Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need Help with 7870 xt Dual Monitor Setup - Thanks Everyone

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 28, 2013 5:17:37 PM

My graphic card is 7870 xt. And it has 1x dvi, 1x hdmi and 2x mini display port.

I am wanting to setup a second monitor but i can only do it through HDMI or a mini display port.

BOTH OF MY MONITORS ARE VGA *had a confusion here* sorry.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hx8t1fci_nY/UR5f1WdbNqI/AAAAA...

THIS IS MY GPU ^^^ and as you can see it only has 1 dvi so what do i use for second monitor?

The cables i have spare (so i can use them for second monitor) are vga to dvi and vga to hdmi.

So what adapter converter should i get?

a DVI to HDMI? converter? I'm guessing both my screens are analog.


I found this but i'm not sure if it will work? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150846305714?ssPageName=STRK:...
a b C Monitor
a c 164 U Graphics card
March 28, 2013 5:25:09 PM

Since both of your monitors are Analog(VGA), you will need an ACTIVE adapter that can convert the digital output of one of your ports(HDMI or DP) to analog. Those are quite expensive and hard to find. Its usually just a better idea to get a new monitor as old VGA monitors just are not a crisp and colourful as newer displays.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
a c 175 U Graphics card
March 28, 2013 5:33:58 PM

DVI from the GPU is usually come with both analog and digital signals. You should be fine with using the DVI to VGA adapter usually included in the GPU packet/box.

However the HDMI comes with only a digital signal. So using a normal adapter, it will only convert to DVI-D (not DVI-I, it does not come with an analog signal). DVI-D can't be converted to VGA unless you have an adapter which can transform it. They are really expensive and cost the same as one new monitor.

So I think the solution will be buying a new monitor. VGA is getting obsolete now and it is better to get an HDMI monitor or at least DVI.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2013 5:43:26 PM

hmmmm....and you checked in your CCC panel to ensure dual monitor is set up?
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 5:44:00 PM

Okay all good answers.

So what monitor should i buy as i'm wanting to upgrade in the future anyway but will have to stick to 1 monitor for now.

I am wanting a resolution of 1680x1050? or 1600x900? or 1400x900? (preferably 1680x1050 if possible) or 1600x900 if not then a 1400x900 is fine.

Please post a few if possible. Will spend upto £200 for 2 monitors which are the same size.

m
0
l
March 28, 2013 5:45:15 PM

atomicWAR said:
hmmmm....and you checked in your CCC panel to ensure dual monitor is set up?


Well i have tried detecting the monitor on the CCC but no luck it just stays blank. Gone through a few settings but i'm not sure if i have to download anything else or go into a specific setting as i had a gtx 260 before and that was simple plug and play.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2013 5:47:12 PM

yeah this is why i don't like amd for gpus....wonky drivers. i have had them in the past and when the run good they are awesome...when they don't they take years of my life with the stress of trying to fix 'em.
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 5:53:06 PM

atomicWAR said:
yeah this is why i don't like amd for gpus....wonky drivers. i have had them in the past and when the run good they are awesome...when they don't they take years of my life with the stress of trying to fix 'em.


Well since it's better to get a new monitor do you know what monitor i should get (what type of monitor i am looking for)? If not then hopefully someone else will answer :) 
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
a c 164 U Graphics card
March 28, 2013 5:56:22 PM

atomicWAR said:
yeah this is why i don't like amd for gpus....wonky drivers. i have had them in the past and when the run good they are awesome...when they don't they take years of my life with the stress of trying to fix 'em.


Facepalm... THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DRIVERS... Geez dude. No amount of drivers is gonna change a digital only output to an analog output... Seriously.

OP, for 200 Pounds you can get a really nice HDMI 1920*1080 monitor. You can even get a great ISP monitor.
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 6:04:44 PM

Novuake said:
atomicWAR said:
yeah this is why i don't like amd for gpus....wonky drivers. i have had them in the past and when the run good they are awesome...when they don't they take years of my life with the stress of trying to fix 'em.


Facepalm... THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DRIVERS... Geez dude. No amount of drivers is gonna change a digital only output to an analog output... Seriously.

OP, for 200 Pounds you can get a really nice HDMI 1920*1080 monitor. You can even get a great ISP monitor.


Okay. What Monitor am i looking for? or what is a good monitor to get? I haven't really had any monitors apart from the two i have at the moment.

What about this? Or is there anything better? http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO...

I am wanting 2 monitors so thats why i want 1680x1050 as it might be in my price range of £200 for 2 monitors but forget me and throw some ideas/monitors at me lol
m
0
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
a c 164 U Graphics card
March 28, 2013 6:05:50 PM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S24B300HL-23-6-inch-Wid...


There you go, a nice HD 1920*1080 23 inch display, with extra cash left for whatever you may need. Keep one of the VGA monitors for on the side and viola. Don't bother getting 2 screens of the same size and price unless you are planning to go eyefinity 3 screen gaming. 2 screen of different sizes works just fine.

For a 27 inch, here is a nice one :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-inch-Flat-Panel-Display/dp/B...
Share
March 28, 2013 6:12:41 PM

Novuake said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S24B300HL-23-6-inch-Wid...


There you go, a nice HD 1920*1080 23 inch display, with extra cash left for whatever you may need. Keep one of the VGA monitors for on the side and viola. Don't bother getting 2 screens of the same size and price unless you are planning to go eyefinity 3 screen gaming. 2 screen of different sizes works just fine.

For a 27 inch, here is a nice one :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-inch-Flat-Panel-Display/dp/B...


That second monitor looks amazing :love: 

But i could get 2 23.6" monitors if i save abit more.

Don't know what i would get.. :??: 

Haha i will have to think about this. Would my performance drop alot or just abit? I am using 1366x768 monitor at the moment. With default settings on CCC.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
a c 164 U Graphics card
March 28, 2013 6:38:02 PM

Janny1993UK said:
Novuake said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S24B300HL-23-6-inch-Wid...


There you go, a nice HD 1920*1080 23 inch display, with extra cash left for whatever you may need. Keep one of the VGA monitors for on the side and viola. Don't bother getting 2 screens of the same size and price unless you are planning to go eyefinity 3 screen gaming. 2 screen of different sizes works just fine.

For a 27 inch, here is a nice one :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-inch-Flat-Panel-Display/dp/B...


That second monitor looks amazing :love: 

But i could get 2 23.6" monitors if i save abit more.

Don't know what i would get.. :??: 

Haha i will have to think about this. Would my performance drop alot or just abit? I am using 1366x768 monitor at the moment. With default settings on CCC.


It takes a lot more GPU power to run HD, but it also looks A LOT better. Your GPU is not weak, you can stil run most games maxed out, with the exception of liek Crysis 3, BF 3 and FarCry3 for example.

You could always consider an OC if necessary.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
a c 114 U Graphics card
March 28, 2013 6:38:21 PM

My father actually has the second monitor linked. Looks quite good for the price. FAR better then the last asus IPS I tried(the LG can display many darker colors that seemed to just go away on the Asus I had used).

It DOES have ips glow, but they all seem to. as long as you are not staring at a black screen all the time, it's pretty good.

Also the super thin edges are fake, the screen actually has about 1cm of space on the edges(under what looks like the screen, but is just a plastic front) that are not actually part of the screen.

If IPS glow bugs you, you may be well served with a VA(pva/mva/ect) based screen as well.

IPS glow looks like THIS or THIS but personally I was more put off by the BAD dark color rendering of the screen in the image(100%(vs 25% for the other screen) brightness burns your eyes on light colors and looks like that on dark, The LG does NOT look this bad).
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
a c 164 U Graphics card
March 28, 2013 6:46:42 PM

nukemaster said:
My father actually has the second monitor linked. Looks quite good for the price. FAR better then the last asus IPS I tried(the LG can display many darker colors that seemed to just go away on the Asus I had used).

It DOES have ips glow, but they all seem to. as long as you are not staring at a black screen all the time, it's pretty good.

Also the super thin edges are fake, the screen actually has about 1cm of space on the edges(under what looks like the screen, but is just a plastic front) that are not actually part of the screen.

If IPS glow bugs you, you may be well served with a VA(pva/mva/ect) based screen as well.

IPS glow looks like THIS or THIS but personally I was more put off by the BAD dark color rendering of the screen in the image(100%(vs 25% for the other screen) brightness burns your eyes on light colors and looks like that on dark, The LG does NOT look this bad).


Nice comparison. My LG IPS does have a little bit of that glow to it. But not much. That seems extreme in the picture.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
a c 114 U Graphics card
March 28, 2013 6:54:29 PM

The pictures does a bit too much in the dark colors(the camera sees more then I can for sure).

In fact the Asus screen looks even worse in person(dark colors) . The glow was actually very distracting, but again, the dark colors are the real part that made me send it back.

Either way, The LG to my eyes looks better in that respect(and are cheaper too). I personally may have to stay with VA based panels(my current is getting old and I fear the day it fails(its cfl back light is just insanely hot running too. I think it just needs that much light for this screen type or something).).

Older IPS panels with the polarizer looked amazing.
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 7:04:19 PM

nukemaster said:
My father actually has the second monitor linked. Looks quite good for the price. FAR better then the last asus IPS I tried(the LG can display many darker colors that seemed to just go away on the Asus I had used).

It DOES have ips glow, but they all seem to. as long as you are not staring at a black screen all the time, it's pretty good.

Also the super thin edges are fake, the screen actually has about 1cm of space on the edges(under what looks like the screen, but is just a plastic front) that are not actually part of the screen.

If IPS glow bugs you, you may be well served with a VA(pva/mva/ect) based screen as well.

IPS glow looks like THIS or THIS but personally I was more put off by the BAD dark color rendering of the screen in the image(100%(vs 25% for the other screen) brightness burns your eyes on light colors and looks like that on dark, The LG does NOT look this bad).


Thanks for that comparison and yeah i guess that glow could put you off. I asked my friend what he thought about the monitors and he said to me why don't i just get a freeview TV? Would that be a good choice?

I don't have a TV at the moment and wouldn't mind watching TV sometimes instead of just being on the computer most of the time but the TV/monitor would need to work with PC aswell (HDMI to VGA?) or just (VGA to DVI). Thing is though what would be my second screen if i did get a TV? Aslong as the resolutions are the same and screen size is roughly the same.

If i shouldn't get a freeview TV and stick to normal monitors then its fine.

I saw this but i don't know if i should get a TV

http://www.directtvs.co.uk/Toshiba_22BL702B_22_Inch_fre...
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
a c 114 U Graphics card
March 28, 2013 10:13:00 PM

I have never used freeview. The only thing you have to watch out for when using a TV as a monitor is you can run into overscan/underscan issues. While many TV's can turn this off(if you can, you are good to go) and video cards are able to compensate(video card compensation is hit and miss from screen to screen), I generally just stick to a computer screen. In fact my screen is used as my tv anyway(sure its a small screen, but for the tv I watch, its gets the job done.).

The last option again would be to just get whatever adapter you need(if you have onboard video, you may be able to use it) for your current screen and keep an eye out for your next screen.

I always recommend looking in the stores at screens(tv/monitor) because everyone has a different preference.

TVs do have some advantages as well. The have better image filtering(de-interlacing/image smoothing) for being used as a TV vs using a computer screen. This applies mostly to standard definition channels, but it is something to know.
m
0
l
March 29, 2013 6:45:51 AM

nukemaster said:
I have never used freeview. The only thing you have to watch out for when using a TV as a monitor is you can run into overscan/underscan issues. While many TV's can turn this off(if you can, you are good to go) and video cards are able to compensate(video card compensation is hit and miss from screen to screen), I generally just stick to a computer screen. In fact my screen is used as my tv anyway(sure its a small screen, but for the tv I watch, its gets the job done.).

The last option again would be to just get whatever adapter you need(if you have onboard video, you may be able to use it) for your current screen and keep an eye out for your next screen.

I always recommend looking in the stores at screens(tv/monitor) because everyone has a different preference.

TVs do have some advantages as well. The have better image filtering(de-interlacing/image smoothing) for being used as a TV vs using a computer screen. This applies mostly to standard definition channels, but it is something to know.


Right. Well thanks for helping :)  I will go look at some in shops someday. If i do get monitors i will probably eventually go for 2x 24" 1920x1080 as it's not too small or too big :) 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006PEBUSQ/ref=noref...

that is probably the monitor i will get unless i find a better one.

Thanks for help
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
a c 114 U Graphics card
March 29, 2013 11:00:55 AM

My girl friend has the 22ich version of that screen(or close to it). S22B300. When I looked in the stores the 22 looked a bit better to me(but the color settings may have been messed with. I looked at a 24 right out of the box :)  vs the 22 that was already on display. Yes staples is VERY helpful when it comes to looking at screens :)  ), but at home everything is always brighter.

It was bright enough that using the eco mode to save power and dim the screen results in a FAR better day to day experience then the other screen she had(it was the Asus screen I had picked up for her, not me).

While TN panels do not have as good of color or viewing angles(The S22B300 is not too bad side to side and even above. below is bad, but imo that is the place to skimp as it will never be viewed from below), the seem to get better all the time. Again, every screen seems to look just a bit different making it hard to recommend without seeing one.
m
0
l
!