Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

2 Router setup

Last response: in Networking
Share
March 28, 2013 11:24:34 AM

Im trying to setup a second router with my current one. Im using a 2wire 2700hg-b as the main modem/router(at&t) isp. Im trying to connect a netgear wnr2000 with it. I know the basic setup but i just need the configuration/settings for each router.


P.S. Im installing this second router because my whole family uses the internet, or the same router. If i install the second one, and im the only one connected to it, will my internet differ. What are the affects if there are any.

More about : router setup

March 28, 2013 11:35:09 AM

Adding the second router will only make your network configuration more complicated. If you need more wired ports, just add a switch. Otherwise, just keep things easy and use one router (the data going in and out of your network will not change using one or two routers).
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 11:36:50 AM

You are trying to connect a router to an existing router and accomplish what exactly?
m
0
l
Related resources
March 28, 2013 11:43:56 AM

Enter netgear setup. Choose internet setup and set static IP adress. Enter adress in range of your main router (if main router has 192.168.1.1 adress just set 192.168.1.100 for netgear). Under subnet mask set 255.255.255.0, under DNS set IP of your main router and under Gateway adress of ISP set also IP of your main router. Under LAN options set DHCP on and make range like 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.254, also set your Local IP of netgear to 192.168.2.1.
Enable WLAN on netgear and set security. Don't forget to save settings.
NOW

Connect your 2700hg to netgear with ethernet cable ( 2700hg ethernet port - netgear internet port).
Now you'll have clean network which will operate good and fast.

Also this allows you to set parenting controls or QoS on netgear so you can give half bandwith to your family and everything else to you.. or any other ratio you wish. Also you can restrict access and stuff ;) 



m
0
l
March 28, 2013 11:54:29 AM

Feldmarschall said:
Enter netgear setup. Choose internet setup and set static IP adress. Enter adress in range of your main router (if main router has 192.168.1.1 adress just set 192.168.1.100 for netgear). Under subnet mask set 255.255.255.0, under DNS set IP of your main router and under Gateway adress of ISP set also IP of your main router. Under LAN options set DHCP on and make range like 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.254, also set your Local IP of netgear to 192.168.2.1.
Enable WLAN on netgear and set security. Don't forget to save settings.
NOW


Connect your 2700hg to netgear with ethernet cable ( 2700hg ethernet port - netgear internet port).
Now you'll have clean network which will operate good and fast.

Also this allows you to set parenting controls or QoS on netgear so you can give half bandwith to your family and everything else to you.. or any other ratio you wish. Also you can restrict access and stuff ;) 





Thank you very much, this is exactly what Ive been looking for. :) 
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 11:56:07 AM

No problem... post here if you have any troubles.
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 12:16:24 PM

Uhhhh, you could have done ALL of that with the same router. lol.

MAKE SURE YOU SET THE 2 WIRELESS FREQUENCIES TO SEPARATE CHANNELS!!!!!! Otherwise you'll have crazy bad interference in wifi.
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 12:18:11 PM

Feldmarschall said:
No problem... post here if you have any troubles.


can you clarify the settings of the router just a bit more. sorry im quite new to this

m
0
l
March 28, 2013 12:20:15 PM

ittimjones said:
Uhhhh, you could have done ALL of that with the same router. lol.

MAKE SURE YOU SET THE 2 WIRELESS FREQUENCIES TO SEPARATE CHANNELS!!!!!! Otherwise you'll have crazy bad interference in wifi.


If it could be done with one router, how? with the 2wire2700 hg-b. so one user gets a percentage of internet and the rest get the remainding percentage?
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 12:24:23 PM

lol, it's all done through QOS. I set it up on my ASUS RT-N66U. My Xbox and PS3 get highest priority (since I'm the only one who uses them in the house), and then I set my PC to get second priority on Internet traffic (since I game on it too - BF3), and everyone else gets next high priority. lol.

It pays to know these things ;) 
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 12:27:15 PM

ittimjones said:
Uhhhh, you could have done ALL of that with the same router. lol.

MAKE SURE YOU SET THE 2 WIRELESS FREQUENCIES TO SEPARATE CHANNELS!!!!!! Otherwise you'll have crazy bad interference in wifi.


VRewind said:
ittimjones said:
Uhhhh, you could have done ALL of that with the same router. lol.

MAKE SURE YOU SET THE 2 WIRELESS FREQUENCIES TO SEPARATE CHANNELS!!!!!! Otherwise you'll have crazy bad interference in wifi.


If it could be done with one router, how? with the 2wire2700 hg-b. so one user gets a percentage of internet and the rest get the remainding percentage?



No, you can't set that kind restrictions on just one router. You can use only QoS to set that games have priority but you can't separate clients. That's why you need another router who will think that your main router is internet gateway (service restrictions on routers apply to traffic that is coming through internet/wan port, they do not apply on traffic through LAN).

Now, what's creating you trouble? Have you configured NETGEAR?
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 12:35:20 PM

well, i can on my router.

idk about that one
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 12:35:29 PM

Feldmarschall said:
ittimjones said:
Uhhhh, you could have done ALL of that with the same router. lol.

MAKE SURE YOU SET THE 2 WIRELESS FREQUENCIES TO SEPARATE CHANNELS!!!!!! Otherwise you'll have crazy bad interference in wifi.


VRewind said:
ittimjones said:
Uhhhh, you could have done ALL of that with the same router. lol.

MAKE SURE YOU SET THE 2 WIRELESS FREQUENCIES TO SEPARATE CHANNELS!!!!!! Otherwise you'll have crazy bad interference in wifi.


If it could be done with one router, how? with the 2wire2700 hg-b. so one user gets a percentage of internet and the rest get the remainding percentage?



No, you can't set that kind restrictions on just one router. You can use only QoS to set that games have priority but you can't separate clients. That's why you need another router who will think that your main router is internet gateway (service restrictions on routers apply to traffic that is coming through internet/wan port, they do not apply on traffic through LAN).

Now, what's creating you trouble? Have you configured NETGEAR?


The settings for each router, so like the ip and stuff
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 12:39:33 PM

ittimjones said:
lol, it's all done through QOS. I set it up on my ASUS RT-N66U. My Xbox and PS3 get highest priority (since I'm the only one who uses them in the house), and then I set my PC to get second priority on Internet traffic (since I game on it too - BF3), and everyone else gets next high priority. lol.

It pays to know these things ;) 


Yours router supports this stuff, but that's not ordinary or cheap one. Haven't seen ISP that has provided such advanced router yet.
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 12:42:07 PM

aftermarket. i will nvr use an isp supplied router (or modem if I have to pay monthly for it)
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 12:44:53 PM

VRewind... connect Netgear and set local IP adress in LAN managment to 192.168.2.1

Turn on DHCP server

Turn on WLAN

Set WLAN security

Enter Internet connection on NETGEAR

Set STATIC IP (if your main router is 192.168.1.1 change only last number to 100 for example)
SUBNET MASK 255.255.255.0
INTERNET GATEWAY (IP of your main router)
DNS (either enter DNS of your internet service provider or enter IP of your main router)


Connect them like mentioned and should work fine. Then you can set QoS in Netgear and stuff.
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 12:56:25 PM

Feldmarschall said:
VRewind... connect Netgear and set local IP adress in LAN managment to 192.168.2.1

Turn on DHCP server

Turn on WLAN

Set WLAN security

Enter Internet connection on NETGEAR

Set STATIC IP (if your main router is 192.168.1.1 change only last number to 100 for example)
SUBNET MASK 255.255.255.0
INTERNET GATEWAY (IP of your main router)
DNS (either enter DNS of your internet service provider or enter IP of your main router)


Connect them like mentioned and should work fine. Then you can set QoS in Netgear and stuff.


GOT IT. for the QoS, do i just go to the priority list to set it up?

m
0
l
March 28, 2013 1:09:14 PM

Feldmarschall said:
VRewind... connect Netgear and set local IP adress in LAN managment to 192.168.2.1

Turn on DHCP server

Turn on WLAN

Set WLAN security

Enter Internet connection on NETGEAR

Set STATIC IP (if your main router is 192.168.1.1 change only last number to 100 for example)
SUBNET MASK 255.255.255.0
INTERNET GATEWAY (IP of your main router)
DNS (either enter DNS of your internet service provider or enter IP of your main router)


Connect them like mentioned and should work fine. Then you can set QoS in Netgear and stuff.


Now how do i do the whole QoS stuff for the bandwidth thing

m
0
l
March 28, 2013 1:23:20 PM

Turn on bandwith control and set uplink in 1/8 of bandwith you want to allow them (since you don't have standard download - upload limit control). This will cut download in aprox ratio cause download and upload are linked wit ack. You can go even further to set priorites of services and turning of ports so no can use torrent or simillar stuff.
m
0
l
!