FX-8350 Voltage Drops On Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Hellsrage

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
I'm having issues OCing my FX-8350 I'm using a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 3.0. This is my first time OCing so I really have no clue what to change besides what guides here and there say and this BIOS is rather lack luster. I'll post pics of my BIOS and some screen caps of temps ect. below, if someone sees what I did wrong please let me know, this throttling and voltage drop is really annoying me.
XYneoJz.png

XEsbL3d.jpg

TIlwk10.jpg

r0fJGpy.jpg

As you may have noticed the voltage and clock speed are different from the screen cap and BIOS pics, the screen cap is current. So CPU is at 4.6, voltage at 1.46.

The voltage goes from 1.46 to .94 and the multiplier goes from x22 to x7.

Hellsrage

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

Not really sure how to do that or if it is even possible. This BIOS lacks proper features and it appears from a owner thread I read my board doesn't have APM control via the BIOS right now. So by default it's enabled which is most likely why I'm experiencing throttling.

Just read more and yup, it appears voltages cannot be set statically right now either.

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
does the voltage, and frequency jump back and forth? or is it just dropping? I would check to see if you have apm (application power management) running, and diable it. I had a problem with that, on an amd.

Hellsrage

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

It goes back and forth, yeah I learned about APM yesterday and also found out as of right now my BIOS has now feature to disable it.

Rayhoze

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
First.. Get into Power Settings.. and Select Maximun Performance.. then.. Get into the Catalyst Control Center.. and make sure that you "Maximun Performance" profile.. dont have Frequency Variations

WebWalker55

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013

That behavior is NORMAL if your CPU is not loaded (kept busy with something like Prime95). I had similar behavior at idle, it went away when I cranked on the Torture Test. High-power car engines idle rough as a saw blade but are a scream under load. This oscillation of CPU settings seems (in my case) to be a similar kind of event. Try it (check your CPU voltage & multipliers under steady full load) and tell us what happened?

BTW Rev3 of UD3 board has a reputation for serious heat problems on the PWM that can limit overclockability, if not life span of the board.

Hellsrage

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

No. That is not normal behavior when overclocking, if you had all the Cool N' Quite ect. features still enabled, then yes you would see fluctuation. But since I was overclocking I turned ALL of those features off. You should see a steady stream of the same voltage with some ups and downs depending on what LLC setting you are using. Instead the VRMs would get too hot and the voltage would be dropped as a safety measure to prevent damage to components, this is solved by placing a fan over the VRM heat sink, after doing this I am now running 4.5GHz with steady clock speed and steady voltage it will go from 1.404 to 1.428 when going from idle to load but never lower then 1.404, just as it should.

If you want to know more you can read the last 500 pages here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1023100/official-gigabyte-ga-990fxa-series-owners-thread-club/6900

Me and a few others discussed a lot of things about this board inside this owners club thread.