Solved

Can I run an Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 or an Ati Radeon HD 6790 On My Dell Optiplex 755?

Hi all. I am thinking of upgrading my machine and I am in a bit of a hurry and on a tight budget. I currently have a Dell Optiplex 755 with a Dell 0GM819 motherboard which I think has PCI-E 1.0 ( Do correct me If I am wrong) . I am currently stuck on 2 Graphics Cards that are in my budget. One is the Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 and the other is the Ati/AMD Radeon HD 6790. So I wanted to ask that which one of these 2 Graphics Cards will fit in my CPU Chassis and will work on PCI-E 1.0. I also plan on upgrading my PSU so can anyone please tell me a cheap but good PSU that will fit in my CPU Chassis and also handle these Graphics Cards.


P.S : Please Don't mind my English as English is not my mother language.
27 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about run nvidia geforce gtx 650 ati radeon 6790 dell optiplex 755
  1. Your English is pretty good. Anyway, I doubt that they'll work. The 650 and 6790 (Are you sure you don't mean 7750 or 7790?) require PCI-E 2 at the very least. Personally, I would save up to build an APU based rig if you really need to game.
  2. What is the model of your core 2 duo? i am having a hard time looking it up. also what is your budget for this upgrade? A good cpu to do a simple gpu upgrade would be the Corsair CX430. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026 And depending on the clock speed of your processor. You should be ok putting anything up to about a 7770 in there.
  3. Thanatos Telos said:
    Your English is pretty good. Anyway, I doubt that they'll work. The 650 and 6790 (Are you sure you don't mean 7750 or 7790?) require PCI-E 2 at the very least. Personally, I would save up to build an APU based rig if you really need to game.


    Pci is backwards compatable. It will work in a pc-e 1.0 It just wont have full bandwidth. which will limit it some. But still fully functional.
  4. It is going to be long post, so please do not quote, as it will take a lot of space, lol.
    What I typically see that Optiplex owners do not realize that Optiplex was designed ans business model - it is so crowded inside and it is so difficult to fit components inside, let me explain.
    First of all, I don't see anywhere to be mentioned the form factor.
    In order to better provide you with possible choices please identify your case form factor. This is Optiplex 755 family line picture, please name your form factor:

    So, judging by the comments it is seems like you have MT, Mini Tower, if I am not correct, then the rest of information below is not applicable.
    Mini Tower is not that "huge" as you think. You can not fit just any video card. Watch this video first, all Optiplexes share about the same hardware architecture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbVoe-4_oZ0
    Unfortunately no card that is more than 7.5 inches long or 2 slots wide will PHYSICALLY FIT inside the case - it was found that only single bracket video card can fit due to BTX MOBO, where card internals facing upward towards PC internals, not ATX, where dual card design is blocking another PCI slot by facing downward.
    If you prefer the card with beefier fan, then the length of the card must not exceed 7.5 inches, otherwise only "skinny" single bracket, single slot cards can physically fit.

    Pictures below will prove my point.

    View shows no room for dual bracket

    Single bracket only, or you have to cut dual bracket in half

    Here you can clearly see only single place for the bracket

    Visual explanation

    7.5 inches explained, also shown "obstacles"

    This is the picture of actual "skinny" single slot video card (not sure which model)- perfect, "glove" fit.

    So, I found 2 GDDR5 7750 cards (GDDR5 is better than GDDR3, even if GDD3 offers 2 GB RAM), which confirmed in reviews to fit Optiplex gx620, 745 and 755 cases (the difference between those models are different processors).

    Skinny, flimsier in terms of construction, completely single slot XFX 7750 http://www.amazon.com/XFX-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-FX775AZNP4-FX-775A-ZNP4/dp/B007Z3T5JC
    A bit beefier cooler, not as skinny, more durable in construction PowerColor AX7750 http://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-AX7750-1GBD5-DH-Video-Graphics/dp/B00775OC28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362783129&sr=8-1&keywords=AX7750+1GBD5-DH

    I cannot say which one of those 2 is better, both are good and got less bad reviews related to structural build.
    I saw recent recommendation regarding drivers "Changing to the just-released AMD catalyst 13.2 BETA driver improved performance noticeably in just about every game" posted 03/05/2013.

    Since I heard that you want stronger video card, here are a few more options, which will physically fit inside.
    So far I found only one 7770 video card which will fit inside - PowerColor AX7770 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131477
    From NVIDIA I see SPARKLE 700025 (SX650TI1024KD) GeForce GTX 650 Ti http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187200
    HIS H777FN1G Radeon HD 7770 very tight fit, almost touching heatsink http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161433
    I just check all newegg for single bracket again and noting more powerful!
    So this is it.
    7750 cards do not require power supply upgrade, 650 TI and 7770 are.
    If you decide to go with power supply upgrade cards let me know, I need to check fit limitations, it is not that bad, but there are some problems as well.
  5. A few more questions, only if you are interested in upgrades - what is your current processor (please provide model) and how much RAM you currently have? Those are 2 parts which will give you improvements in games as well, SSD would not help in games.
  6. Thanatos Telos said:
    Your English is pretty good. Anyway, I doubt that they'll work. The 650 and 6790 (Are you sure you don't mean 7750 or 7790?) require PCI-E 2 at the very least. Personally, I would save up to build an APU based rig if you really need to game.



    Thank you for your compliment. I mean the 650 and the 6790. I though that PCI-E are backwards compatible. So you think that the 7770 and 7750 will fit in my PC?
  7. tenaciousk said:
    Thanatos Telos said:
    Your English is pretty good. Anyway, I doubt that they'll work. The 650 and 6790 (Are you sure you don't mean 7750 or 7790?) require PCI-E 2 at the very least. Personally, I would save up to build an APU based rig if you really need to game.


    Pci is backwards compatable. It will work in a pc-e 1.0 It just wont have full bandwidth. which will limit it some. But still fully functional.



    So how much do you think will be the perfomance loss?
  8. Kisianik thanks for your answer. I have the "MT" Mini Tower Chassis. I think I will go with the 7770. So only these 2 models of 7770s will fit in my case? Aren't there other models of 7770s that will fit in my chassis as I am having trouble finding them as I dont live in the U.S. And you are saying that the 7750 doesn't require a PSU upgrade as I have a 305 w PSU that came with my CPU. And one more thing how much power supply does the 7770 require. Will it run on my stock 305 w PSU?
  9. Kisianik said:
    A few more questions, only if you are interested in upgrades - what is your current processor (please provide model) and how much RAM you currently have? Those are 2 parts which will give you improvements in games as well, SSD would not help in games.


    My processor is the Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66 GHZ.

    I currently have 4 GB of DDR2 Ram on my PC.
  10. Where do you live? Do you have online, Internet computer parts retailers, I need names or links - to make it easy for you, it took me about 10 minutes to check all inventory of newegg, I need to see pictures only first, next I show you a few models to check, it would not be difficult. Try me, you have nothing to loose, plus you said you have no time to wait.
    And I will see how I can explain the situation better, but this will take time.
  11. Hey Kisianik,

    Could you please help me. Actually I'm going to upgrade my GPU next week. So, I've 2 options in mind which is as follows:
    ZOTAC GTX 650 1GB DDR5 or
    SAPPHIRE 7770 HD 1GB DDR5.
    could you please tell me, who is best among these two graphic cards, no issue of more or less power consumption. Second-Is both the cards is compatible with my motherboard which is GIGABYTE GA-G41M COMBO MOBO.
    I need better performance rather average gpu.
    having a cpu of intel e7500 2.93ghz core 2 duo.
  12. Manish Aswal said:
    Hey Kisianik,

    Could you please help me. Actually I'm going to upgrade my GPU next week. So, I've 2 options in mind which is as follows:
    ZOTAC GTX 650 1GB DDR5 or
    SAPPHIRE 7770 HD 1GB DDR5.
    could you please tell me, who is best among these two graphic cards, no issue of more or less power consumption. Second-Is both the cards is compatible with my motherboard which is GIGABYTE GA-G41M COMBO MOBO.
    I need better performance rather average gpu.
    having a cpu of intel e7500 2.93ghz core 2 duo.



    I think that the Ati Radeon HD 7770 is better than the Nvidia Geforce GTX 650. 7770 is a bit faster than GTX 650.
  13. Kisianik said:
    Where do you live? Do you have online, Internet computer parts retailers, I need names or links - to make it easy for you, it took me about 10 minutes to check all inventory of newegg, I need to see pictures only first, next I show you a few models to check, it would not be difficult. Try me, you have nothing to loose, plus you said you have no time to wait.
    And I will see how I can explain the situation better, but this will take time.



    I live in Pakistan ( Asia ) :D. I have an online, Internet computer parts retailer. I will provide the link for the online store below:


    Galaxy Store Pakistan : http://www.google.com.pk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=galaxy%20store&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgalaxy.com.pk%2F&ei=UWtYUfq6LsHGPaf_gcgH&usg=AFQjCNGO3FR5H3DVoGK0Zrjgjepv988VMg
  14. Manish Aswal said:
    Hey Kisianik,

    Could you please help me. Actually I'm going to upgrade my GPU next week. So, I've 2 options in mind which is as follows:
    ZOTAC GTX 650 1GB DDR5 or
    SAPPHIRE 7770 HD 1GB DDR5.
    could you please tell me, who is best among these two graphic cards, no issue of more or less power consumption. Second-Is both the cards is compatible with my motherboard which is GIGABYTE GA-G41M COMBO MOBO.
    I need better performance rather average gpu.
    having a cpu of intel e7500 2.93ghz core 2 duo.


    It is not nice to hijack someone else tread, but since the answer could help OP (original poster, common abbreviation on forums), I will answer.
    7770 is very superior to 650
    DX11
    Ultra mode
    4x MSAA enabled
    16x AF enabled
    HBAO enabled
    Level: Operation Swordbreaker

    Image Quality setting:

    Level Contingency
    4x Anti-Aliasing
    16x Anisotropic Filtering
    All settings maxed out

    This came from http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_650_msi_power_edition_review,8.html
  15. Stryker13799 said:
    Kisianik said:
    Where do you live? Do you have online, Internet computer parts retailers, I need names or links - to make it easy for you, it took me about 10 minutes to check all inventory of newegg, I need to see pictures only first, next I show you a few models to check, it would not be difficult. Try me, you have nothing to loose, plus you said you have no time to wait.
    And I will see how I can explain the situation better, but this will take time.



    I live in Pakistan ( Asia ) :D. I have an online, Internet computer parts retailer. I will provide the link for the online store below:


    Galaxy Store Pakistan : http://www.google.com.pk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=galaxy%20store&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgalaxy.com.pk%2F&ei=UWtYUfq6LsHGPaf_gcgH&usg=AFQjCNGO3FR5H3DVoGK0Zrjgjepv988VMg


    Checking it right now, I can feel your pain, that is one very poor retailer, only a few choices.
    Is there any more online retailers, English is a plus, but not mandatory, I just need model numbers or pictures.
  16. There got to be more options, or it is the only one place you can buy your video card? They have only a few brand names and the one which can fit do not have price listed, which means that they do not have merchandise in stock, am I correct? If price is missing, can you order from them and they will make it happened (like ordering from outside of Pakistan)?
    So far I can see only very slow cards available there which can fit inside....
    Considering existing options, I would not even talk about upgrading other parts, as it will require to have very good supplier, the one you provided has very poor inventory.
  17. I found something, will post soon I hope, however can not comment on the quality of the products, since those names mean nothing to me - Club 3D, checking
  18. Best answer
    OK. I need to know how much you can spend in your money, I found one so far which fits http://www.autechnologies.com/graphic-cards-ati-radeon-ati-club-3d-7770-pakistan-p.2762.aspx this one will require power supply upgrade, might take a while to check this.
    How much time you have, I need up to 3-4 days at most, maybe less depending on luck.
  19. I found many more suppliers now. Next I need approximately how much you can spend, so I would not waste my time looking for something you can not afford.
    After you provide me with maximum (do not include your taxes, I don't know how it is working there) you can spend I will proceed with more suggestions.
    Right now I am looking for good brand name in power supply category.
    Pakistan has a lot of small retailers online, but so far none of them can rpovide all you need in one place, so it will take time.

    MONEY, please provide as soon as possible. Consider how much you can spend for all hardware, not just graphic card, I will figure out how to spent them....
  20. Kisianik said:
    I found many more suppliers now. Next I need approximately how much you can spend, so I would not waste my time looking for something you can not afford.
    After you provide me with maximum (do not include your taxes, I don't know how it is working there) you can spend I will proceed with more suggestions.
    Right now I am looking for good brand name in power supply category.
    Pakistan has a lot of small retailers online, but so far none of them can rpovide all you need in one place, so it will take time.


    MONEY, please provide as soon as possible. Consider how much you can spend for all hardware, not just graphic card, I will figure out how to spent them....



    He Kisianik thanks for your quick replies and all of your help and time in finding Graphics Cards for me. As the answer to your question I can spend around Rs. 22000 or a little more if absolutely necessary. And 1 more thing, I think my Processor will bottlencek my GPU and as my Motherboard only has PCI-E 1.0 there is going to be perfomance loss of the Graphics Card. So including the bottleneck and the limitations of the PCI-E 1.0 slot how much do you think will be the perfomacne loss of the Graphics Card?
  21. I got this, not at home now, but remember that it should be about right, more information tomorrow morning.
  22. Kisianik said:
    I got this, not at home now, but remember that it should be about right, more information tomorrow morning.



    Ok but now it is time for me to buy a Graphics Card. So I guess I'll go with the Club3d 7770 and buy a new PSU of around 550-600w. So if you have anything to say then you should say it now because then I'll choose the solution ( your's of course ). Thank you so much for your help Kisianik. Without you I could never have bought a Graphics Card.

    P.S : Is there any way you can add me as a friend on Tom's Hardware so if I have any questions I'll be sure to ask you about them:D
  23. I found power supply for you - 2 choices, you can afford both of them, it is within your 22,000 target
    1. Cheaper, but still good and modular (better cable management), but little power reserve http://beliscity.com/computers_supplies_utilities_power_supply/c4_1547_2579/p48648/thermaltake_tr2_rx_passive_power_supply_550w_modular/product_info.pakistan.html
    2. Much stronger, and therefore more expensive, also worse cable management http://beliscity.com/computers_supplies_utilities_power_supply/c4_1547_2579/p48652/thermaltake_tr2_active_power_supply_700w_non_modular/product_info.pakistan.html

    You can go with option 1 if money are very tight, if it was me I would go with option 2 and this power supply will live forever.

    We done. I would ask just 1 favor - if you like my answers please select solved, appreciate.
  24. Kisianik said:
    I found power supply for you - 2 choices, you can afford both of them, it is within your 22,000 target
    1. Cheaper, but still good and modular (better cable management), but little power reserve http://beliscity.com/computers_supplies_utilities_power_supply/c4_1547_2579/p48648/thermaltake_tr2_rx_passive_power_supply_550w_modular/product_info.pakistan.html
    2. Much stronger, and therefore more expensive, also worse cable management http://beliscity.com/computers_supplies_utilities_power_supply/c4_1547_2579/p48652/thermaltake_tr2_active_power_supply_700w_non_modular/product_info.pakistan.html


    You can go with option 1 if money are very tight, if it was me I would go with option 2 and this power supply will live forever.

    We done. I would ask just 1 favor - if you like my answers please select solved, appreciate.



    Thank you for all your help Kisianik. You have been much help to me for the past few days. I have selected the solution and that is the answer where you gave me the link to the Club3d HD 7770. Many thanks to you :D :D:D: D:D:D:D
  25. The forum doesn't have 'friends' option, but you can send me private message by clicking on my name, if more help needed. Also, if you have any friends with Dell computers who need help, they can post their questions, just send a PM to me with link to their post. My specialty is upgrading any Dell computers, and by now I already have Pakistan retailers on my list, so it would be much easier to help.
  26. Hi Stryker13799
    Sorry for "re-opening" this threat, but there is a lot useful information provided by Kisianik

    Does the 7770 work for you ?
    Did you had to upgrade the Power Supply ? (I don't want to do this)

    I am in the same situation as you, having 2 desktops
    Optiplex 755 Mini-tower
    Optiplex 960 Desktop

    Currently having a Radeon HD 5450 (optiplex 960) and got used to the low performance with new Games
    I wanted to buy the 7750 (for the optiplex 960) but then i got informed about the 7770 and GTX 650 (both are faster)

    So now I have found 3 low power cards
    Radeon HD 7750
    GeForce GTX 650
    Radeon HD 7770

    Does the 7770 fit into the 755 and 960 ? without replacing the power supply ?

    thank you
  27. pSyLoX said:
    Hi Stryker13799
    Sorry for "re-opening" this threat, but there is a lot useful information provided by Kisianik

    Does the 7770 work for you ?
    Did you had to upgrade the Power Supply ? (I don't want to do this)

    I am in the same situation as you, having 2 desktops
    Optiplex 755 Mini-tower
    Optiplex 960 Desktop

    Currently having a Radeon HD 5450 (optiplex 960) and got used to the low performance with new Games
    I wanted to buy the 7750 (for the optiplex 960) but then i got informed about the 7770 and GTX 650 (both are faster)

    So now I have found 3 low power cards
    Radeon HD 7750
    GeForce GTX 650
    Radeon HD 7770

    Does the 7770 fit into the 755 and 960 ? without replacing the power supply ?

    thank you





    Create new thread/post and PM me the link, I will help you (I will PM you the same).
Ask a new question

Read More

Optiplex Graphics Cards Dell Graphics