HD 7970 crashing Maximus V formula

kljin

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I've got my Sapphire HD 7970 OC edition for some months now, every thing working fine. I upgraded my rig to a maximus V formula mobo, 16gigs Gskill Xtreme 2400mhz, new ssd, intel core i7 3770k. Fresh windows 7 64bit install. Now every time i'm playing a game for 3-5 minutes it freezes. i press Ctrl alt Delete and i see for instance "Farcry 3 isn't responding anymore", i have the same problem with other games. When i'm just working in windows everything is ok. I didn't oc anything. I've tested all the new components on a other motherboard with this hd 7970 and the same drivers 13.1 and i have no problem, everything works perfect.
Is this a driver problem or is there a compatability problem with the motherboard since i've tested everthing else on my old mobo??? Anybody got an idea? THX

kljin

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

My psu: OCZ 700watt, same as in my old rig, it's the same problem when i'm using a xmp profile or not... The only thats is different is that im using an 8pins + 4pins (both) cpu power connector... I've also checked my temps and they seem to be ok. i will put my old ram in tonight and see if anthing changes but i doubt it as i checked the new ram in my old mobo and everthing was ok. I'm considering of selling my hd 7970 and changing to Nvidia tech...

kljin

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Yep, tested with the old ram and it's the same. However i fixed the problem, I disabled oc on the cpu and on the ram and no more error's. Must be something with to high temps...