FX-4100 Bottlenecking problem?

G

I've been thinking of getting an upgrade from my old HD 4850 to possibly an 7850 2gb or something around that range but I'm worried that my fx 4100 will be a bottleneck, if it is, would it be noticeable, or would a small multiplier overclock be able to fix the problem, or should I consider getting a GPU that's on par with the fx4100 ?

Ill only use this to play games, such as Witcher 2, Portal 2, Dues Ex Human Revolution, Batman Arkham city, Farcry3, Bioshock Infinite etc. I want to play these at high/max if possible, at a resolution of 1920x1080

system specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte M68MT-S2
CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.6ghz (stock fan)
GPU: HD-4850
RAM: 1x4 DDR3 1333Mhz
PSU: Crusade 750W Dual-Rail High Efficiency '80 Plus' Power Supply

any help will be appreciated.

technubcake

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
The fx-4100 will botteneck the GPU due to the poor single threaded performance but this depends on the game. Also overclocking your cpu a bit higher will help, but with the stock cooler it's not ideal. I really recommend the fx 6300, for the price... It's a complete beast. Also some of the games you've listed won't run at good framerates on high/ultra. Also with 4gb it's going to be a challenge. So either get a good aftermarket cooler and get a decent overclock and 8gb ram or get the 6300 and also upgrade to 8gb ram.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

G

Ok, but if I were to get an aftermarket heatsink/fan how much of an overclock would you think would be necessary?

technubcake

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Ok, but if I were to get an aftermarket heatsink/fan how much of an overclock would you think would be necessary?

I'm not a overclocking enthusiast or expert of any sort on this matter. You should really check out the overclocking section and ask there for a proper answer for that question. That's where I got help to overclock my processor. Although for an estimate, I'd say around 4ghz? But don't take my word for it. :??: