7850 on 400w psu?

Solution

Rammy

Honorable
Can you run a HD7850 on a 400W PSU?
Yes. It's perhaps not the greatest idea but if you had a very good 400W PSU and a reasonably efficient CPU, you'd be unlikely to have any worries.

Can your PSU run a HD7850 and all the rest?
Really inadvisable. You were already pushing it, and you have a micro PSU from FSP who are a bit hit and miss as a brand. Add in the processor overclock, and you are just asking for trouble. For that system as it stands, a good quality 500W PSU is likely to be plenty, though if you are planning on really heavy overclocking or you want to allow for beefier graphics cards the going up to 550/600 might be a good idea.

Additionally, that seems like a slightly odd build. What is it for?

JJ1217

Honorable
Probably not at stock, definitely not if overclocking. It'll work at idle, but gaming you might experience the occasion shutdown. Get yourself something with a little more juice.

And don't buy a Maximus V gene. Incredibly overpriced. Look for something like a Z77 Extreme4 or a nice Z77X from Gigabyte, then spend that extra $60 on a better graphics cards. Always spend at least 1.5 to 2 times on your GPU than you did on your CPU. Rule of thumb usually.

It will probably work, but OC'ing is out of the mix with those parts. At least your looking at a quality PSU, so you have things going well there.

If you want a bit more wiggle room and still want to keep the same form factor (Mico ATX):

$75 shipped!
FSP Group FSP450-60GHS(85)-R 450W Micro ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Intel Core i3/i5/i7 Compatible Power Supply

If your interested in a better PSU (of normal size), see below:

$70 - $15 Promo Code - $15 MIRc = $40!!! It can run any single GPU out there and is only $40!!!
XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

G

i need the small/micro since my case is small... i got the ram, my psu, windows 7, the cpu cooler and the cpu... so any video cards u can recommend that would be better then my gtx 650 (not 2 happy with it) also any psu thats micro or small, thats 80+ and 500w or more? this is for gaming and movies/tv, i wanna play my games at full 1080p maybe med-high depending on the game with at least 30fps

G

also will not be overclocking at all, just wanna pop in the parts and have it work for years to come, i play lots of games, movies, watch tv everything on it and it will be running all day, everyday about

Well the Micro ATX PSU I listed above is a bit better, but the 7850 would be the right fit, IMHO for your stated needs. The 7850 would be a bit better than your current 560, but I'm not sure if it's enough of a difference. Here is AnandTech's comparison between the GTX 560 and the AMD 7850 GPU.

G

yea im thinking of upgrading to that psu so i feel a little safer and im using the gtx 650 non ti, i know the 7770 is better but i want more power lol so im looking at the 7790 or 7850, id rather get the 7850 since its better but not if my system cant handle it

The 450w FSP PSU would be fine with the 7850, so I wouldn't worry too much there. If you start to OC or if you have some higher temperatures in the case, than I would be careful in what decisions you make. The 7850 is pretty efficient, but I wouldn't go below the 450w PSU, IMHO.

Solution
G

still kinda on the fence with this one but ill more then likely gonna get the 450w and give this setup 2 my cousin get him off console lol. still kinda worried about using 7850 on 450w tho... i hear that what is recommended like 500w is an overstatment for no name psu or non 80+ ones, is this true? and how is the 7790 to the 7850? like will 7790 be a big upgrade to my 650? also as for my mobo any micro atx mobos someone could recommend? i like the asus formula v gene, it has really good built in audio and thats important to me so with that i wont need to buy a soundcard since its using creative sound blaster anyways and thats the card i was looking at, so any micro atx motherboards for the i5 with really good audio, can take ddr3 1866 and is reliable?

G

wow after seeing these results the 7790 is looking really good for the money, def my 400w will be able to handle it and its way better then my 650 but uses almost no more power, tho the 7850 is better by a lot but im kinda leaning to the 7790 but def would like a 7850 more since it is better and i wanna play the latest games for a few years b4 i have 2 upgrade agian

Well most onboard sound is pretty good, IMHO, so I don't tend to worry about it much these days. I usually have a headset on and don't have any issues with the sound. I don't believe that the 1866 mHz RAM is going to make much of a difference with gaming, so sticking with 1600 mHz RAM with at least CAS 9 timings and a set that runs at stock voltage of 1.5v (along with low profile heat spreaders) is all that you should need.

G

yea i think ill spend the extra money and go 4 the 80+ gold and its silverstone so i know its a good brand plus its full modular also u think a 7870 would be pushing and what about a gtx 660 and how is the 660 compared to my 650? i wanna get the best for my money and what i can use with 450w

7870 LE would be the best option (assuming it fits the case):

Currently $219 (after MIRc) to $240 at Newegg
Check the 2 out at Newegg right now.

Amazon's option at the moment for ~$232 on up.

G

is the 7870 the same size as the 7850? if so it will fit but the 450w can handle the 7870 and all my other parts right?

The Powercolor 7870 LE is (LxWxH):
10.5" x 4.38" x 1.5"

7850's:
Powercolor's - 7.99" x 4.37" x 1.5"
HIS - 9.06" x 5" x 1.65"
XFX Core Ed. - 7.8" x 4.4" x 1.5"
Sapphire - 8.15" x 4.13" x 1.38"

So it all depends on your space within the case. What case are you using?

G

not sure what case it is but its small not an htpc or super slim case but its small wide wise but i measured it and im looking at the 7850 xfx it will fit nicely in it just as long as my psu can handle it and from my research and ppl like u saying it will so thats what im gonna go 4 thank you for the help i hope it turns out all good