Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Windows 8 laptop stuck in automatic repair loop

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Windows 8
  • Repair loop
Last response: in Windows 8
March 25, 2013 4:16:52 AM

I was just doing what I usually do on my laptop (homework, some games, Internet) then it said automatically shutting down in 4 minutes. Didn't want to wait so clicked restart and install updates. When it comes on again. It first starts of with the asus symbol then says 'preparing automatic repair' screen goes black then the asus symbol again, but this time it's says 'diagnosing your PC' after about 5 minutes of waiting it comes up with a blue screen and a sad face. And says *we couldn't gather enough data we will try again.* (this happened in about 3 seconds so its hard to read. Please help. Can't access any other points. This is the only thing it does.

More about : windows laptop stuck automatic repair loop

March 25, 2013 4:24:04 AM

Is the loop infinite? In other words did you try it say, more than 3 times?
If so you should try and reinstall Win8 and have it keep your files so you don't lise anything. If oyu don't want to risk that than just keep trying till something happens, or take out your hard drive, put in in a desktop PC with another hard drive, access your files and backup, and wipe the laptop HDD clean.
m
0
l
March 25, 2013 4:28:00 AM

Now says 'repairing disk errors. This may take over an hour to complete' I will leave it over night. (10.27 where I am) and see in the morning. If nothing I will ask for further instructions.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 25, 2013 4:32:16 AM

Noah9001 said:
Now says 'repairing disk errors. This may take over an hour to complete' I will leave it over night. (10.27 where I am) and see in the morning. If nothing I will ask for further instructions.


You'll be fine man don't worry.
Just a questio, how often do you shut down the laptop?
m
0
l
March 25, 2013 4:48:17 AM

Well every time it says update. I just get it out of the way and reset it. Maybe once a week? Once every two weeks. Lets just put it as rarely. Why's this?
m
0
l
March 25, 2013 4:52:26 AM

Noah9001 said:
Well every time it says update. I just get it out of the way and reset it. Maybe once a week? Once every two weeks. Lets just put it as rarely. Why's this?


Well laptops get warmer way faster than PC's, and I use my laptop exactly the way you do, for homework gaming and internet surfing and mine gets warm (Samsung series 3).
And since your'e Win8 (meaning boot up time is under 1 minute), I'd say you would do the laptop a favor and even see a sgnificant boost in performance if you would shut it down every night.
That's just my opinion though.
m
0
l
March 25, 2013 4:54:33 AM

If this repair works I will. This is my first laptop. And very new to computers planning in the future to step it up but panicked a lot when this happend...
m
0
l
March 25, 2013 4:58:33 AM

Noah9001 said:
If this repair works I will. This is my first laptop. And very new to computers planning in the future to step it up but panicked a lot when this happend...


Don't panick, it's Windows. It's a built in feature to f*ck up once in a while.

m
0
l
April 13, 2013 4:08:19 PM

Noah9001 said:
I was just doing what I usually do on my laptop (homework, some games, Internet) then it said automatically shutting down in 4 minutes. Didn't want to wait so clicked restart and install updates. When it comes on again. It first starts of with the asus symbol then says 'preparing automatic repair' screen goes black then the asus symbol again, but this time it's says 'diagnosing your PC' after about 5 minutes of waiting it comes up with a blue screen and a sad face. And says *we couldn't gather enough data we will try again.* (this happened in about 3 seconds so its hard to read. Please help. Can't access any other points. This is the only thing it does.


m
0
l
April 17, 2013 11:28:34 AM

I just got a new Asus laptop that was already preinstalled with Windows 8.. And after using it for the usual things that I do and shutting it down after, it won't start normally again. First, it says "Preparing Automatic Repair' for like a minute or so. Then it blacks out for a second. And comes up again saying "Diagnosing your PC" after like five minutes it says a new message saying "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete". After hours of waiting it still hasn't finished and the next thing I know is that the screen's all blacked out but the backlight is still on. I am completely hopeless right now... The keys doesn't seem to work only, the only button that does is the Power Button. And whenever i try to restart it, it just does the same automatic repair loop. I don't really know what I'm doing since I'm completely new with Windows 8. Please help!!!!
m
0
l
April 18, 2013 4:29:41 AM

angic1002 said:
I just got a new Asus laptop that was already preinstalled with Windows 8.. And after using it for the usual things that I do and shutting it down after, it won't start normally again. First, it says "Preparing Automatic Repair' for like a minute or so. Then it blacks out for a second. And comes up again saying "Diagnosing your PC" after like five minutes it says a new message saying "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete". After hours of waiting it still hasn't finished and the next thing I know is that the screen's all blacked out but the backlight is still on. I am completely hopeless right now... The keys doesn't seem to work only, the only button that does is the Power Button. And whenever i try to restart it, it just does the same automatic repair loop. I don't really know what I'm doing since I'm completely new with Windows 8. Please help!!!!



Hey buddy
Did you try taking the battery completely out? So that the computer will shut down instead of restarting? If this doesn't work, then I recommend having it plugged in at night so it can do the system repair all night just incase it is a length proccess. Another thing could be taking it into Microsoft so they can handle it. Your last resort is wiping the HDD clean in a way. Either take it in to where you got and explaing the problem and hopefully they won't mind reinsatlling Win 8 for you, or do it yourself by taking out the HDD, plugging into a tower PC with a properly installed version of Windows and just format it. You'll need to buy Win8 yourself if you choose the manual way.
Oh and did you try making a Win7 repair disc? It works on Win8 and will offer to reinstall it clean.
m
0
l
August 12, 2013 7:44:19 PM

Lol...and how do you get the laptop to START in safe mode, bypassing the infinite loop of the automatic repair...THAT is the real question, to which I have not required out...F8 or Shift+F8 isn't working!
m
0
l
September 15, 2013 12:18:45 PM

hiruu said:
Lol...and how do you get the laptop to START in safe mode, bypassing the infinite loop of the automatic repair...THAT is the real question, to which I have not required out...F8 or Shift+F8 isn't working!


Sigh - just in case someone else finds this - it is F9 for Windows 8 and it isn't safe mode anymore but it will help. You can choose refresh and lose all your software, or the second choice and do a factory reset. Nice set of choices.

m
0
l
October 9, 2013 4:29:18 PM

Noah9001 said:
If this repair works I will. This is my first laptop. And very new to computers planning in the future to step it up but panicked a lot when this happend...


You can go to the bestbuy geeks they'll fix it
;) 
m
0
l
October 14, 2013 12:05:20 PM

  1.  
Noah9001 said:
I was just doing what I usually do on my laptop (homework, some games, Internet) then it said automatically shutting down in 4 minutes. Didn't want to wait so clicked restart and install updates. When it comes on again. It first starts of with the asus symbol then says 'preparing automatic repair' screen goes black then the asus symbol again, but this time it's says 'diagnosing your PC' after about 5 minutes of waiting it comes up with a blue screen and a sad face. And says *we couldn't gather enough data we will try again.* (this happened in about 3 seconds so its hard to read. Please help. Can't access any other points. This is the only thing it does.


m
0
l
November 10, 2013 11:43:41 AM


Sigh - just in case someone else finds this - it is F9 for Windows 8 and it isn't safe mode anymore but it will help. You can choose refresh and lose all your software, or the second choice and do a factory reset. Nice set of choices.

[/quotemsg]

^^^ that just helped me a fuckload ^^^
m
0
l
November 24, 2013 12:17:44 AM

Noah9001 said:
I was just doing what I usually do on my laptop (homework, some games, Internet) then it said automatically shutting down in 4 minutes. Didn't want to wait so clicked restart and install updates. When it comes on again. It first starts of with the asus symbol then says 'preparing automatic repair' screen goes black then the asus symbol again, but this time it's says 'diagnosing your PC' after about 5 minutes of waiting it comes up with a blue screen and a sad face. And says *we couldn't gather enough data we will try again.* (this happened in about 3 seconds so its hard to read. Please help. Can't access any other points. This is the only thing it does.

work on Bios F2. it work
m
0
l
November 30, 2013 12:33:59 PM

If your on the loop turn off pc by pushing restart button instantly start pushing esc. Push f11 advanced option restart pc. Then push files only let it load and do it's thing may take an hour. Problem solved!
m
0
l
December 3, 2013 9:01:49 PM

This was the easiest for me hit f11 before the while turning on the computer and it will bring up system recovery
m
0
l
December 30, 2013 12:16:44 PM

Jaxxy said:
hiruu said:
Lol...and how do you get the laptop to START in safe mode, bypassing the infinite loop of the automatic repair...THAT is the real question, to which I have not required out...F8 or Shift+F8 isn't working!


Sigh - just in case someone else finds this - it is F9 for Windows 8 and it isn't safe mode anymore but it will help. You can choose refresh and lose all your software, or the second choice and do a factory reset. Nice set of choices.



I am having same problem, I hit F9 but my options are boot manager
m
0
l
February 19, 2014 7:12:55 AM

Take out your laptop ram and erase the ram contact (gold contact with erase it with eraser).Or probably you need to reinstall the windows os in new partition before erase the original partition.Check if the original windows does it come with recovery partition and special key (boot up the recovery partition) and it does reset to original partition.Probably you need to search online regarding recovery partition.Otherwise you need to search an windows 8 download it burn it to disc or pendrive and bootup see it can repair it with installation disc.Lastly you might format windows 8 in new partition and not erase the original partition yet...because sometimes laptop vendor need to original windows with special setting so that with bios dependent on original OS with recovery partition(must careful not simply erase the wrong partition).Erase the partition which is not reserved and original OS which is used to store own file.That Windows OS will work it (but the product key you need to buy or contact the Microsoft to help you solve the activation
m
0
l
February 21, 2014 8:38:44 AM

Don’t worry about the Error all though the BSOD is the Major problem and you have to fix it in time to avoid more damages to system. Mostly, in windows 8 it happens due to Compatible Issues. So, Steps to check out:
http://www.solveinweb.com/quick-way-to-fix-blue-screen-...
m
0
l
February 28, 2014 2:37:28 AM

i had the same problem, windows started to check disk for errors....entered a loop of checking and restart and troubleshooting.........but after scanig for 4 times and restarting a window apeared asking if i want to continue to windows 8.1 or try to resolve the problem.........
I chooses the continue option and was fine
m
0
l
March 14, 2014 5:45:15 PM

Shien1234 said:
Take out your laptop ram and erase the ram contact (gold contact with erase it with eraser).Or probably you need to reinstall the windows os in new partition before erase the original partition.Check if the original windows does it come with recovery partition and special key (boot up the recovery partition) and it does reset to original partition.Probably you need to search online regarding recovery partition.Otherwise you need to search an windows 8 download it burn it to disc or pendrive and bootup see it can repair it with installation disc.Lastly you might format windows 8 in new partition and not erase the original partition yet...because sometimes laptop vendor need to original windows with special setting so that with bios dependent on original OS with recovery partition(must careful not simply erase the wrong partition).Erase the partition which is not reserved and original OS which is used to store own file.That Windows OS will work it (but the product key you need to buy or contact the Microsoft to help you solve the activation


turn u'r laptop off pick it up and throw it as hard as u can on the floor 3 times or until u see parts of it everywhere,Now it's fixed.
m
0
l
March 22, 2014 6:28:13 PM

Noah9001 said:
I was just doing what I usually do on my laptop (homework, some games, Internet) then it said automatically shutting down in 4 minutes. Didn't want to wait so clicked restart and install updates. When it comes on again. It first starts of with the asus symbol then says 'preparing automatic repair' screen goes black then the asus symbol again, but this time it's says 'diagnosing your PC' after about 5 minutes of waiting it comes up with a blue screen and a sad face. And says *we couldn't gather enough data we will try again.* (this happened in about 3 seconds so its hard to read. Please help. Can't access any other points. This is the only thing it does.


I have the same problem and I bought it today. Only I turned it off during hard reset and now it's in an infinite loop. Pls help.
m
0
l
April 12, 2014 8:46:38 AM

I was having a similar problem. Blue error screen, preparing to autorepair then black screen loop.

I used the Acer hotkeys for factory restore and was able to get back in. Push Alt and F10 while turning on your computer. If you have another type of laptop like HP you need to look up the factory reset hotkeys and push those while turning on the laptop

From my experience (Acer aspire laptop) It should say "Please Wait" instead of "preparing for autorepair" Then you will have to choose a language. After that I got 3 options: 1. Continue to Windows 2. Troubleshoot 3. Shutdown. I chose #1 and just went through to Windows and then my laptop seemed to work as normal.

Beware that if you go into factory reset, (I just found this in another forum), but as far as I understand, THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR ALL OF YOUR FILES TO BE WIPED CLEAN USING THIS METHOD (especially if you do a factory reset). I was lucky and just continuing through option #1 worked and everything was pretty much still there but just BEWARE that this may not always be true, especially if you choose option 2.

Hope this helps someone!
m
0
l
April 18, 2014 12:35:33 PM

Thank you every one :)  now my win. 8 lab top works :) 
m
0
l
July 20, 2014 2:50:03 PM

royo103 said:

Sigh - just in case someone else finds this - it is F9 for Windows 8 and it isn't safe mode anymore but it will help. You can choose refresh and lose all your software, or the second choice and do a factory reset. Nice set of choices.



^^^ that just helped me a fuckload ^^^[/quotemsg]
omg
me too currently refreshing wil see if that works if not i guess ill wipe it its only 3 days old i cant have accumulated that much shit yet
why do they change this shit and not tell people??????
also... WHERES MY START BAR :no:  or.. how do i get my start bar....if i wanted a operating system like a mac but that doesnt work.. i'd use my 10 year old mac... that doesnt work...

also is there somewhere to find a live chat with a mircosoft person to fix this crap.... google isnt helping..
m
0
l
July 24, 2014 5:50:12 PM

Noah9001 said:
I was just doing what I usually do on my laptop (homework, some games, Internet) then it said automatically shutting down in 4 minutes. Didn't want to wait so clicked restart and install updates. When it comes on again. It first starts of with the asus symbol then says 'preparing automatic repair' screen goes black then the asus symbol again, but this time it's says 'diagnosing your PC' after about 5 minutes of waiting it comes up with a blue screen and a sad face. And says *we couldn't gather enough data we will try again.* (this happened in about 3 seconds so its hard to read. Please help. Can't access any other points. This is the only thing it does.


m
0
l
August 1, 2014 6:27:09 PM

Boot From Your Windows 8 Installation Media

Insert a Windows 8 DVD, or a flash drive with the Windows 8 installation files on it, into your computer.

Tip: You can borrow someone else's Windows 8 disc or other media if you need to. You're not installing or reinstalling Windows 8, you're just accessing Advanced Startup Options - no product key or license breaking required.

Boot from the disc or boot from the USB device, whatever your situation calls for.

From the Windows Setup screen, tap or click on Next.

Tap or click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom of the window.

Advanced Startup Options will start, almost immediately.

Troubleshoot

Advance Options

Command prompt


disabling the loop via Command Prompt.
Type bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled NO
and press ENTER Key.
If the message reads "The operation completed successfully", then Automatic Repair will not appear.

and try to reset your computer.
m
1
l
August 8, 2014 1:27:22 PM

Noah9001 said:
I was just doing what I usually do on my laptop (homework, some games, Internet) then it said automatically shutting down in 4 minutes. Didn't want to wait so clicked restart and install updates. When it comes on again. It first starts of with the asus symbol then says 'preparing automatic repair' screen goes black then the asus symbol again, but this time it's says 'diagnosing your PC' after about 5 minutes of waiting it comes up with a blue screen and a sad face. And says *we couldn't gather enough data we will try again.* (this happened in about 3 seconds so its hard to read. Please help. Can't access any other points. This is the only thing it does.


m
0
l
August 18, 2014 1:30:12 PM

Rose Sasaki said:
Boot From Your Windows 8 Installation Media

Insert a Windows 8 DVD, or a flash drive with the Windows 8 installation files on it, into your computer.

Tip: You can borrow someone else's Windows 8 disc or other media if you need to. You're not installing or reinstalling Windows 8, you're just accessing Advanced Startup Options - no product key or license breaking required.

Boot from the disc or boot from the USB device, whatever your situation calls for.

From the Windows Setup screen, tap or click on Next.

Tap or click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom of the window.

Advanced Startup Options will start, almost immediately.

Troubleshoot

Advance Options

Command prompt


disabling the loop via Command Prompt.
Type bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled NO
and press ENTER Key.
If the message reads "The operation completed successfully", then Automatic Repair will not appear.

and try to reset your computer.


m
0
l
August 18, 2014 1:39:35 PM

Rose, I tried your suggestion and I did get the message "The operation completed successfully", however, when I went back into my system and chose Reset your PC I still a receiving an error message "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing." I had the dreaded blue screen with the :(  and then the auto repair loop with Diagnosing after I did all the bootrec /c: chkdsk and other commands in Dos command yesterday. Eventually, something went right and I got back into my Windows. I was able to use it for about 6 hours,and I saved all my most important files onto a USB.. Like most here, I have an ASUS notebook Core i3 that came with Windows 8 already installed and did not come with a CD for the operating system in the box. I'm no techy, so I've learned everything from these types of forums. The thing I don't understand is why would my system come back up then go down saying there's a partition missing and how do I fix this? Please help
m
0
l
September 2, 2014 5:20:01 PM

I'm having this issue. Any updates?

Noah9001 said:
Now says 'repairing disk errors. This may take over an hour to complete' I will leave it over night. (10.27 where I am) and see in the morning. If nothing I will ask for further instructions.


m
0
l
September 11, 2014 3:19:33 PM

Zeecee said:
I'm having this issue. Any updates?

Noah9001 said:
Now says 'repairing disk errors. This may take over an hour to complete' I will leave it over night. (10.27 where I am) and see in the morning. If nothing I will ask for further instructions.




I just encountered the same problem on my laptop. I removed the battery, waited 30 seconds, reinserted the battery, and Win8 started normally.
m
1
l
September 18, 2014 6:47:55 AM

christinez said:
I was having a similar problem. Blue error screen, preparing to autorepair then black screen loop.

I used the Acer hotkeys for factory restore and was able to get back in. Push Alt and F10 while turning on your computer. If you have another type of laptop like HP you need to look up the factory reset hotkeys and push those while turning on the laptop

From my experience (Acer aspire laptop) It should say "Please Wait" instead of "preparing for autorepair" Then you will have to choose a language. After that I got 3 options: 1. Continue to Windows 2. Troubleshoot 3. Shutdown. I chose #1 and just went through to Windows and then my laptop seemed to work as normal.

Beware that if you go into factory reset, (I just found this in another forum), but as far as I understand, THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR ALL OF YOUR FILES TO BE WIPED CLEAN USING THIS METHOD (especially if you do a factory reset). I was lucky and just continuing through option #1 worked and everything was pretty much still there but just BEWARE that this may not always be true, especially if you choose option 2.

Hope this helps someone!


I just tried this and it didnt work, ive also tried everything else in these reply threads and nothing has worked. Im getting frustrated and dont want to take it to a shop because it costs alot. I have an acer (not sure which one) and i get this exact thing, blue screen sad face, then to preparing automatic repair then to blank black screen, help??
m
0
l
October 15, 2014 7:29:55 PM

Noah9001 said:
Now says 'repairing disk errors. This may take over an hour to complete' I will leave it over night. (10.27 where I am) and see in the morning. If nothing I will ask for further instructions.

same things happening with me if you find a answer please let me know and yes its infinite

m
0
l
October 24, 2014 6:54:50 AM

Noah9001 said:
Now says 'repairing disk errors. This may take over an hour to complete' I will leave it over night. (10.27 where I am) and see in the morning. If nothing I will ask for further instructions.


I have the same problem with my PC, I has been like this for a good 10h.. Any suggestions ??
m
0
l
December 20, 2014 9:50:40 AM

My problem was for some reason reason it blue screened it switched boot devices and was trying to boot from my second hard drive instead of the windows partition. Being nothing was there other than the boot manager partition apparently it just got stuck in an infinate loop. Trying to repair the nonexistent windows partition.
m
0
l
September 23, 2015 8:08:16 PM

I had the same problem with my Asus notebook looping under Windows 10. I took out the battery as suggested above for 30 seconds and the notebook booted right up with no problems. Got to remember this!
m
0
l