Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New Gamming/Editing Build: Almost Complete (LAST INQUIRY'S)

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 27, 2013 9:02:58 AM

Hello Community,
My Gamming but Mostly Editing Build is almost complete, based on the feedback
of two post's i made a while back, my build is in it's last stages.

My inquiry's were firstly: a build dedicated to editing/rendering and large storage for uncompressed recorded files and my extremely large iTune's of over 25,000 song's - mainly used for my editing purposes. ''AUDIO and VIDEO''

secondly: 60+FPS high graphical gamming and high resolution's 2540x1440.

thirdly: i choose the case for it's roomy space. ''so i can expand in the future or build an entirely diffrent PC years from now.
enough room for anything really.

also on a side note, the cooling on this thing is superb!
fans fans fans fans fans fans fans! and anything else i can throw in it.
even got a water cooler for the CPU... for a little overclocking room.

the specs of this build so far --- (with prices)

====

CASE : ROSEWILL|BLACKHAWK-ULTRA RT | $267.79
PSU : CORSAIR | AX1200I 1200W RT | $335.59
HDD: 3TB| 7500RPM 64MB | $177.73
HDD: 2TB| 7500RPM 64MB | 89.99
CPU : COOLER: CORSAIR H80i | $107.99
CPU : AMD FX-8350
Memory : G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz | $204.00
OPTICAL DRIVE: ASUS Internal 24x DVD Writer | Black |19.99
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 64GB SATA 6GB/s Read: 460MB/s, Write: 220MB/s | $84.99
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 Socket AM3+ DDR3 2000 (O.C) MHz | $164.99

HST and Shipping: $273.38 +

now of corse the OS will be (WINDOWS 7 Ultimate 64bit)
and the sound card (ASUS Xonar Essence STX)

those are already decided on.

the part i need the community's help with! is GPU oriented.

the three choices i have down are:
GTX 680 4GB Classified: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=73459&vpn=04G%2DP4%2D...
GTX 680 4GB FTW: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=71943&vpn=04G%2DP4%2D...

the 4GB's for high resolutions and a little future proofing.
aswell as opening up the capability's of the GPU for
HD Mods and what not.
the SKYRIM HD mods for example, i heard someone use 3.8GBs of there GPU with these mods.

the overclocking of the GPU is my resistance to buying a titan.
the gtx 680 was the worlds fastest single GPU at one point and then the TITAN
took it's place.
i wanted to get the titan, my choice of CPU would work so much better with a 680, less bottlenecking and will be making for use of the 8 cores depending.
(matter of opinion) ''don't get mad and say intel is better... i know intel is better but my budget played a roll in this choice, and when game's start making more use of the 8 cores i will be in a good position.
now i hope to be in the same position with my choice of GPU.
i can afford a $1000.00 GPU but another reson i sacrifice the TITAN is
for the SOUND CARD.
it was either the TITAN or the 2nd fastest( GTX 680 ) and a top of the line Sound Card.
so the sound card applying to the (editing first) and (gamming second)
not that the sound card won't make gamming more enjoyable aswell ; )

SO! whitch GPU will seal the DEAL!

if you have any other sugesstions or opinion's please voice them.
''GPU oriented''
will much appriciate the help anyone gives on the subject of GPU thanks.








March 27, 2013 9:24:55 AM

oi.
the titan is a gimmick by nvidia...it was a showpeice to show off as a gpu for "look what we can do" and never intended as a "real" gpu for builders. 2 690's in sli destroyed it. and 1 690 was within 10fps. a darn waste of 1000$ if ya ask me. and in 16 months when the new tech comes out youll be crying " why did i buy this?"
m
0
l
March 27, 2013 9:27:47 AM

ARICH5 said:
oi.
the titan is a gimmick by nvidia...it was a showpeice to show off as a gpu for "look what we can do" and never intended as a "real" gpu for builders. 2 690's in sli destroyed it. and 1 690 was within 10fps. a darn waste of 1000$ if ya ask me. and in 16 months when the new tech comes out youll be crying " why did i buy this?"


well the choices i have listed are 680s ...
m
0
l
Related resources
March 27, 2013 9:49:01 AM

I think you have your priorities a bit off.
My thoughts:

1. With your budget, and primarily a editing/rendering pc, you should be spending first on the most competent cpu you can find. The FX-8350 @$190 is not bad; it is the best AMD has to offer, and reasonable for your needs.
But, with your budget, you can do better. A 3770K @$320, or best of all, a 3930K 6 core @$600.

2. For your main question, the GPU, I think you would find a GTX680 to do very well with any single graphics card. If you think Skyrim needs more vram, you are more knowledgeable on that than me. I would not plan on getting much from overclocking. Card vendors bin their chips and sell the best ones in factory overclocked versions for a bit more. Get one of those, perhaps the FTW version. I love the titan, but at $1000, the price is too high. But, if you will be gaming on triple monitors, it might be worth it.

3. Onboard HD 7.1 sound is very good. I might defer on a discrete sound card. You can always add one later.

4. On newegg, the case is only $180: $ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

5. A 64gb ssd is too small, get 120gb. A ssd will slow down as it fills up, and there are lots of things that want to go on the "C" drive. I prefer Intel or Samsung for reliability.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/881-7/components-ret...
6. Is there some necessary feature of windows ultimate that pro does not give you?

7. A GT680 or even titan will be very happy with a 600w psu. Buy only top quality. Seasonic is always good.
Their X750 gold unit is on sale for $99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

8. In a large case like yours, I would prefer a Noctua NH-D14 or phanteks air cooler. It will run quieter, cool about as well, be cheaper, and less reliable.
Too many tales of liquid coolers leaking an ruining everything.
m
0
l
March 27, 2013 9:50:17 AM

Quote:

now of corse the OS will be (WINDOWS 7 Ultimate 64bit)
and the sound card (ASUS Xonar Essence STX)


You're throwing money away on a sound card - especially a $180 one like the Asus Xonar, and Windows 7 Ultimate is a gigantic waste of money if you don't have it already. Pro will handle everything you need if you don't need what Home Premium offers.

Quote:

i can afford a $1000.00 GPU but another reson i sacrifice the TITAN is
for the SOUND CARD.
it was either the TITAN or the 2nd fastest( GTX 680 ) and a top of the line Sound Card


Both things ARE WASTES OF MONEY! I can't emphasize what a wasted purchase a sound card is. You only need one for audio production or you're running more than a 7.1 channel setup (most aren't) but for a 2.1 or a 5.1 they are simply not needed. Again, I can't stress enough how much you are wasting money in this area.

Quote:
the 4GB's for high resolutions and a little future proofing.


You will never be able to completely future proof a build, ever. The only way to do so is to keep all your expansion options open and to be able to evolve your build as you go along. That is the only way to ensure your build's longevity. Planning for software that doesn't exist or plan to dump your hardware in a year is not the way to go about building a system.

Quote:
5. A 64gb ssd is too small, get 120gb. A ssd will slow down as it fills up, and there are lots of things that want to go on the "C" drive. I prefer Intel or Samsung for reliability.


I'll veto Intel SSDs every single time - I had one, it was a total disaster, had nothing but problems with it. It would freeze and crash left and right, BSODs, wouldn't register Windows updates, you name it. I have a Crucial M4 - no problems. OCZ Vertex 4 - no problems. Samsung 830 - no problems.

That build looks pretty decent. For any sort of gaming though I'd go Intel - there is ZERO reason to purchase an AMD FX on your budget: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=697

You also don't want a 64GB or less SSD, that will barely hold a Windows installation anymore.

For your budget I would suggest this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($142.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($103.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1594.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-27 12:49 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
March 27, 2013 10:03:08 AM

graphics cards are what i wanted an opinion on, i lready hove everything besides the GPU.
so GPU was what i was asking about.
not that i don't appriciate the build you put together, or the SSD 64Gb comment.
i agree a bigger SSD would of been better, and an i7 aswell.
but for what i have already, i need GPU Advice!
m
0
l
March 27, 2013 10:04:12 AM

Benchmarks are so hard to find with the AMD FX-8350 on a FTW 680 and classified 680.
m
0
l
March 27, 2013 10:05:46 AM

geofelt said:
I think you have your priorities a bit off.
My thoughts:

1. With your budget, and primarily a editing/rendering pc, you should be spending first on the most competent cpu you can find. The FX-8350 @$190 is not bad; it is the best AMD has to offer, and reasonable for your needs.
But, with your budget, you can do better. A 3770K @$320, or best of all, a 3930K 6 core @$600.

2. For your main question, the GPU, I think you would find a GTX680 to do very well with any single graphics card. If you think Skyrim needs more vram, you are more knowledgeable on that than me. I would not plan on getting much from overclocking. Card vendors bin their chips and sell the best ones in factory overclocked versions for a bit more. Get one of those, perhaps the FTW version. I love the titan, but at $1000, the price is too high. But, if you will be gaming on triple monitors, it might be worth it.

3. Onboard HD 7.1 sound is very good. I might defer on a discrete sound card. You can always add one later.

4. On newegg, the case is only $180: $ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

5. A 64gb ssd is too small, get 120gb. A ssd will slow down as it fills up, and there are lots of things that want to go on the "C" drive. I prefer Intel or Samsung for reliability.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/881-7/components-ret...
6. Is there some necessary feature of windows ultimate that pro does not give you?

7. A GT680 or even titan will be very happy with a 600w psu. Buy only top quality. Seasonic is always good.
Their X750 gold unit is on sale for $99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

8. In a large case like yours, I would prefer a Noctua NH-D14 or phanteks air cooler. It will run quieter, cool about as well, be cheaper, and less reliable.
Too many tales of liquid coolers leaking an ruining everything.


can i not just use the 64GB for OS and not simply download every software and or game onto a HDD?


m
0
l
March 27, 2013 10:07:33 AM

Sleepyhead Media said:
graphics cards are what i wanted an opinion on, i lready hove everything besides the GPU.
so GPU was what i was asking about.
not that i don't appriciate the build you put together, or the SSD 64Gb comment.
i agree a bigger SSD would of been better, and an i7 aswell.
but for what i have already, i need GPU Advice!


Go with a GTX 670 then. But the sound card is a waste of money - a better pair of speakers or a better display would be a much wiser investment.

Quote:
Benchmarks are so hard to find with the AMD FX-8350 on a FTW 680 and classified 680.


You'll never find manufacturer specific benchmarks - just because there's too many out there. You'll only find general benchmarks specific to that graphics processor.
m
0
l
March 27, 2013 10:15:56 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Sleepyhead Media said:
graphics cards are what i wanted an opinion on, i lready hove everything besides the GPU.
so GPU was what i was asking about.
not that i don't appriciate the build you put together, or the SSD 64Gb comment.
i agree a bigger SSD would of been better, and an i7 aswell.
but for what i have already, i need GPU Advice!

nice solution, and i had not noticed the rose is a copy, looks so close.
the gpu has to be a 680, not sure i agree with a 670 .
Go with a GTX 670 then. But the sound card is a waste of money - a better pair of speakers or a better display would be a much wiser investment.

Quote:
Benchmarks are so hard to find with the AMD FX-8350 on a FTW 680 and classified 680.


You'll never find manufacturer specific benchmarks - just because there's too many out there. You'll only find general benchmarks specific to that graphics processor.


Noob12 said:
It is too much PSU, memory.video card power in this build.
Take 7970 or two. 16GB memory is ebough. If not buy more if you need.
1200w PSU ? Buy 750w seasonic x and it gives over 900w to 100% load.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Save in some parts and buy bigger SSD , better case- that rosewil looks like a copy of enermax fulmo gt
Better SSD is samsung 128 or 256GB 840 PRO or OCZ vector.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fulmo-gt-thor-v2-vh...

Maybe a silverstone?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPqpE1Gv2eI

I wold go with the intel CPU but maybe AMD is good to this build. Intel just is better more power out of same wattage used. I do not see any point to buy 8 core VPU that is slower than 4 core intel. maybe that just me.




m
0
l
March 27, 2013 10:17:54 AM

too many quots on top of quotes.
basicly, the 680 at 4GB is got to be it.
is the base overclock for the FTW+ and the classified goin to reck it's long term life?
m
0
l
March 27, 2013 10:57:29 AM

Sleepyhead Media said:
too many quots on top of quotes.
basicly, the 680 at 4GB is got to be it.
is the base overclock for the FTW+ and the classified goin to reck it's long term life?


Yeah I really hate this feature of the new boards, I try to delete as many of them as I can.
m
0
l
March 27, 2013 11:20:47 AM

I really can't get behind the AMD CPU on any build over $800 and a lot of the other choices are not where I'd go, especially the "old" MoBo.

That being said, you asked for specific advice on GFX cards and Id take the Classified over the other one .... outside the limitations of what you listed, Id take the Asus 670 DCII

m
0
l

Best solution

March 27, 2013 11:24:57 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
I really can't get behind the AMD CPU on any build over $800 and a lot of the other choices are not where I'd go, especially the "old" MoBo.

That being said, you asked for specific advice on GFX cards and Id take the Classified over the other one .... outside the limitations of what you listed, Id take the Asus 670 DCII



I completely agree there, but I would go for the Gigabyte Windforce 3X over the Asus DCII any day of the week.
Share
!