back up image of windows 7

hello, so im selling my computer and i want to make an image backup of windows 7. i did it once before but i would like to do it again. how many times can i essentially copy one license of windows 7 and move it to another computer?,fyi, i would be installing it on a SSD drive. I would be giving the first disk to the buyer of my computer can i or should i do that as well?
Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about back image windows
  1. You can only use one license per PC.

    If you want to backup the system to an image read this:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/back-up-your-programs-system-settings-and-files
  2. That's not legal per say. You can only have that OS on one computer at a time. Also, odds are the image won't work on another computer as windows will have the drivers for the old motherboard. You will need to clean install the OS.
  3. Hawkeye22 said:
    That's not legal per say. You can only have that OS on one computer at a time. Also, odds are the image won't work on another computer as windows will have the drivers for the old motherboard. You will need to clean install the OS.


    It's legal if he uses a different key though. And yeah, it may not work properly.
  4. edogawa said:
    Hawkeye22 said:
    That's not legal per say. You can only have that OS on one computer at a time. Also, odds are the image won't work on another computer as windows will have the drivers for the old motherboard. You will need to clean install the OS.


    It's legal if he uses a different key though. And yeah, it may not work properly.


    What??? If it's an OEM version, it can't be used with another motherboard, period. If it's a retail version, it can be used/installed on one computer at a time. Using a differnt key is fine as long as he purchased that key. It's basically another purchased copy of windows.
  5. Hawkeye22 said:
    edogawa said:
    Hawkeye22 said:
    That's not legal per say. You can only have that OS on one computer at a time. Also, odds are the image won't work on another computer as windows will have the drivers for the old motherboard. You will need to clean install the OS.


    It's legal if he uses a different key though. And yeah, it may not work properly.


    What??? If it's an OEM version, it can't be used with another motherboard, period. If it's a retail version, it can be used/installed on one computer at a time. Using a differnt key is fine as long as he purchased that key. It's basically another purchased copy of windows.




    You technically can move one installation to another motherboard, but I don't think we can discuss that here. If he's using a different key it's no big deal imho.

    Mitrovah, you can purchase a new copy of Windows here too:

    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Professional-System-Builder-64-Bit/dp/B0094NXBZ0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1364507418&sr=8-2&keywords=windows+8+pro
Ask a new question

Read More

ISO Windows 7 Computers Backup