Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Upgrade or Rebuild for DOTA2?

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 28, 2013 8:28:38 AM

http://imgur.com/l1AGIOB

This is my current system that I built in late 2009 and I need some help deciding what I should replace/upgrade. I want to play DOTA2 and maybe Diablo 3.

I'm comfortable with my current 1920x1080 monitor, keyboard, mouse, and computer case.

Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: $600 after shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, school

Are you buying a monitor: No



Parts to Upgrade: Not sure if I should upgrade everything or just focus on cpu/gpu/RAM with the old mobo? I would like a solid state HD.

Do you need to buy OS: I own windows 7 but need a new one if changing mobo?


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I love newegg but open to suggestions

Location: Orlando, FL

Parts Preferences: Not really

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe


And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: DOTA2 runs like crap on my current system

Thanks!

-Troy

More about : upgrade rebuild dota2

March 28, 2013 9:00:39 AM

Yeah, about the only thing worth doing on the old system is upgrading your GPU to something newer, but that still may not get you maxed out graphics in DoTA 2 and Diablo 3. Otherwise I think you're looking at a rebuild.

These are two sites that should help you build a $600 PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/ ...... http://www.logicalincrements.com/

I hope that helps, good luck!
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 9:13:18 AM

if you just like to play dota 2 @maxed settings on +30fps just get a 7750, 7770 or 7850 and you are done. my friend gets +40fps on maxed out graphics using a 6750, 4 GB ram and a similar CPU to yours. he plays at 720p.
PS: add me, my ID is pop in dota 2.

I forgot to check if your mobo is compatible with the new VGA don't forget to check that.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

March 28, 2013 9:22:48 AM

shahrooz said:
if you just like to play dota 2 @maxed settings on +30fps just get a 7750, 7770 or 7850 and you are done. my friend gets +40fps on maxed out graphics using a 6750, 4 GB ram and a similar CPU to yours. he plays at 720p.


For DoTA 2 that might be enough but it won't be for Diablo 3. Keep in mind your friend is also on a 720 monitor and the OP stated he's on a 1080. I played Diablo 3 on a computer a little better then the OP's and I couldn't quite max out the game on a 1080 monitor. I was using a Phenom 2 830 and an HD 6850 with 4 GB of RAM.

Also, don't get a HD 7850. Better off with a GTX 650 Ti Boost. 650 Ti Boost is cheaper and a little better in most cases. Tom's just did an article about it: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-650-ti-...
Share
March 28, 2013 9:27:23 AM

Kindredsouls said:
shahrooz said:
if you just like to play dota 2 @maxed settings on +30fps just get a 7750, 7770 or 7850 and you are done. my friend gets +40fps on maxed out graphics using a 6750, 4 GB ram and a similar CPU to yours. he plays at 720p.


For DoTA 2 that might be enough but it won't be for Diablo 3. Keep in mind your friend is also on a 720 monitor and the OP stated he's on a 1080. I played Diablo 3 on a computer a little better then the OP's and I couldn't quite max out the game on a 1080 monitor. I was using a Phenom 2 830 and an HD 6850 with 4 GB of RAM.


I don't play diablo 3 and I dont talk about it since I don't have an experience about it, I was talking about dota 2. if he needs more ram and a better CPU I guess he should do a rebuild then. He can make use of that PSU in his new build if it is any good.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overcloc...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pc-gaming-overclock...
Quote:
Also, don't get a HD 7850. Better off with a GTX 650 Ti Boost. 650 Ti Boost is cheaper and a little better in most cases.
+1
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 9:36:43 AM

You can still get a little better CPU and GPU. The only thing with rebuilding is not only do you have to get a new MB and CPU, in most cases, but a new OS, since they are tied to the Motherboards.
If you just want to upgrade, you can get a new GPU and add more RAM if you want. You don't have a horrible CPU, but there is one better.

If $600 is you budget, I'd recommend these

EVGA GTX 670
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The 670 wont be taken full advantage of since you only have a PCI 2.0 on your MB, but i only have 2.0 on mine to, its nothing to worry about.

Same RAM as what you already have, but would bump you up to 8gigs instead of 4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU(if you want a little more speed, but not needed,if you want, spend the extra on a 680 or 7970)

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Later if you actually decide to do a full rebuild you RAM, GPU, and PSU would fall right into the new system no problem, and your case could be reused to.
Obviously if you do a full rebuild, you would want a faster HDD, since yours is the SATA 3Gb, instead of the 6Gb, missing some speed there in itself.Plus a new MB and CPU, OS, GPU, and more RAM.

I'd stick to just upgrading the GPU and RAM and CPU( maybe).

Also, the price for all 3 of the parts listed, came to a total of $535 with shipping on Newegg
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 10:31:08 AM

Thank you all so much for the quick and insightful responses! http://www.logicalincrements.com/ is an awesome site but I have decided to stick with upgrading my GPU and RAM at this time. I went with the 650 Ti BOOST and 4gb more RAM :) 

Thanks again!
m
0
l
!