£680 - $720 mini-itx mid-range gaming system

Scott Buchanan

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Hi all, I've been working on / tweaking this build for a month now and I'm ready to pull the trigger. Can anyone point out any glaring incompatibilities or parts that they've had an awful experience with?

I know I went on the very low-end price range for my memory, motherboard, and for my SSD. I also know that an SSD is not characteristic of a mid-range build, but I have never tried one and wanted to check it out. I never use much disc space (I have a server in my home) so it seemed well-suited.

I had originally gone 2x4GB for memory, but with the recent price-hike on memory it seemed I might as well upgrade to 2x8GB. Unfortunately I can't wait out the price hike as I have a LAN party to get to next week!

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Mlrm

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.79 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£53.99 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard (£68.73 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£60.95 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Verbatim 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£64.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card (£166.07 @ Aria PC)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Orange) Mini ITX Tower Case (£62.27 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre 97.8 CFM 230mm Fan (£12.90 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Arctic Cooling Arctic F14 77.3 CFM 140mm Fan (£7.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£47.93 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £710.55

Approximate Purchase Date: 28/3/13

Budget Range: £680 - £720 before rebates, after shipping.

System Usage: Gaming, Movies, Surfing and then everything under the sun.

Are you buying a monitor: No, already have one.

Do you need to buy OS: NO, using Windows 7 previously purchased through student discount.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference, just trustworthy.

Parts Preferences: No brand preference.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

marshallbradley

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Hello fellow Edinburgundian ;)

The first glaring mistake is that you can't really overclock on B75 chip-sets. Therefore you should really consider getting a Z77 motherboard, for example this one: Z77 Motherboard. If you don't want to overclock, then there's no point in buying a K series CPU or that water-cooler. Go with a 3470 or a 3350P, whichever you can get a good price on.

Speaking of water-cooling, pre-filled loops really aren't that good. It's really not worth getting a H60, even the H100 is worse than some top end air coolers. You'd be better of with the Noctua U9B (I actually have one in Edinburgh and could give you a good discounted price if you want lol). It's perfect for small form factor builds like that (not just trying to sell my stuff, promise!).

Although currently out of stock, there are still some £35 8gb kits out there, which is worth the money saved I think, for example these: Memory.

I really don't like XFX videocards, their cooler design is currently terrible (they are the cheapest everywhere for a reason). I had one before my current video-card, and it was so noisy I sold it on within a month. Also the 7870 XT is so close in price to the 7870 (with much better performance) you might as well get one: 7870 XT. There's also a slightly more expensive Sapphire Edition with better cooling, though it doesn't come with the games bundle (at least not from Amazon).

Lastly, although the SSD is cheap, you're better off getting a slightly higher quality one. The read and write speeds on the one you linked are pretty terrible, so it won't feel a zippy as you'd expect. This one is a quality unit at a fairly low price: SSD. If you save some money by going for the 8gb of RAM, this is where I'd put it back into the build.

As you can see I've picked all my parts from Amazon. Since you mentioned a trustworthy website, they are in my opinion the best for PC parts out there. The delivery is super fast, they never argue when you return an item, refund the stuff ASAP and have one of the largest catalogs. The only reason not to buy from them before was that they didn't offer the Never Settle bundle (which they now do on the card I linked), so stick to them if possible. There's not much point ordering from 3-4 different places, since Aria for example will charge you £6 or so for shipping, so once you factor in all the extra shipping cost caused by ordering from different places, you end up not really saving anything.

All the best,

M

Scott Buchanan

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
M, thanks so much for your reply. This is exactly what I was looking for and I made quite a few changes to the build based on your suggestions.

Done! I chose exactly that motherboard, great recommendation. This is exactly the kind of mistake I knew I'd make: I very much plan on overclocking down the line.

I'm going to take this suggestion mainly because it will save me nearly £30, to be reinvested elsewhere. The Bitfenix case is not lost for space above the motherboard BUT with the Noctua U9B I'll have to be careful that my memory's heat sink has a low profile. Hopefully you'll get back to me (very) soon about purchasing your cooler.

This situation seems to have changed. Memory prices have gone up even further since yesterday and any decent deals on 2x4GB involve a wait of 'months' or 'undetermined'. I'm still shopping around to see what I can get quickly.

And again I'm taking exactly the part you recommend. The sapphire one is definitely outside my range, especially with the more expensive memory, but the Club3D is perfect.

This is now a moot issue. I'm being lent a small HDD to use for a while, and I'm going to put off buying the SSD until I can properly invest in it. Thanks for the advice, else I would have gone ahead with buying the cheapo.

So here is what it looks like now:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MyeH

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.79 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler (£36.77 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard (£92.39 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Club 3D Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card (£171.62 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Orange) Mini ITX Tower Case (£62.27 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre 97.8 CFM 230mm Fan (£12.90 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Xigmatek CLF-F1452 60.5 CFM 140mm Fan (£9.07 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£49.59 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £601.40