Solved

with ASRock 970 Extreme3

Hi everyone!
I have a question, is posibble to use AMD Phenom X4 9850 2.5 GHz Quad-Core (HD9850XAJ4BGH) Processor, with ASRock 970 Extreme3 Motherboard SOCKET AM3+ AMD 970 ATX, or with any motherboard that support am3? also i want to know witch is the better DDR3 mobo for this CPU.

I know here exist lot of similar questions about Phenom X4 compatibility but in no one i got clear about in witch mobo I cant use my CPU, as i understood AM2, AM2+, AM3, and Am3+ are same socket but i don't know if i can use my CPU in am3 or am3+ mobo.

Thanks
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about asrock 970 extreme3
  1. A Phenom X4 9850 only has a DDR2 memory controller, so it won't work with a DDR3 motherboard. The sockets aren't quite the same, but there's some cross compatibility, mostly backward compatibility for newer processors in old sockets, rather than older processors in new sockets.
  2. ASRock didn't include AM2/+ backwards compatibility with that motherboard. Since it's not on their CPU Support List, I would say that it wont work on that motherboard.

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme3/?cat=CPU

    Best RAM depends on which chip you are going to use. For a Phenom II I would stick with 1333MHz/1600MHz, with a AM3+ chip you could benefit slightly from 1866MHz. AMD chips typically benefit more from tighter timings than higher RAM speeds. Get a good quality CL8 1600MHz kit if you can.
  3. ok, guys but what would be the best and newest mobo i can get for this CPU?
  4. Well you'll have a hard time finding a new AM2+ motherboard. Best bet is finding one in the classifieds or on eBay.

    I have one or two AM2+ boards around here somewhere I could possibly sell. PM if you're interested.

    But more importantly, which parts do you already have and which parts do you need?
  5. stickg1 said:
    Well you'll have a hard time finding a new AM2+ motherboard. Best bet is finding one in the classifieds or on eBay.

    I have one or two AM2+ boards around here somewhere I could possibly sell. PM if you're interested.

    But more importantly, which parts do you already have and which parts do you need?


    I have a AMD Phenom X4 9850 2.5, and everything for pc except MOBO that i would like to get the better choice possible even if i have to buy DDR3 memory, i would like to get this MOBO http://www.msi.com/product/mb/NF750-G55.html but i cant find it anywhere, I think i gonna have to buy a newest CPU :(
  6. stickg1 said:
    ASRock didn't include AM2/+ backwards compatibility with that motherboard. Since it's not on their CPU Support List, I would say that it wont work on that motherboard.

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme3/?cat=CPU

    Best RAM depends on which chip you are going to use. For a Phenom II I would stick with 1333MHz/1600MHz, with a AM3+ chip you could benefit slightly from 1866MHz. AMD chips typically benefit more from tighter timings than higher RAM speeds. Get a good quality CL8 1600MHz kit if you can.


    I'm also interested in "backward compatibility", because that mean i would use newest MOBO but how can i know for witch one is this option available for the model i want?
  7. Best answer
    bunbury911 said:
    stickg1 said:
    ASRock didn't include AM2/+ backwards compatibility with that motherboard. Since it's not on their CPU Support List, I would say that it wont work on that motherboard.

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme3/?cat=CPU

    Best RAM depends on which chip you are going to use. For a Phenom II I would stick with 1333MHz/1600MHz, with a AM3+ chip you could benefit slightly from 1866MHz. AMD chips typically benefit more from tighter timings than higher RAM speeds. Get a good quality CL8 1600MHz kit if you can.


    I'm also interested in "backward compatibility", because that mean i would use newest MOBO but how can i know for witch one is this option available for the model i want?


    It doesn't work like that. You can use an AM3 chip in an AM2+ motherboard if you have the BIOS flashed for compatibility. You can't take an AM3 board and use an AM2 chip. AM2 and AM3 CPUs have a built in memory controller. The AM2 chips work with DDR2 memory, AM3 boards use DDR3 memory. You won't find a board that can do this. You can find a AM2+ board that will work with an AM3 chip though. A lot of the AM3 chips were built to handle DDR2 and DDR3, but AM2 chips were not built to run DDR3.
  8. Well thanks all u guys, now i have to get a new CPU and new MOBO with just US$140 i hope i can get something cool arround, again thanks for ur time.
Ask a new question

Read More

ASrock Motherboards