Solved

what does the Gaming CPU Hierarchy Chart mean

my friend is using a core2quad 9650 coupled with a gtx550ti with 4gb ddr2 800mhz ram and a 1600x900p display my question s in the Gaming CPU Hierarchy Chart it' said I don’t recommend upgrading your CPU unless the potential replacement is at least three tiers higher. Otherwise, the upgrade is somewhat parallel and you may not notice a worthwhile difference in game performance.what does this the processor i mentioned is at 3rd tier as per my view so should i stay with my processor so that i can play all the latest games without any cpu bottleneck?
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming cpu hierarchy chart
  1. Best answer
    you mihgt have some bottle neck but your cpu is still very capable. i wouldn't worry.
  2. I use a q9550/775 for most of my gaming. usually a 6950 2gig card and 1920x1200 resolution. Until FarCry3 came along I had no problems with any game. I play it so infrequently I still haven't found the real reason it sputters"........ I assume cpu limitations. ( did not have problems with an 1155 quad core )
    You listed a lower resolution with a lesser card. how much that card holds you back I don't know, but I bet your cpu isn't.
  3. a very rough way of doing it also is to look at the other cpu's in your tier. fx-8120, core i7-860...those are fast and you are roughly matching their speed. your 550ti is lower than a 7770 which noone mates with a i7. you my friend can actually move up to 78xx 79xx territory with no bottleneck.
  4. BUT.....your x900 display will limit you. meaning a faster video card will render faster but you will waste fps. knowing that a 7950 can push a x1200 monitor at 30fps. price performance speaking.
  5. so in summary....your bottleneck is your resolution. fast cpu, slow gpu to compliment x900 gaming, low resolution/small monitor.
  6. ARICH5 said:
    so in summary....your bottleneck is your resolution. fast cpu, slow gpu to compliment x900 gaming, low resolution/small monitor.


    i'm saving money for upgrading to a newer platform for haswell i didn't think of the monitor since i found it good enough for my gaming and a small edit the cpu is core2quad q9550 not q9650 does it makes a huge difference?
  7. its a minor difference of 17mhz....its not noticable. your golden!
  8. atomicWAR said:
    its a minor difference of 17mhz....its not noticable. your golden!


    so i can stay with the same processor right.then i will save invest the saved money in a 1080p monitor
  9. yes exactly what i would do! good luck and thanks for the solution love!
  10. vishalaestro said:
    ARICH5 said:
    so in summary....your bottleneck is your resolution. fast cpu, slow gpu to compliment x900 gaming, low resolution/small monitor.


    i'm saving money for upgrading to a newer platform for haswell i didn't think of the monitor since i found it good enough for my gaming and a small edit the cpu is core2quad q9550 not q9650 does it makes a huge difference?


    did you read my post at all?
  11. swifty_morgan said:
    vishalaestro said:
    ARICH5 said:
    so in summary....your bottleneck is your resolution. fast cpu, slow gpu to compliment x900 gaming, low resolution/small monitor.


    i'm saving money for upgrading to a newer platform for haswell i didn't think of the monitor since i found it good enough for my gaming and a small edit the cpu is core2quad q9550 not q9650 does it makes a huge difference?


    did you read my post at all?



    yes my friend but most of the users say i can manage with this processor.
  12. vishalaestro said:
    swifty_morgan said:
    vishalaestro said:
    ARICH5 said:
    so in summary....your bottleneck is your resolution. fast cpu, slow gpu to compliment x900 gaming, low resolution/small monitor.


    i'm saving money for upgrading to a newer platform for haswell i didn't think of the monitor since i found it good enough for my gaming and a small edit the cpu is core2quad q9550 not q9650 does it makes a huge difference?


    did you read my post at all?



    yes my friend but most of the users say i can manage with this processor.


    GO BACK AND READ IT AGAIN..........
  13. swifty_morgan said:
    vishalaestro said:
    swifty_morgan said:
    vishalaestro said:
    ARICH5 said:
    so in summary....your bottleneck is your resolution. fast cpu, slow gpu to compliment x900 gaming, low resolution/small monitor.


    i'm saving money for upgrading to a newer platform for haswell i didn't think of the monitor since i found it good enough for my gaming and a small edit the cpu is core2quad q9550 not q9650 does it makes a huge difference?


    did you read my post at all?



    yes my friend but most of the users say i can manage with this processor.


    GO BACK AND READ IT AGAIN..........


    don't get angry.i will take your suggestion
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming CPUs