Dell Insprion 530 Graphics Card Upgrade for Video editing only

Hi,

I have an older, unmodified Dell Inspiron 530 (not Slim version) and I'd like to upgrade the graphics card to be able to view full HD video at max setting (I have a 1080p capable monitor) and to edit AVC HD & MTS video files (amateur stuff, kids sports, event. etc.).

I've searched the posts on here pertaining to my setup but almost all get into some need for better game playing - I ONLY need it for HD Video viewing & editing as I do not play games on my system.

Stats for my unit are:

Dell Inspiron 530
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz
3 GB of Ram
Intel G33/G31 chipset

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give on upgrading my video card to a better one. I'd like to do it "plug & play" without having to replace the PSU and I'd like to keep it under $100. Again, I don't need the latest and greatest, just something that will allow me to view/work with HD video and give me a performance boost for a year or 2 until I get a whole new system.

Many thanks!!!
11 answers Last reply
More about dell insprion 530 graphics card upgrade video editing
  1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121639

    Low power consumption, got everything you need, and it's plug 'n' play for your system. No need for anything else.
  2. Feldmarschall said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121639

    Low power consumption, got everything you need, and it's plug 'n' play for your system. No need for anything else.


    Thanks for the quick reply and advice!

    I see that they also have a DDR5 version for only a few bucks more.....would I be better off with that?
  3. luckyram said:
    Feldmarschall said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121639

    Low power consumption, got everything you need, and it's plug 'n' play for your system. No need for anything else.


    Thanks for the quick reply and advice!

    I see that they also have a DDR5 version for only a few bucks more.....would I be better off with that?


    No. You won't notice a thing with DDR5 or DDR3 on these models but 25W in consumption could be noticed by your PSU :)
  4. Feldmarschall said:
    luckyram said:
    Feldmarschall said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121639

    Low power consumption, got everything you need, and it's plug 'n' play for your system. No need for anything else.


    Thanks for the quick reply and advice!

    I see that they also have a DDR5 version for only a few bucks more.....would I be better off with that?


    No. You won't notice a thing with DDR5 or DDR3 on these models but 25W in consumption could be noticed by your PSU :)


    Feldmarschall -

    Wow....I figured I'd have to wait a day or so for an answer and you respond lightning quick....Thanks!

    After I posted to your original response i poked around the net a little more and saw that the HD 6670 was also an option. In your opinion, between that and the GT 630 would the GT 630 still be the top choice for my needs?

    Thanks again.
  5. luckyram said:
    Feldmarschall said:
    luckyram said:
    Feldmarschall said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121639

    Low power consumption, got everything you need, and it's plug 'n' play for your system. No need for anything else.


    Thanks for the quick reply and advice!

    I see that they also have a DDR5 version for only a few bucks more.....would I be better off with that?


    No. You won't notice a thing with DDR5 or DDR3 on these models but 25W in consumption could be noticed by your PSU :)


    Feldmarschall -

    Wow....I figured I'd have to wait a day or so for an answer and you respond lightning quick....Thanks!

    After I posted to your original response i poked around the net a little more and saw that the HD 6670 was also an option. In your opinion, between that and the GT 630 would the GT 630 still be the top choice for my needs?

    Thanks again.


    If you are going to choose radeon then go for version that has GDDR5 (so at least you could say it's 3% faster than GT630 GDDR3).

    But it's really not of importance. Nvidia has much better support, esspecially for drivers, while on the other hand AMD is cheaper.

    BOth will perform your taks, and both are compatible with your rig.

    So, pick your poison ;)
  6. Feldmarschall said:
    luckyram said:
    Feldmarschall said:
    luckyram said:
    Feldmarschall said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121639

    Low power consumption, got everything you need, and it's plug 'n' play for your system. No need for anything else.


    Thanks for the quick reply and advice!

    I see that they also have a DDR5 version for only a few bucks more.....would I be better off with that?


    No. You won't notice a thing with DDR5 or DDR3 on these models but 25W in consumption could be noticed by your PSU :)


    Feldmarschall -

    Wow....I figured I'd have to wait a day or so for an answer and you respond lightning quick....Thanks!

    After I posted to your original response i poked around the net a little more and saw that the HD 6670 was also an option. In your opinion, between that and the GT 630 would the GT 630 still be the top choice for my needs?

    Thanks again.


    If you are going to choose radeon then go for version that has GDDR5 (so at least you could say it's 3% faster than GT630 GDDR3).

    But it's really not of importance. Nvidia has much better support, esspecially for drivers, while on the other hand AMD is cheaper.

    BOth will perform your taks, and both are compatible with your rig.

    So, pick your poison ;)


    One last question ( I promise) - Any preference to the Asus vs the EVGA version? Amazon has it for $5 more (free ship, no tax):

    http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-2048MB-Graphics-02G-P3-2639-KR/dp/B008Y8PON8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364658094&sr=1-1&keywords=EVGA+GeForce+GT+630+2mb

    THANK YOU!
  7. As i am considered not so ever. Buy which ever you want. There is no real differnce between those :)
  8. Inspiron 530 Mini Tower has 300 watt power supply which will support anything, which doesn't require additional 6 pin power supply connector - it will support all NVIDIA 600 family up to 650 (there is 1 model which will work), all 7750 and 6670 models no exceptions. Those cards in US usually top at about $110 or so.
  9. Here's a quote from the post I made on your other thread where you basically asked the same thing since I see that you are getting allot of misinformation here about Nvidia for Video editing.
    Quote:
    1st some things to consider: I upgraded an old Dell Dimension 4700 a few years ago Here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/332610-28-dell-dimension-4700-upgrades

    There is nothing wrong with trying to breath new life into an old dying dinosaur as long as you stick to hardware that will still be relevant in a new build/motherboard (since you could reuse your case) or you will just be throwing good money after bad.

    Your Motherboard has the 1st gen PCIe slots and most new video cards have PCIe 3.0. This isn't as bad as it looks since they really don't make use of the better 3.0 yet and while your PCIe 1.0 will be a bottleneck for the video cards I will recommend they will still perform well. Certainly better than what you have and when you do upgrade your motherboard they will be able to reach their full potential.

    Not upgrading your PSU is unrealistic if you want a decent video card. The good news is that any standard ATX PSU should fit your case and they are cheep. For the cards I'm recommending you should get at least a 400w psu. When I upgraded my old dell I went with a 650w PSU for future upgrade-ability but, for many up grade paths a 400w will do. It just depends on you future plans.

    Lastly, since you have an interest in editing I will not be recommending any Nvidia cards. Nvidia used to be the card to have when it came to editing. This is no longer the case. While Compute used to be one of Nvidia's strong points. They say they moved away from it on their 600 series cards to focus more on gaming which I think is a mistake. On the other hand the new AMD 7000 series cards have improved in this area to the point that Nvidia now does so bad in this category that even the cheapest AMD 7000 series card will beat the best 600 series Nvidia card in any compute type benchmarks that aren't directly related to gaming.

    Although Adobe still doesn't support AMD compute (openCL) for PC's, the newer Nvidia cards are almost as useless with adobe support and Adobe Premiere Pro and AMD have teamed up to bring support for the open standard to Windows with the software's next version.
    Articles: http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/06/adobe-premiere-pro-windows-opencl-support/
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6881/opencl-support-coming-to-adobe-premiere-pro-for-windows
    So IMO AMD is the only reasonable choice for your new card.


    Here's the recommendations
    For video cards:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161427
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202021
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127709
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125453
    These are all good Radeon HD 7750 2GB cards @ $99.99

    For Power Supply :
    What you need
    CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX @ $39.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

    What I bought
    CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX @ $89.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
    There are plenty of good choices in between these two as well.

    I hope I wasn't to late to help.
    Good luck!:D


    Here are some benchmarks: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-650-ti-benchmark-gk106,3318-14.html
  10. In this case I would recommend PowerColor AX7750 4GBK3-H Radeon HD 7750 4GB, if card needed for all purposes,but not for gaming this would be the best choice to work on the existing power supply. 400 watt requirement is a joke, since PCIE slot can not physically provide more than 75 watt and this card doesn't have supplementary 6 pin power connector http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131486&IsVirtualParent=1
  11. Kisianik said:
    In this case I would recommend PowerColor AX7750 4GBK3-H Radeon HD 7750 4GB, if card needed for all purposes,but not for gaming this would be the best choice to work on the existing power supply. 400 watt requirement is a joke, since PCIE slot can not physically provide more than 75 watt and this card doesn't have supplementary 6 pin power connector http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131486&IsVirtualParent=1

    Only problem with that card are the reviews, Otherwise it looks nice.
    I recommended the PSU to be on the safe side and also for a complete future upgrade. You may be right for now but, I've run into issues burning out PSU's that used around 2/3rds of there rated maximum on a regular basis.

    Buy the way I've answered on that 4700 thread. :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Editing Dell Video Dell Inspiron Graphics Cards HD Graphics