcome any information on what i could have done better or differently and any proposed problems i could encounter. i have recieved a few items and started installing them in the pavillion case to see if any problems arise to get them dealt with in a timely manner. thanks ahead of tim and your opinions mean everything good or bad.

ricky

monkeyskin

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
ive always used radeon gpu's. im a fan of them for sure. wanted to go out on a ledge and try a high end mid range (description confusing ) gpu from nvidia and see how impressed i was. hd 7660 came as onboard graphics with the mobo and cpu bundle. thank you for your response

monkeyskin

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
uhh. im a little freaked out. spoke with a software engineer that is a friend of a friend. seems i should have used some sort of lanyard to install the components i have recieved. possible static damage? im worried my most expensive parts are dead before i even power it up....

Cyanide Reverse

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

you should be grounded when installing computer parts to avoid static electricity ruining your parts, you can ground yourself by touching some metal or wearing a grounding ring at all times, if your parts are fried then does your guarantee cover it?