690 gtx - to go 2560 or not ?

rohanjune

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Hey guys, this is my first post here. Writing from Brooklyn!

So, at considerable cost, I just acquired an Alienware R4 , custom equipping it with an nvidia 690 gtx . I'm currently on a 1980x1080 monitor.

My question is, will this video card be good enough to power a 2560x1440 monitor? I'm talking all bell's and whistles turned on - I didn't drop $2600 to play half cocked!

I'm pretty confident that Battlefield 3 will be good to go, but what about Crysis 3 and Metro 2 ?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and i have 8g RAM, a i7 3820 CPU, and a 256g SSD.

Rohan

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
You should be able to run all games at max on that resolution, including Crysis 3. It MIGHT drop in fps at times, but for the most part, you should be good.

Also, you could have built that system for like $800 cheaper... now you know for next time...

rohanjune

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Hey Jones

Thanks for you reply.

Yeah, i know that going branded assembly is not the cheapest option, but I did some math and added together my component wishlist, and assembling it myself would have saved me aprox 200-400 dollars. I considered this the premium on the fact that this machine comes with a warranty, service, etc - even if it's not the best. Also, tho i've done tons of research, ive never ACTUALLY built one myself, and it would be an expensive experiment.

Anyone have some numbers, FPS on these titles?

R

In some situations. The GTX 690 is only a 2 GB GPU, it only utilizes one of the GPU's vram, so you can't really use all of the 4 GB. Games like Bioshock infinite and Crysis 3 use just about 2 GB of VRAM at 1080p, so upgrading to a screen with a higher resolution will consume more VRAM, which might give a bottleneck.
However there will be a lot of games you could play, at that resolution maxed out. When you bought such an expensive gaming machine, then I'd say you actually need to upgrade to a 2560x1440 monitor. Playing on 1080p with that machine is ridiculous!