Solved

Game doesn't use all my GPU?

When I play a game like nexuiz and max everything for a stress test it uses 90-99% of my GPU getting 30-40fps. I play a game like Warframe and the fps keeps fluctuating. It gets 80fps sometimes then drops to 40, goes to 50 drops to 35, goes back to 70. I check the gpu usage and it's only using like 50% of my gpu. Is there a way to allocate more of my GPU power to the game to get a consistent 60+ fps?
28 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about game gpu
  1. No. Some games are just poorly optimized, or take more from the CPU, so your CPU is at 100% and the GPU idles whilst waiting for the CPU to catch up.
  2. Best answer
    No, because what's happening is that your processor isn't calculating and sending frames to be rendered to the graphics card fast enough - this is called a bottleneck, and will be fixed with overclocking or a better processor.
  3. I say DarkSable deserves best answer he nailed it!I couldn't of said it better myself.
  4. bigcyco1 said:
    I say DarkSable deserves best answer he nailed it!I couldn't of said it better myself.


    *Bows.*

    Not trying to undermine you, by the way, just trying to understand the new forums rules: don't you have the option of selecting a best answer?
  5. DarkSable said:
    bigcyco1 said:
    I say DarkSable deserves best answer he nailed it!I couldn't of said it better myself.


    *Bows.*

    Not trying to undermine you, by the way, just trying to understand the new forums rules: don't you have the option of selecting a best answer?

    Yes i do i don't understand why though :heink: i think there is quite a few issues that need fixed.
  6. DarkSable said:
    No, because what's happening is that your processor isn't calculating and sending frames to be rendered to the graphics card fast enough - this is called a bottleneck, and will be fixed with overclocking or a better processor.


    Are you 100% sure it's bottleneck? This guy on youtube has the same gpu as me and running the same game and he's getting 100fps avg with a 2gb 7850 + AMD Athlon II X4 640 cpu. I have the A8-3870k which isn't a bad cpu.
  7. romeodakins said:
    DarkSable said:
    No, because what's happening is that your processor isn't calculating and sending frames to be rendered to the graphics card fast enough - this is called a bottleneck, and will be fixed with overclocking or a better processor.


    Are you 100% sure it's bottleneck? This guy on youtube has the same gpu as me and running the same game and he's getting 100fps avg with a 2gb 7850 + AMD Athlon II X4 640 cpu. I have the A8-3870k which isn't a bad cpu.


    Run Afterburner and check your GPU usage. If you are running at 99% GPU usage in that particular game, then you have no bottleneck. If you are running at less than 99% GPU usage, particularly if its closer to 50% or less in that particular game, then you have a CPU bottleneck. Make sure VSync is off to get a true reading of your potential GPU/CPU load.
  8. bigcyco1 said:
    Yes i do i don't understand why though :heink: i think there is quite a few issues that need fixed.


    I think we earn it by being "reliable pillars of the community" - i.e. by being on the top 10 list.

    romeodakins said:
    Are you 100% sure it's bottleneck? This guy on youtube has the same gpu as me and running the same game and he's getting 100fps avg with a 2gb 7850 + AMD Athlon II X4 640 cpu. I have the A8-3870k which isn't a bad cpu.


    Not 100% sure, no, but it SURE sounds like it. Wait, you're running an A8 with a 7850? It's not really designed to be used as a gaming CPU - it's selling point is the fact that it has good onboard graphics.
  9. romeodakins said:
    DarkSable said:
    No, because what's happening is that your processor isn't calculating and sending frames to be rendered to the graphics card fast enough - this is called a bottleneck, and will be fixed with overclocking or a better processor.


    Are you 100% sure it's bottleneck? This guy on youtube has the same gpu as me and running the same game and he's getting 100fps avg with a 2gb 7850 + AMD Athlon II X4 640 cpu. I have the A8-3870k which isn't a bad cpu.

    Any combination of parts can bottleneck, one component has to top out before the other, or you would have an infinitely powerful system.
  10. DarkSable said:
    bigcyco1 said:
    Yes i do i don't understand why though :heink: i think there is quite a few issues that need fixed.


    I think we earn it by being "reliable pillars of the community" - i.e. by being on the top 10 list.

    romeodakins said:
    Are you 100% sure it's bottleneck? This guy on youtube has the same gpu as me and running the same game and he's getting 100fps avg with a 2gb 7850 + AMD Athlon II X4 640 cpu. I have the A8-3870k which isn't a bad cpu.


    Not 100% sure, no, but it SURE sounds like it. Wait, you're running an A8 with a 7850? It's not really designed to be used as a gaming CPU - it's selling point is the fact that it has good onboard graphics.



    I had a 6670 before with my apu but I upgraded but I don't feel like upgrading my mobo and cpu since I heard cpu isn't that important for gaming. The person on Youtube has an Athlon II X4 640 cpu which isn't that much better than mine.
  11. The cpu isn't that important for gaming, no, but if it isn't powerful enough, than you get a bottleneck, like what's happening here.

    Also, depending on if he's overclocking at all, it's anywhere from a little to a fair bit better than yours, by enough to alleviate a potential bottleneck. That being said, however, ignore the guy on youtube. His experience has so many variables that differ from yours that it simply doesn't matter.

    Here's what you should do: Go into the game that's giving you the most trouble. Run it on high, then medium, then low settings, and record your FPS, then report back here.

    If you've got a CPU bottleneck, then your fps as you go up from low to high will stay the same until the point where your graphics card can't handle the level of detail.
  12. DarkSable said:
    The cpu isn't that important for gaming, no, but if it isn't powerful enough, than you get a bottleneck, like what's happening here.

    Also, depending on if he's overclocking at all, it's anywhere from a little to a fair bit better than yours, by enough to alleviate a potential bottleneck. That being said, however, ignore the guy on youtube. His experience has so many variables that differ from yours that it simply doesn't matter.

    Here's what you should do: Go into the game that's giving you the most trouble. Run it on high, then medium, then low settings, and record your FPS, then report back here.

    If you've got a CPU bottleneck, then your fps as you go up from low to high will stay the same until the point where your graphics card can't handle the level of detail.



    So for a bottleneck to happen the CPU would be running at 100% and the gpu would be at like 50% right? I monitored my CPU and GPU and my GPU doesn't go about 40-50% and my CPU doesn't go above 50% so why isn't the CPU running at 90-99%
  13. DarkSable said:
    The cpu isn't that important for gaming, no, but if it isn't powerful enough, than you get a bottleneck, like what's happening here.

    Also, depending on if he's overclocking at all, it's anywhere from a little to a fair bit better than yours, by enough to alleviate a potential bottleneck. That being said, however, ignore the guy on youtube. His experience has so many variables that differ from yours that it simply doesn't matter.

    Here's what you should do: Go into the game that's giving you the most trouble. Run it on high, then medium, then low settings, and record your FPS, then report back here.

    If you've got a CPU bottleneck, then your fps as you go up from low to high will stay the same until the point where your graphics card can't handle the level of detail.



    Hey I just tried running the game at lowest settings and I still had the same issues where it dips to 40-50 fps occasionally. So does that mean it is the game's side and not my pc? What could be causing these problems? Or could it still be my cpu?
  14. romeodakins said:
    So for a bottleneck to happen the CPU would be running at 100% and the gpu would be at like 50% right? I monitored my CPU and GPU and my GPU doesn't go about 40-50% and my CPU doesn't go above 50% so why isn't the CPU running at 90-99%


    Yep, that's the way it works - if the cores the games are running on are at full load, though, not your entire CPU. However, I think warframe is multithreaded. (someone check me on that?) I have two questions now:

    The first is what happens when you turn the settings down to low.

    The second is what do your temps look like as you're playing and it lags out?
  15. romeodakins said:
    Hey I just tried running the game at lowest settings and I still had the same issues where it dips to 40-50 fps occasionally. So does that mean it is the game's side and not my pc? What could be causing these problems? Or could it still be my cpu?


    Well, that could just be a place with, say, a lot of explosions, which is a lot harder for the graphics card to render.

    It could be that you've got a heat issue, and your parts are downclocking themselves.

    Or it could be a driver issue. Do you know what drivers you're using?
  16. romeodakins said:

    So for a bottleneck to happen the CPU would be running at 100% and the gpu would be at like 50% right? I monitored my CPU and GPU and my GPU doesn't go about 40-50% and my CPU doesn't go above 50% so why isn't the CPU running at 90-99%

    the cpu doesn't have to be loaded at full 100% for it to cause bottlenecking, most games cant really use multicore cpus efficiently. As long as the games main thread fully loads the core it is running on there will be a bottleneck situation. So on a quadcore that would be 25% load (plus some extra from other worker threads)...
  17. DarkSable said:
    romeodakins said:
    Hey I just tried running the game at lowest settings and I still had the same issues where it dips to 40-50 fps occasionally. So does that mean it is the game's side and not my pc? What could be causing these problems? Or could it still be my cpu?


    Well, that could just be a place with, say, a lot of explosions, which is a lot harder for the graphics card to render.

    It could be that you've got a heat issue, and your parts are downclocking themselves.

    Or it could be a driver issue. Do you know what drivers you're using?


    I did a full gpu driver reinstall yesterday and have ccc 13.1 I checked my temps and they are around 30s mid 40s. And the lags do occur more often during explosions and where there are npcs.
  18. romeodakins said:
    I did a full gpu driver reinstall yesterday and have ccc 13.1 I checked my temps and they are around 30s mid 40s. And the lags do occur more often during explosions and where there are npcs.


    Well, it's likely not a driver issue, then, and your temps are fine.

    Having trouble around npcs makes me think we're back to the CPU again, though. Try disabling two cores and gaming again, and see how it does, load-wise.
  19. DarkSable said:
    romeodakins said:
    I did a full gpu driver reinstall yesterday and have ccc 13.1 I checked my temps and they are around 30s mid 40s. And the lags do occur more often during explosions and where there are npcs.


    Well, it's likely not a driver issue, then, and your temps are fine.

    Having trouble around npcs makes me think we're back to the CPU again, though. Try disabling two cores and gaming again, and see how it does, load-wise.



    How do I disable 2 cores?
  20. DarkSable said:


    I just tried disabling 2 cores and the game runs the same as normal. Same drops when npcs come.
  21. romeodakins said:
    I just tried disabling 2 cores and the game runs the same as normal. Same drops when npcs come.


    That means that it's only able to use one or two cores, then, as Kari thought.

    Which means we're back to CPU bottleneck.
  22. It's the cpu you need to upgrade it doesn't matter what you saw on youtube.Do what i said run Afterburner and check your GPU usage. If you are running at 99% GPU usage in that particular game, then you have no bottleneck. If you are running at less than 99% GPU usage, particularly if its closer to 50% or less in that particular game, then you have a CPU bottleneck. Make sure VSync is off to get a true reading of your potential GPU/CPU load.
  23. So if I monitor my CPU usage with 4 cores on and it goes to 50% it means my cores are actually running 100% usage since the game only utilizes 2 cores?
  24. I have a 2500k OC @4.6ghz and a GTX 670FTW OC @1293 and I get major fps dips during certain maps/areas.

    Warframe uses only 40-50% of my gpu as well. I can max battlefield 3 @60fps and many more demanding games, yet I get worse fps in this game.

    I haven't found any fixes for it... must be poorly optimized.
  25. DarkSable said:
    The cpu isn't that important for gaming, no, but if it isn't powerful enough, than you get a bottleneck, like what's happening here.

    Also, depending on if he's overclocking at all, it's anywhere from a little to a fair bit better than yours, by enough to alleviate a potential bottleneck. That being said, however, ignore the guy on youtube. His experience has so many variables that differ from yours that it simply doesn't matter.

    Here's what you should do: Go into the game that's giving you the most trouble. Run it on high, then medium, then low settings, and record your FPS, then report back here.

    If you've got a CPU bottleneck, then your fps as you go up from low to high will stay the same until the point where your graphics card can't handle the level of detail.



    I got the same problem with warframe, point is that i played this game at 120fps stable and everything on high.. then i shut down my pc go back school get back home. start up pc and i get 15fps max?! wtf and if i put everything on low it gives me 22fps, i have played this game stable for 1 year now.. what could this be?
  26. romeodakins said:
    When I play a game like nexuiz and max everything for a stress test it uses 90-99% of my GPU getting 30-40fps. I play a game like Warframe and the fps keeps fluctuating. It gets 80fps sometimes then drops to 40, goes to 50 drops to 35, goes back to 70. I check the gpu usage and it's only using like 50% of my gpu. Is there a way to allocate more of my GPU power to the game to get a consistent 60+ fps?


    Im having the same issue, but my cpu isn't ever over 60%
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Games Graphics