Is 3860 Mhz with Intel boost as fast as 3860 Mhz without Intel boost?

Falconary

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I have overclocked my CPU to 3670 Mhz through the bios, see this pic -
http://i48.tinypic.com/25arpeb.jpg

The CPU base frequency (as you can see in the pic above) is as highest i can get while having everything else on stock settings (Intel power savings, EIST, Turbo boost, C1E, Hyper threading etc, are enabled in bios).

However, when i run CPU-Z and other CPU monitoring software such as AIDA64, the CPU clock goes up to 3860 Mhz under load, see this pic - http://i46.tinypic.com/6riljc.png

Is that because of the intel turbo boost? If so, is the performance with Inte turbo boost at 3860 Mhz as good as 3860 Mhz without turbo boost?

I thought of disabling intel turbo boost and try to clock the CPU to 3860 Mhz instead, but would it give me any performance increase with load?

Btw, the reason i have all the stock features enabled is because is dont want the CPU to run at maximum frequency all the time.

My Specs -
i7-860
MSI P55 GD-65

Falconary

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Ok, i thought turbo boost wasnt so optimal at 3.8 Ghz as without turbo boost at 3.8 Ghz. Are you sure that turbo boost shouldnt go above 3.46 Ghz? I thought that turbo boost just auto calculated the maximum frequency the pc can handle at certain volts, as if i overclocked to 4 Ghz with enough volts to even go to 4.4 Ghz, turbo boost would recognize that and overclock to 4.4 Ghz, thats what i been told by a friend :p

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
The difference is that turbo boost will only boost 1 core o 3.8Ghz. If you set your overclock to 3.8Ghz, all of your cores can overclock up to that, not just one. So you will get a performance improvement by disabling turbo boost and settings it up so that your clock is 3.8Ghz.

ericjohn004 is right. Boost doesn't give as big or as reliable performance increase as straight up overclocking. You should be able to set the clock to 3.8ghz for all cores underload and still have power saving throttle down the cores when you are idling the cpu if you are worried about the power consumption of 3.8ghz constant (like with all the power saving features disabled).