Are these normal temps? i5 3570k 4.5Ghz

Hey. I just OC'd my i5 3570k to 4.5Ghz and these are my temps while playing Black Ops 2 only. http://imgur.com/nbM48rq

Are these good temps? Should I underclock a little, or will I be able to push 4.6Ghz safely? My cooler is a cooler master hyper 212 evo
28 answers Last reply
More about normal temps 3570k 5ghz
  1. completly safe !! max is 105C and i recommend a max of 90 for all day usage, try for 4.6ghz if temps still on low 80, you're fine !!
  2. Those temps are fine, but run Prime95 for 30 mins, if it stays under 80C, then you are perfectly fine.
  3. Alright. One final question, what about OCing my Sapphire 7870 XT? What's an acceptable temp for that anyone know? I plan on OCing to around 1150-1200
  4. spawnkiller said:
    completly safe !! max is 105C and i recommend a max of 90 for all day usage, try for 4.6ghz if temps still on low 80, you're fine !!


    Do not listen to this advice. This'll kill your CPU prematurely.
    Especially since ambient temp fluccuates and your CPU will get even higher in the summer months.

    Novuake is right--you want to keep it at or below 80c at max.
    Do a full stress test (lin pack, prime95, Intel burn test), and if it exceeds 80, then undervolt/downclock/remount whatever you need to do to bring the temps down.
  5. techdude9 said:
    Alright. One final question, what about OCing my 7870 XT? What's an acceptable temp for that anyone know? I plan on OCing to around 1150-1200


    Those cards can run comfortably up to around 85.
    I prefer to keep mine at or below 80, since they'll raise the overall temp in the case, to include CPU temp, which is why you don't want to push any one component to max--it'll affect the others.
  6. aramisathei said:
    techdude9 said:
    Alright. One final question, what about OCing my 7870 XT? What's an acceptable temp for that anyone know? I plan on OCing to around 1150-1200


    Those cards can run comfortably up to around 85.
    I prefer to keep mine at or below 80, since they'll raise the overall temp in the case, to include CPU temp, which is why you don't want to push any one component to max--it'll affect the others.


    So I should OC my 7870 XT as high as I can till it hits below 80? Around the 70 mayb 60 degree mark i'll stop?
  7. Easily done apparently if you have a good card. What card is it exactly? Keep it under 90C under max load in Heaven Bench or similar stresstest.

    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1651/pg12/sapphire-hd-7870-xt-with-boost-tahiti-le-graphics-card-review-power-temps-noise-and-overclocking.html
  8. Novuake said:
    Easily done apparently if you have a good card. What card is it exactly? Keep it under 90C under max load in Heaven Bench or similar stresstest.

    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1651/pg12/sapphire-hd-7870-xt-with-boost-tahiti-le-graphics-card-review-power-temps-noise-and-overclocking.html


    Sapphire 7870 XT
  9. techdude9 said:
    aramisathei said:
    techdude9 said:
    Alright. One final question, what about OCing my 7870 XT? What's an acceptable temp for that anyone know? I plan on OCing to around 1150-1200


    Those cards can run comfortably up to around 85.
    I prefer to keep mine at or below 80, since they'll raise the overall temp in the case, to include CPU temp, which is why you don't want to push any one component to max--it'll affect the others.


    So I should OC my 7870 XT as high as I can till it hits below 80? Around the 70 mayb 60 degree mark i'll stop?



    Nope, graphcis cards are MUCH more heat resilient. You can hit 100C for short periods and the card will not even flinch.

    Like I said, keep it under 90. You can hit 1200+
  10. techdude9 said:
    Novuake said:
    Easily done apparently if you have a good card. What card is it exactly? Keep it under 90C under max load in Heaven Bench or similar stresstest.

    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1651/pg12/sapphire-hd-7870-xt-with-boost-tahiti-le-graphics-card-review-power-temps-noise-and-overclocking.html


    Sapphire 7870 XT


    Wel then the link I gave you is perfect for you.
  11. k, and back to the CPU real fast. So I shouldn't try and attempt 4.6Ghz?
  12. techdude9 said:
    k, and back to the CPU real fast. So I shouldn't try and attempt 4.6Ghz?


    Ofcorse you can. Just do I halfhour run of prime and check your temps first.
  13. Novuake said:
    techdude9 said:
    k, and back to the CPU real fast. So I shouldn't try and attempt 4.6Ghz?


    Ofcorse you can. Just do I halfhour run of prime and check your temps first.


    Not sure how to use prime95 and how it works. Can't I just open Core Temps and see my temp like I did in the screenshot I linked?
  14. techdude9 said:
    Novuake said:
    techdude9 said:
    k, and back to the CPU real fast. So I shouldn't try and attempt 4.6Ghz?


    Ofcorse you can. Just do I halfhour run of prime and check your temps first.


    Not sure how to use prime95 and how it works. Can't I just open Core Temps and see my temp like I did in the screenshot I linked?


    No, what Prime 95 does is it puts load on all your CPU cores, this helps you see if your CPU can stay within specific temps so that you don't have to worry about it when doing stuff since you tested it at max load beforehand.

    Download 64bit version here : http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

    Download 32bit version here : http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

    The download mirror are a bit down the page.

    You just run the green icon in the folder, select "just stresstesting". This will also pick up any instabilities in your system, giving you a better idea if you need more voltage or not. You did not research OCing at all??? LOL i remember helping you in a previous thread how to OC?

    What voltage are you currently using at 4.5? Or is it at auto?

    One more thing. Keep realtemp open and check you don't go too high, if you do, stop the test immediately.
  15. Nah, I never made a thread on how to OC, just finished my pc today. Anyways, i'm voltage locked, even after I unlock voltage control in MSI afterburner settings.
  16. techdude9 said:
    Nah, I never made a thread on how to OC, just finished my pc today. Anyways, i'm voltage locked, even after I unlock voltage control in MSI afterburner settings.


    You should still get a good OC without adding voltage. But prime is for your CPU OC.
  17. http://imgur.com/nBRsdIR this is at 4.6Ghz so far
  18. It's deff too high. Gonna underclock.
  19. techdude9 said:
    http://imgur.com/nBRsdIR this is at 4.6Ghz so far


    Yeah that is too hot, but you may be giving it too much voltage. What is your voltage set to in the BIOS? Try 1.28v at 4.6GHz.
  20. This seems better http://imgur.com/WA3fRG6

    Should I adjust the voltage a little more or leave it like this
  21. I'm using a gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H motherboard
  22. techdude9 said:
    I'm using a gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H motherboard


    Let it run longer. One 1024k pass is not enough to confirm stability.

    At least 30 mins.

    If it does not drop a thread, then drop more voltage. As low as you can get it and be stable.
  23. gucci
  24. techdude9 said:
    gucci


    Say what?
  25. Novuake said:
    techdude9 said:
    gucci


    Say what?

    Dunno got bored. Lolz
  26. Should I download catalyst 13.3 beta drivers? I'm using 13.1 atm. Someone said 13.3 beta drivers are mad glitchy and said it's not much more of a performance increase. Just tried running PlanetSide 2 and at first I was getting 90 fps and after 10 min dropped to 5-10.
  27. techdude9 said:
    This seems better http://imgur.com/WA3fRG6

    Should I adjust the voltage a little more or leave it like this


    Why dont run the latest Prime95 With avx? Version 27.9 if i'm remember right.
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel i5 Overclocking